I don't think I want to be a teacher anymore....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peachyness, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2009

I've been thinking a lot lately about my future. I have been taking classes this past year at the local junior college and it's been so much fun. I have been taking many science classes (two geology, astronomy, and a precal math class. Right now I am taking a summer school chemistry class). Academically, I am doing so much better now than I did 6 years ago when I was at the university. I will begin taking classes at the university this fall. Plan is to take classes two days a week, and sub the other three. My husband is NOT happy about this plan and wants me to get a full time job. I have not been able to apply to any full time positions as there are NONE around here.

Anyways, I find myself getting sick over the idea of being a teacher again. Okay, I LOVE teaching. I know that I am a good teacher who works very hard. BUt yet,when I think about having to get a teaching job, I feel sad and frustrated. After taking all of these science classes, my heart is getting into a science field. The more I talk to geologist professors and students who are already at the university, the more excited I am getting about this new career.

There are many reasons why I just don't want to be a teacher anymore, but the big one was this horrid principal I had, not this past school year but the last one. He's ruined my career making it very difficult to get another job. I was very fortunate to have had the connections to get a temp job for this past school year. That's just one reason. Others include having to deal with rude parents, having to teach straight out of the textbook, sticking to a script, etc. I could go on, but I don't want to bash teaching. There are also many many wonderful things about teaching.

I feel bad though. I have put so much time and MONEY into this teaching career. My husband is not happy that I am thinking about leaving this career.

If you read this far, thanks. I guess I just wanted to voice the thoughts that have been brewing inside of me.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2009

:hugs: Peachy!! I would hate for the profession to lose such a great, valued teacher like you. It stinks that one person can bring us down like that (I had a principal that didthe same thing). You have to follow your heart though and do what makes you happiest.

4. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

I'm sorry, that must be very frustrating. I think if you decide not to teach, your family should understand that teaching isn't a job, its a passion. If you lose the passion, maybe its time to try something else for a while, if that is possible. Education is never a waste of money. :)

Maybe the grass is greener, but only you know if the passion to teach is gone.

Good luck.

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

If you attain a new degree (BS geology) what do you want to do with it? Research, work for a city, state, or national environmental group, work for a private company? Have you researched jobs? Before giving up any teaching opportunities that may come your way I would definitely have a goal in mind. Are you able to live comfortably without you working full time? Perhaps explaining to your husband what your future plans are will put him more at ease with your current feelings.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2009

Yes, I do think the passion is gone. This past year, I knew that I was VERY VERY fortunate to have gotten the temp job. But, I also severely dreaded going to work. Every morning, I was in a foul mood. Some mornings, I wanted to cry. I knew I was being ridiculous. I knew that I should have been happy to have at least gotten this temp job. But, I really dreaded going to work. The kids were fine. I have good classroom management, and the kids were engaged and learning! They were reading and writing stories by the end of the year (this was kindergarten. One of my students even won a county wide writing contest! :)). Yet, I hated it! I hated working. I complained all year long to my husband. I don't think he understood how much I couldn't stand work there. It wasn't anything at the school that was causing these feelings. It was just, the passion was completely gone and I'm sure it didn't help that my last P completely destroyed my self esteem and love for teaching.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2009

Yes, I've looked into different geology job opportunities. Hydrology and environmental work are two things that I am very interested in. When I first went into teaching, I had NO clue what I really wanted in teaching. I didn't know if I wanted secondary or elementary, or reading coach, or special ed. So, I just took the classes and when I got into the university, I did the field work and spoke to professors and other students. Even during my last year at the university, I still didn't know exactly what I wanted. I kept going back and forth between elementary, special ed, and science. Eventually, I chose elementary. For some reason, I can never just make up my mind. I am always going back and forth. All I know is that I love science, always have, and want to go into this field. I did some field work in my geology class at the junior college, and while it was hard and tough, I loved it. I loved the research we had to do, I loved putting pieces of the puzzle together. Yes, I know I want this. I was never even this passionate about being a teacher, unfortunately. I love teaching, but I don't think I ever had that high of a passion that many of you guys have.

