I don't understand......is there something wrong with me?!?!

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Ctinevo1, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

So I come in to the school I want to work at to help my friend set up her classroom. I find out that 2 new teachers got hired. One is an INTERN! and the other one is a first year teacher. They had both done their student teaching there! I honestly don't understand why I didn't even get a chance to interview. I also student taught at that school, and I've also subbed for most of the teachers there. I have just as much experience as they do, if not more. I also have my teaching credential and they hired an INTERN? I am really distressed and disappointed right now. All I want to is is cry. I feel like giving up on teaching altogether. I keep hearing stories about teachers "getting lucky" and getting a job. What about me? Is there something wrong with me? Why can't I get lucky like everyone else? I'm just so frustrated and stressed right now.

3. Mavs3982

Mavs3982 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

dont think of them as being "lucky."

look at yourself and think 'what can i do to stand out.' what are those other people doing that is making them get jobs.

-have you done a mini-portfolio to give specifically to the district?
    -have you been following up calls?
    -have you been interviewing well? maybe try brushing up on some q's.

just some thoughts. i know, its hard right now. i am sending ((hugs)) and good vibes your way.

4. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

Oh i understand what you're saying, but I never even gotten called for an interview. Not even a chance. I can understand if I did poorly at the interview and got rejected for a job position. Then it would be my fault for not doing very well. I'm upset because I didn't even get to prove that I can teach and can manage a classroom. It's very hard right now. but thanks

5. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 12, 2006

Ctinevo1: I understand how you feel. I went through a similar experience at a school I subbed at quite a bit. I am also in Southern California and the climate out here is pretty brutal in terms of trying to find a job. However, after reading these boards I'd say the whole country is upside down right now in too many wonderful candidates and not enough jobs. I think unfortunately that many school districts hire Interns over a fully-credentialed teacher because that equals to less money they have to pay them. I know, total politics and it really sucks. I was subbing with LAUSD for 5 years and I finally got my Clear Credential. I saw a teacher who was an intern get hired, and she didn't even have as much experience as I did. It's so @$$backwards really. I mean, the legislature harps on educational "problems" and all these fake politicians want "educational reform", and yet after we go through a gazillion hoops we can't even get the jobs we trained for. I ended up taking a job at a Christian private school because I felt like I was one of many barbarians at the gate. I sent out so many applications, called so many people, and e-mailed until my fingers fell off. (and yes, I felt like a barbarian for wanting a job, it seemed like my credential that I'd worked so hard for all of a suddent meant zilch)

I'm saying all of this to simply say that No, there is nothing wrong with you. You are a wonderful teacher who is just feeling discouragement like so many, and even though I did get a job, I do understand how you feel. You may want to check out charter schools, or even private schools for now. I wouldn't give up on the public schools either. It's just a dog-eat-dog world in education, and unfortunately I am finding that those who "run" the system rarely care about the true quality of their teachers, let alone the well being and sanctity of their young minds. Keep up the good fight, but please don't ever give up. We need good teachers!!

6. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

Thanks Nasimi77 for understanding what I'm going through. I guess I'm not the only one feeling like this. And yes there is the whole politics thing behind it. Well I'm going to talk to the superintendent of personnel on Monday. I think I really need to find out what the hiring and interview process is at this school district. And I also made an appointment to talk to the principal of the school. I'm not going to come in a beg for a job, but yes, I do want answers!

7. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Aug 12, 2006

I have been through the same thing with the school district I subbed at, student taught at, and even graduated from, and have never ever gotten an interview, but I am starting teaching Thursday in a totally different school district, so I am just seeing it as the other school district's loss that they wouldn't even give me a chance. I totally understand how frustrating it is though. Good luck.

8. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 12, 2006

I now how you feel. I am credentialed in special ed. I subbed for LAUSD for seven years and ended up getting a jobs at non-public schools for the last 4 years. At the last school I was at everyone got demoted, laid off or their hours cut except 2 non-credentialed teachers who were the principal's favorites. I have been going on 20 interviews and all I have now is subbing and I do well on interviews too. I honestly think the state and the federal government should look into hiring policies for teachers. Interns should not get jobs when credentialed teachers are out there to fill them! Terry G.

9. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 12, 2006

I couldn't agree more teresaglass. There's some very shady practices going on. I keep hearing of too many stories like Ctinev01's. :cool:

Ctinev01: I think you're wise to talk to the principal. You're right, you deserve answers. Keep us posted.

10. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 12, 2006

Talk to the principal but as Nasimi says keep looking. Apply at Catholic schools and Jewish schools. Jewish schools will hire non-Jewish teachers. Try the California Charter School Association website. They post jobs. Send your resume everywhere. Apply at other districts. Finally sign up for subbing with Kelly Educational Staffing. You can locate them on the kelly Services Website. Also you could sign up for subbing with Teachers On Reserve. You can go on their websie at www.teachersonreserve.com. These agencies send you to sub in private schools. I got a permanent job by working for Teachers On Reerve. Hope this helps. Terry G.

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2006

TerriG thanks for the info on Kelly staffing. They are here on LI too. I just signed up.:)

12. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2006

I could have wrote the exact same thing. I don't know what to say. You and I both know we need an interview to prove outselves, but how do we get one.:rolleyes:

It's the system that is corrupt

13. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 12, 2006

I don't think I have mentioned this here but some of us CPS (Chicago) teachers (including me) have been reccomending the just dress nice and walk right in approach. Around here there were three job fairs that my administration described as "overwhelming" with qualified candidates. They took a certain amount of resumes there and then I am sure they get them e-mailed and faxed daily. I know my principal has a lot going on and if he has qualified resumes from people he met (at the fair) and made a note of he is most likely to look through those (and hire someone) from that stack rather than go to anything mailed or e-mailed. I have never asked him how many things he gets via e-mail, fax, or mail a day. I know I faxed my resume to him from Wisconsin and I never heard squat till I met him IN PERSON at the job fair. I now have 2 years under my belt at his school and well I am getting experience in a large urban school district (where I will most likely stay- In CPS) not at the same school....Anyway I am at home visiting and my dad wants to go out to lunch so I wish you luck and making a personal contact. I'll check in on you later.

14. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

Teresaglass:Thanks so much for for your help I'm going to check out Kelly's Educational Staffing and Teacher's On Reserve.
    ChicagoTurtle: Yes I do understand that meeting the principal in person is a good idea. And I have done that. I've had conversations with him all year. The weird thing is that the district makes the decisions and sends candidates to him. It's so confusing!!
    MissFrizzle: Have you talked to the personnel department? I'm going to talk to the superintendent of personnel services on Monday to see what is going on.

By the way, when I talked to the principal a few days ago, he said there was a 5th grade position available. (5th grade is not me, but i don't care! I'll teach 5th grade for a year as long as I get hired that that school). So that's why i'm going to talk to personnel and ask her what is it going to take for me to get considered for this job position. And next thursday (only day he had available) I'm going to talk to the principal about the job too. Any other suggestions?

15. Teri22G

Teri22G Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

Believe me, I understand how you feel. I had an interview at a school that I did subbing for all year, did long term subbing, volunteered for many activities, etc. They hired a woman who already had a job in the area. My insurance will be up soon, so without a permanent teaching job, I am in trouble. They hired her because she graduated from that school and will bring 3 kids into the district. The district she left only hires new college graduates because they are cheaper. The only reason I have been looking for a job is because a year ago the school I was teaching in closed.

16. Teach4Dachsie

Teach4Dachsie Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

Getting a job and talking to Principals...

