I don't wanna be hugged, poked, snowballed, or wrestled . . .

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Feb 23, 2009

on Facebook. ;) Don't get me wrong, I do log onto FB to see what friends and others are up to, but really? I haven't talked to you since high school or college and you now feel close enough to poke me or put me in your "Top Friends"? There are no cutesy things on my page. I'm not growing any flowers, putting up flair, buying any drinks, or any personality maps, etc. I'm not trying to diss people who do these things, but how can I tell people that constantly send me these kind of invites to knock it off?

Anyone else think FB is becoming silly?

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 23, 2009

lol...I poke my boyfriend sometimes...or my friend in England...that's all...
    yeah...those "I sent you a smile" things are kinda dumb...why not just call me and say hi?

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 23, 2009

I have a friend that does that to me. I hate it!

5. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Feb 23, 2009

I am glad myspace has none of those things! I only have a myspace.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 23, 2009

Maybe put that in your STATUS... Miss J is tired of being hugged, poked, etc. Can't you just stop by and say "HI!"?

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2009

I just ignore them if I don't want to mess with them. The people who sent them to you will never ever know. ;)

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2009

I'm not getting poked, but I'm getting pretty full on sushi and cocktails!!!:)

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2009

When you view the requests, right under each one there is the option to ignore invites from the person who sent it and to block the application.

I have some people blocked, and I have some applications blocked. I also choose "ignore all" when I've got a bunch of them, even if it's something that I normally do just because I've got too much "stuff" going on.

Block away!

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 23, 2009

I can't figure out just what a poke is. I have poked a friend and she has poked back just to see what would happen. The best I can figure out is that it is a way to see if the other person would even acknowledge you before requesting them as friends. I have also gotten a couple of cocktails and sushi and the like, but accepteing them always means my profile and those of my friends are completely opened to someone, so I never accept those. I did write a message to the people who sent them saying I don't accept those things because I want to keep my profile and those of my friends private. I really don't understand all the throwing beads and cocktails and so on either. I'm just trying to figure out the basics at this point.

11. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Feb 23, 2009

Oh, it does....just don't install any of the apps and you'll be poke-free.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 23, 2009

Haha I was just wondering about this! Today I went on Facebook since I got some e-mails saying that some friends sent me messages. So I go and see that I have been poked AND had beads thrown at me? I tried to throw them back but it didn't work!!

13. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2009

LOL, MYSPACE does have them. :lol:

14. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Feb 24, 2009

Hmm, I didn't know that. I usually choose ignore individually on all apps I get sent, but I didn't know you could choose to ignore all. This is something I've wondered . . . does the person who keeps sending me things not see that I'm ignoring them? I guess not.

I guess I'm paranoid, but I worry about the cookies and other tracking things these apps might put on my computer if I accept. And I do want to keep my profile private, just because I am a teacher.

15. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2009

I've been getting email from people I've never heard of, inviting me to join facebook.

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 24, 2009

The best thing you can do is click on the "block application" under requests you never want to see again (such as that bead tossing). They can send 'em but you won't get 'em!

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 24, 2009

I have been completely ignoring the e-mails and dealing only with the requests that show up on my home page when I log onto the site. I have no idea what is going on, but I get e-mails at one account saying that so-and-so has requested my as a friend, but the request doesn't show up on my home page. And the account I use to sign in is not the account where I get these request e-mails! :dizzy:

18. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Feb 25, 2009

Oh, well I have never seen any of those things! yeah, I dont install any apps!

19. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2009

I don't even have a facebook account. I'm not sure I've even ever been to the website.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 25, 2009

I would ignore them too. They might be spam or phishing e-mails that try to get your name and password so they could hack into your account. I get those types of e-mails on AOL all the time and just delete them.

21. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Feb 25, 2009

My husband and I have been "poking" each since August 2007. It's different because he's my husband and I think it's fun. If other people did it, I would probably ignore it. I don't even know how to start it.

22. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Feb 25, 2009

I think it is hilarious! I mean if you do not like it, just ignore it!

23. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Feb 25, 2009

I just click ignore on any applications for which I don't want to participate. The sender doesn't have to know. You can also x out any applications for which you don't want to receive any notifications. Click on applications tab on the bottom left corner and when the box pops up, click edit. I receive a lot of fun thing from friends and some which are pretty stupid...If I'm not interested, I just click ignore, or take that application from my account.

24. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Feb 25, 2009

You can click security tab to change where/how people search for you. I have a lot people from my hometown and highschool that request me as a friend. These people didn't have anything to do with me back then...so I just click ignore! I don't add people just to add people and have a gazillion friends like my nieces do!!!

I also have my email account set so that all users not in my address book or on my safe list are sent to the junk box. That may help. Check out the security tab and see if that helps with this

25. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Feb 25, 2009

I have hundreds of apps still waiting to be approved by me. I just ignore them. Facebook has become ridiculous with all of these little gadgets. I loved it at the beginning when I was a junior in college, now I never go on. I can't sort through the garbage to see the substance (is there any really) on the website.