8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

The job market for geology is as good as it gets--not enough people qualified for the jobs. I don't know anyone who wanted a job in the field and was even half way decent who did not find something they wanted. Our department is one of the most heavily recruited on campus. You will need a masters degree for the field, but that won't cost anything; you will just have to make do on the stipend. You can do the masters in 18 months too because most programs are very eager to help people get out quicker these days. Academic funding is tight and recruiters are eager and hungry.

But, when you are done, your earning potential is probably close to double teaching salary, just right off the bat, especially if you do something like sedimentology or geophysics. Hydrogeology and GIS are other good things to have. If you take hydro classes and get good field experiences, there are loads of jobs in most places for that, although they aren't necessarily the higher paying jobs.

Or, if you decide to go back to teaching, earth science jobs in most places are easy to come by. Heck, I am not even fully certified and I had multiple job offers very quickly! So, either way you go with this, future prospects are excellent.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2009

Maybe you would be more interested teaching higher education?

10. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Jul 14, 2009

Do not feel bad about wanting to change careers - many, many people do!

I went to school specifically to go into Criminal Justice - my dreams were getting into the FBI. I got my BS in Criminal Justice, 18 hours Grad in Criminal Justice, and worked for the 2nd largest correctional system in the nation for 10 years!

And now, I am a teacher and loving it! I really feel like this is where I should be - but it took me all of the above to find out.

I read somewhere that the average person has 5-7 careers over the span of their life. Go with your gut - what you wanted yesterday may not be what makes you happy today!

11. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

Peachyness, I support what others on here have said. If the passion is gone, you will be miserable (as you were this past year). I know there were many times you came on here venting about how you thought that you had lost your passion. I'm sad for you that your husband isn't being more supportive of this for you :( Have you looked into being a science teacher (even just for this year to help with the financial state)? Even if you can't handle the thought of that, I love your plan to do 2 classes and 3 days of subbing. Or what if you were to tutor high school science students? I know I could have used a tutor for biology!!! I hope your husband comes around though and that you find something to make you truely happy.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2009

Thanks molly, I knew you'd be here to offer some good points. :) I definitely plan to get my masters. I figure, why stop at the BS. I thought about geophysics too. See, there are lots of job opportunities out there! It's too hard to decide, yes, this is what I want. My friend is getting her masters in geology, and she gets to work during the summers at Yosemite. I am SOOOO jealous. She's been able to get intern jobs before she even got her bachelors, with no problem. I so wish I had followed her lead and followed my heart way back when I was still at the university. I just felt that it was too late. No, it wasn't. Now I'm kicking myself.

13. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 14, 2009

My mother always told me - "you'll be working for a really long time - you might as well pick something you enjoy". Go for it!

I would recommend keeping your certificate up to date (shouldn't be hard with all the classes you are taking), and adding the science certification when you've completed enough classes. Maybe you were teaching to young and too general - middle school science or high school science almost always has openings, and I've never seen a scripted science curriculum for upper grades. It never hurts to keep your options open :)

14. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 14, 2009

Peach, while this will be my 2nd yr of teaching I can see how a bad experience can ruin your passion -- particularly when you start to have doubts on your abilities. Based on the postings you have made, seems like you are a very strong, intelligent woman. Don't let what one particularly individual said destroy your confidence.

At this point, I think it is wise that you question what you are doing & where you want to go. I so wish I had myself. Don't think about the money & time you've put in. To use me as an example, I have 2 degrees in business & technology mgmt yet I made the decision to go into teaching. I do NOT regret it. I only regret that I waiting a few years before finally making the step. As another poster said, education is never wasted. I have found that even courses that seem irrelevant have to some degree help me be more effective in my career.

I commend you for stepping back & reflecting. I think it's important to stop & think as to where/what road you want to take. You should do what is best for you. There was a quote I heard the other day that stated something to the effect of "In order to be successful, you have to be happy with what you are doing" I so believe that. Think about what is best for you & go for it! :)

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2009

Yes, I thought about that. I'm feeling jaded right now about teaching. But I having actually been collecting ideas about teaching science in middle and high school. I think it will take a while for me to gain self confidence again.