I understand your feelings.... I wanted into a VERY competitive school district. The only way we(interns) felt that we could have an edge is to student teach in that district. When we talked to the principal at the school we student taught at she said that she would hire a student teacher before she would interview anyone else... her reasoning was that she knew how they taught, knew their personality, and that they were familiar with the curriculum and atmosphere of the school. I totally understood her point, however, I was not hired and felt let down by the district. I know that we were told not to talk to principals or to hand out our resumes to them as the hiring process was done via the HR office and that this could be thought of as stepping on the HR office toes... which could in turn make your file "disappear". If you question the principals actions it could get around and burn your bridge with all of them. They do talk more than you realize... also principals have access to the HR files and could sticky note the file as a bad apple. Be very careful if its a hard place to get into, the "Good Ole boy network" could come back to hunt you. GOOD LUCK!!!! :sorry: :D

17. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

So should I not go to the HR office or the principal? I just wantsome answers and see if I can maybe have a chance for this 5th grade postition. Is it a bad idea?

18. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 12, 2006

You certainly are not the only one that has happened too. I too can understand your feelings of discouragement because I was a long term sub in a school district for 4 years and this summer the school district hired someone from out of the area for a position I really wanted. Hang in there with the rest of us who are waiting.

19. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 12, 2006

When it happened to me last year, I went and talked to the principal because he would have hired me. It was out of his control. This summer, I asked him about talking with the superintendent and he said that is not looked on favorably. I think it all depends on what kind of relationship you have with the principal. Definitely let him know you are interested in the 5th grade position. I hope it works out for you.

20. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

Thanks. I know I should talk to the principal, but I have a feeling I need to talk to the HR office too. Even if the principal wanted to hire me for the 5th grade position, he has to get permission from HR office. It's so weird! I don't understand it either, but the district works that way

21. Teach4Dachsie

Teach4Dachsie Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

I would be very cautious when talking to anyone... if you feel that they may be dancing around questions you may be overstepping your bounds. I worry for you that if you irritate the wrong person it may do more harm than good. I feel your pain... I ended up going out of the district and getting a job teaching first grade. I will have a 1hr drive but I figured that if I gained the experience I may be able to get in at a later date. In our county it doesn't take much to tick off the wrong person. Again, GOOD LUCK!!!

22. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

I understand. Let me know if this okay when I talk to HR:I'll tell her about my experiences at this school and tell her that I have talked to the principal about open ppostion. And I'll say "I'm am aware there is a 5th grade position at _______. Is there anything that I can do to be considered for this position?" Any other suggestions???

23. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 12, 2006

Oh I was talking about talking to principals in general. I'm not sure what HR's purpose is here because the principals do all the hiring. I still haven't figured out what central office does with hiring people.

ETA --- I filled out the application AFTER I was hired...

24. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

That's why this is so weird. The intern (whom I talked to yesterday) wasn't even interviewed by the principal. She was interviewed by the HR office. Then the HR office sends out a list of potential candidates for the principals to choose from. Then he picked her! It totally doesn't make sense to me!

25. cmc3

cmc3 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

I know it doesn't seem fair. I interviewed at a high school and the principal and asst. principal interviewed me. They told me at the interview that although they might recommend someone to the district, ultimately, the district is looking for possible teachers for the position as well. He said that the final decision is really the district's. It was very frustrating to hear that during an interview but there's nothing you can really do to beat that system. I am in So. Cal as well so I can empathize.

26. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 12, 2006

Every district has different hiring practices. In some districts, the principals hire, in the district I want to teach in, all the principals have to agree on the candidate.

27. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 13, 2006

Ctinevo1: Your welcome for the help. Just try to pursue other avenues after you talk to this district. It helps if you keep your options open.
    Miss Frizzle: Glad you siigned up with kelly. You might want to keep in touch with them to find out when they wil start you. Sometimes you may get a full time job if you long term sub and you can buy insurance through them. They also treat subs very well. I am looking forward to working for them.

Anyway Ctinevo again keep pursuing other avenues. It will help you feel better and may land you a job. I am still looking! Terry G.

28. ChristianJock

ChristianJock Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

This thread describes my experience thus far perfectly.

