I don't think I want to be a teacher anymore....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peachyness, Jul 14, 2009.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 15, 2009

Ahh, hem (clearing throat)... Just because it took me 25 years to finish college and get my certification doesn't mean I'm OLD! LOL

2. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2009

My parents also. I haven't been living with them while in school (or at least not since I transferred to university from community college), but they have been incredibly emotionally supportive and financially too by sending small treats and always sending me back from visits with Starbucks money and bags of groceries from Whole Foods (including my favorite vegan treats). Now that I do finally have a job, I am going to live with them next year, which will be a huge help in my getting on my feet and saving money. And, buying my Harley :D I am going to pay them rent, but it will still be half of what I would otherwise pay and it will help them out financially too. Yay for supportive parents.

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2009

:lol: I'm sorry. I didn't mean anything bad by that!!!! I just meant, for me, I want to try this out before I am too afraid. :D

4. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 15, 2009

I havent had time to read through the entire thread, but I will tell you that we are very alike! I cant ever make up my mind about where to go to school, what to major in, where to live, anything! I just always think there is something better I can do! Im learning to follow my gut instincts and trust that no matter what I choose, everything will turn out okay. I enjoy reading your posts peachy, and I know that you are a talented teacher. These talents will carry over into anything you choose to do! I hope that even if you don't teach, you stick around on AZ!

Best of luck!

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2009

Okay, I guess I won't get offended, lol! I do understand the "fear factor." Unfortunately, it can occur at any age! I have no doubt, whatsoever, that you will be a huge success, whatever path you choose, peachy!

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2009

:lol: I always said if I could go back and do college over again, I'd do forensic anthropology! Hmm... I'd only *need* 45 credits for a bachelor's...

Peachy, do what's right for you. There is absolutely nothing worse than getting up every day and going in to work if you have no passion for it. I've had a terrible AP who made my life heck and I left teaching for a year because she killed any enthusiasm I had. I took some additional education classes at the CC and it totally renewed my passion. You've found something new that you love - so go for it!

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2009

I might still do this. Boston University has a masters program. I don't entirely fit their prereqs, but I have communicated with them and they said they would accept my degree if I apply. It would expensive though; going back for a volcanology phd would be free.

Or, I could love teaching and decide to stay, though right now I am only planning a 3yr trial.

I am a career switcher anyway--I was doing graphics, although I never intended that to be my career. Definitely follow your heart Peachy. And I hope your husband comes around to be supportive. If you only do what he wants you to do, I am afraid you will end up resenting him and relationship later anyway.