I don't think I want to be a teacher.....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by amethyst, Nov 12, 2016.

1. amethyst

amethyst Companion

Nov 12, 2016

I'm almost finished with my M.A.T. I'll be certified to teach Preschool-3rd and Students with Disabilities. It has taken me a long time to complete this degree and I've gone back and forth about teaching since I was in my undergrad program (which was initially in teaching, then I switched to Family Services). I LOVE kids and I've always worked with kids, but I just don't feel like being in a public school classroom is where I am meant to be. I know I can do other things with this degree, but I'm not sure exactly what else I would do. I feel like the money wouldn't be as good doing anything else. I've looked up jobs in early intervention and social work type of jobs but it seems like although I'm more qualified having this degree, the pay is still what I'd get if I just had a bachelor's degree. After all the work I've put in, I really want to be happy doing my job, but I also have a ton of loans to pay back, so I need to think about finances. Maybe I will like being in the classroom eventually. There's nothing I hate about it. I just feel like somewhere else would be a better fit for me. I guess I don't think I am going to be a very good teacher. I'm not very good at lesson planning, for example. But, I am very good at connecting with kids. So, I think my role would be better as someone who is there primarily to help kids (not that that teachers don't, of course), rather than to teach lessons. I just kind of needed to get this out, too, because I feel like all of my family and friends are tired of hearing me going back and forth about this for years already. If anyone has any advice, though, I'd really appreciate it.

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2016

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Backroads likes this.
  4. chessimprov

chessimprov Rookie

Nov 13, 2016

You might want to consider shooting for cyber school if you can get a position. That way, you will have curriculum to work with possibly rather than coming up with everything on your own. The pay generally isn't that great, and it's harder to connect with kids socially. It's not impossible, but it is harder. I personally loved cyber teaching, but it's not for everyone.

PallasAthena likes this.
  5. teach_abc

teach_abc Rookie

Nov 15, 2016

I feel like I could've written your post word for word (minus the degree and grade level). This is my 4th year teaching and I wish I had followed my gut instinct during my credential program. I found that I loved supporting students and helping them, but I too feel that lesson planning is not my strong suit. I felt that it'd get easier over time as everyone insisted. Unfortunately, it hasn't. I am at a traditional school on a short term contract until December, and I just got hired at an online school teaching high school English. I am really excited about it because like the person above me mentioned, the curriculum is designed and I can focus more on individualizing education. I would suggest that or either independent study? I may not be much of help but I just wanted to let you know that I completely understand what you are saying.
    I too have constantly used my family and friends as a sounding board and they don't fully understand the feelings/situation. Maybe independent study? Becoming a school counselor requires more education and I am not sure you're interested in that - but it is an option down the road maybe? I envy the counselors at my school and sometimes wish I had their job! Working with students is so rewarding, just have to find the right fit.

Sorry I am not much help but I just wanted to offer up some encouragement to seek out opportunities outside the classroom and not waste time as I did :(

What about teaching education courses at the college level? Starting your own non profit or working for an education non profit? I hope it all works out for you!

6. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Nov 18, 2016

Districts across the nation are putting the squeeze on teachers, because politicians and drive-by experts tell them this will raise test scores. I've never seen fish so easily hooked.

You end up putting in more time trying to prove that you are doing your job than simply doing your job. It gets to the point that every word, every parent contact, every moment has to be documented and submitted. And, on top of all this, there is the endless preparing for and teaching to standardized test after test.

We don't teach any more. We beat ourselves to death creating an elaborate dog and pony show that "proves" we are teaching according to dogma spewed out by this year's research experts.

The absence of common sense and respect for tradition in education stems from the dollars private industry is pumping into the political shift away from public education. Private companies want those tax dollars, and they will destroy every school in the nation to get them.

So, yeah, I'd tell anyone in any teaching program to do ANYTHING else. Do not teach in this country.

teach_abc likes this.