Since January 2005 I have sent out 172 applications and resume's and have been called once for a phone interview. I have had my resume professionally done three time in hopes it would stand out more. I do not know what it takes anymore to even get an interview.

This year I was especially excited because the school I did both my student teaching and clinical's in were hiring 6 new teachers, 5 in the grades I student taught. The personnel conducting the interview included all 3 of my personal referrences so I was very optimistic that I would at least get a call for an interview. Unfortunately that call never came.

I've grown frustrated now and my husband has noticed I've gotten very depressed. I know not what to do anymore.

All I would like is to figure out how to get my resume / application / creditials looked at more and be considered for interviews.

I've finally decided to start looking elsewhere at other states for jobs and hopefully something will come through.

Stacey

29. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

I'm so glad I'm not the only one in this position! I keep thinking, "Why is this happening to me?" After 5 years of going to school and working so hard to get my credential, it is SO hard to ind a job! I'm broke...I need money....and I want to do what I love to do!
    ChristianJock: I'm really sorry about that. It's such a terrible feeling. I too am feeling depressed right now. Did you talk to the principal to find out why you didn't get hired???

30. ChristianJock

ChristianJock Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

I did speak briefly with the hiring principle and teachers when I saw a couple of them away from school. The answers I recieved were there were more qualified candidates and/or I don't recall specifics. I've substituted full-time since Feb. 2005 with 2 long-term positions and I know for a fact 2 of the candidates chosen were recent graduates with just student teaching experience. One of the chosen is an Intern, the other just graduated this month. So I'm up in the air as to why I wasn't qualified enough. I'm Certified in Regular Education, Adaptive Education and History. These positions were 1st and 2nd grade general ed. teachers.

So now after the frustration has set in, the depression has started and my husband and I are looking at other area's in the country to attempt a relocation/transition.

Also, after looking over alot of threads tonight on this site, I've noticed the cover letters are so ellaborate when mine seems bland. My resume could possibly be the cause of my failure to get interviews also. Although it's been professionally done multiple times and sent out, it may not be geared towards the education profession.

I believe I will search out other resume services online and see what my options are.

I also spoke recently with my old advisor (retired now) and she was unable to offer any suggestions. It seems I was 1 of only 2 students she advised and she hasn't any training in the education advising program at the school I attended. So in alot of area's I'm completely lost.

Even if I do get interviews, I wouldn't know where to begin when they start asking the questions. I know what I know but how to project my knowledge into the interview correctly is where I'm at a loss.

So now I'm at a crossroads trying to decide my next course of action. I really don't want to have to substitute for another year because my husband has been working full-time since our marriage last summer and has put off finishing school until I find employment.

Frustrated.......

31. iharding

iharding Companion

Aug 13, 2006

I know exactly how you feel. Last year I applied at every school in the area of Indianapolis. I only got one call the entire summer and it wasn't until August. The only reason why I even got that is because I know someone in HR at that school. The interview was for a 3rd grade position and I ended up getting an aid position at that school instead. It was very frustrating. Now this year again I applied at every school in the area of Indy. I again only got one call and one actual interview. The first teacher day is this coming Monday and I didn't get word of a job until Friday night. It was and is crazy. It seems at in Indiana you won't hear anything if you don't have actual teaching experience (as in you had a contact the year before) until the week before or the week that school starts. I wish you good luck. I am not sure when your school starts but if it isn't this coming week don't stress to much. Most schools don't do their hiring until they see the kids walk in the door and they know they don't have enough teachers.

32. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2006

One thing to think about. I had my application in at the district office. I never heard from anyone. I finally went to the HR department and they told me that no one could look at my file because it was missing something. I had asked someone for a private personal reference and he forgot to submit it. Maybe that could be the angle you need to approach HR. Ask if they could see if everything is ok in your file and aplication. Maybe then you could start a dialogue on how to get a job.

33. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

ChristianJock: Did you talk to the principal about open positions during the school year? Did you have a good relationshop with him/her? The reason I"m asking is becuase I had a good relationship with the principal. His son was in my student teaching class. And I also knew his wife. I had talked to him throughout the year about open positions and on the last day of school, he even asked me if I was interested in a second grade position that might be opening up? That's why I don't understnd why I didn't even get an interview! It doesn't make sense!
    Terptoteacher: I'm pretty sure I don't have anything missing or else I wouldn't have been invited to the meet-and-greet they have. When your app is complete then you get to go to this job fair in march. So I emailed someone from personnel in May and they told me interviews have not taken place yet and that I'm on their eligibility list. I don't know what the eligibility list entails.

34. maestra75

maestra75 Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

If I were you, I would go straight to the principal and ask her the reason why she doesn't see you as qualified for the job. Sometimes, I think that chemistry among people has a lot to do with it. This is my first year teaching, and I'm still in the process of certification, and I was hired instantly at the job fair. As bad as it sounds, I admit that a couple of my classmates had more experience than I, but there was an instant rapport between the principal and I, that kept us talking like two old friends. Don't dwell on this dissapointment, but continue to look, and remember to simply be yourself!
    Good luck,
    a.b.

35. Lime

Lime Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

Ctinevo,

I feel your pain! After all the work I couldn't get a job where I student taught or worked as a TA. What's wrong w/me?! I implored to the heavens...

After 3 years on the job search, I started playing hard ball- aggressively pursuing individual schools, mass emails, etc. I decided to open it up to private (did NOT want to do that pay-wise) and finally just got hired.

Honestly, If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have pursued this profession. It's extremely difficult to get a job. And when knowing people at the school/district doesn't pull any weight you feel completely crappy. God what a good feeling it was to have a school finally say 'you're good enough-we want you'!

Good luck and chin up.

36. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

Thank you for everyone that has helped me get through this. Yes, I wil definetely talk to the principal and the superindentent of personnel. But the thing that I don't want them to do is bother them! I don't want to annoy them by asking "Why didn't you hire me? Why did you hire the other 2 people?" I want to approach it in a positive way because there is still that 5th grade position. Any suggestions on positive questions to ask them?!?!?!

37. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 13, 2006

Ask where they are in the hiring process or when they may be interviewing and tell them you are interested in the 5th grade position. An eligibitlity list is the list that HR get their candidates' names from for hiring for teaching positions. They sent the names to principals. In the mean time pursue other options so you will not be disappointed. Good luck! Terry G.

38. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

I think I'm so depressed because I had my heart set on getting hired at this school. (By the way don't ever do that).Which was a bad idea because I got my hopes up! But I will try my hardest to pursue that 5th grade position. I'll do what it takes!! haha.
    I want this so bad. I feel like my life is at a standstill. Getting a job will actually move in the direction towards the future. My boyfriend (of 6 years) and I still live at home. He's going to school full time. I would love to finally move out of my parents' house and be on my own for once. I just want to start my life! I don't want to sub another year. I want to get a real pay check. And I want my own classroom. I especially don't want to go back to that school. It will just make me feel worse because the teachers that I was friends with seriously thought I would get a position. And also just seeing the first-year teachers at that school would be so disappointing!

39. ChristianJock

ChristianJock Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

I know how you feel. The school where I did my student teaching was hiring 4 new teachers in the grade level that I student taught at. I thought for sure that I would get an interview since I have also subbed at that school numerous times. I didn't even get a call. I am extremely depressed at the moment as well. Hang in there. Something will come up.

40. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2006

Okay so I've been thinking...I'm going to talk to personnel tommorrow. But I decided that I wasn't going to do myself any harm. I don't want to said like a whinny person asking for a job. basically I'm just going to ask what the hiring and interview process is in the district. I don't think I'll even mention the 5th grade position. I just don't want to sound like a complainer teacher who "didn't get a job". I'm sure they hear alot of that already.

41. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2006

Well let us know what you find out. I would be interesting to hear.