Thanks for sharing your story. That makes me feel better about wanting to change careers.

I didn't think about being a tutor. I'll look into that!!! :) I have thought about teaching science this next school year, but I do not meet all of the requirements. Actually I do, but I would not be NCLB and I don't know how that will affect my chances of getting the job.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2009

Eventually, after I take one more chem and two phsyics, I'll be able to add on to my credential that will allow me to teach up to 9th grade. So, if I am patient, I will get those requirements done.

Thank you very much! I feel much better about how I have been feeling. We only have one life and I might as well make the best out of it. :)

17. Teaching Grace

Jul 14, 2009

I know our Science teacher does all the great labs and things we never have time to do in our rooms. She's one of our specials that the students see once every 6 days in a rotation. I think tutoring might help you supplement income (probably what your husband is most worried about).

18. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

Many people stay in a career because they went to school for it or it's the only thing they know. Those are the people who should feel sad. Changing your mind just means you aren't one that will stay just because there is nothing better to do.

I went to law school before I became a teacher. I had wanted to be a lawyer since I was in 3rd grade - never changed my mind. I got there and was doing great, but I began to hate it. I found it boring and I didn't feel like i could really make a positive impact on a person's life. After graduating I stayed at home with my kids for about 9 months. then I started getting bored and decided to start subbing. That is when I discovered what I was destined to do with my life - teach. Talk about a change in plans..... But I'm glad I went with my gut instincts not to practice law. I tend to be a serious person anyway and I think that profession could have really gotten to me. Teaching does the opposite for me.

Follow your feelings.

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 14, 2009

Peachyness, I am sending a hug. I know it is so hard to keep engaging in something when the passion is gone. How many years had you been teaching? You always have been a tremendous asset at the boards, yet I know if you follow your heart, you may feel healthier and keep a more positive outlook. Perhaps in the field, you can make classroom visits. Having a geologist come to your classroom is a huge opportunity.

20. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

Right now, you may be having a love affair.

What I mean is, the courses you are taking are more enjoyable now that you are a bit more mature, and you are falling back into a spot I often slip into -- the perpetual student who loves learning. This position is far more attractive than one spent in the non-glorious position of being trampled in between admin and parents.

Can you give it just a bit more time before you break it off with old flame teaching?

21. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

Peachy, You always have some of the best insights and ideas. I love reading your posts, but I am sorry you are going through this. From what I have read you are an absolute fabulous teacher! I am so sorry for what you went through, but I am so happy it is leading you down a new path that you are excited about! I wish you the best! I do hope you will keep your certification up and be open to the possibility of returning when and if the time is right.

It is downright awful to be in a job you do not like. It is not worth it. You deserve more then a job you dread going to- that is not a good place to be in.

Good luck! Best wishes!

22. KinderESLtchr

KinderESLtchr Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

You have to do what is right for you, and it's awesome that you found what you love. It's not wrong to not be a teacher. If you ever do decide to teach a university class or get to be a T.A. or something, you will be so much better than the doof I had for my honors geology class in college! ;) He would thrust the mineral samples at us that we had never seen before and expect us to know what they were somehow by geological osmosis--at 8 a.m.!
    I think that with your experience you can definitely get a part-time job to hopefully compromise with your husband. I used to tutor for eSylvan online, and I've scored the ACT online as well. You would be qualified for both of those. Look into some things like that and make your dreams come true!
    Btw I will add that I was also a last minute career changer--all ready to be a journalist and then I went into teaching senior year. I am glad I did not become a journalist because I realize I would have been pretty unhappy in that field now that I know myself a little better (as my best friend advised me at the time when I opened up about wanting to teach K.) Now I am thinking about earning a history degree. We all change and grow and nothing is wrong with that--in fact, I think it is good when teachers who aren't happy in the profession or who want to move on to other things say so. Best wishes to you!

23. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2009

If there is something else that you really want to do than go for it! It sounds like you are really enjoying taking science classes and would rather do something else. Knowing when to change gears is important and since you are at a place in your life to do it now is a great time! I agree with others, though, that keeping your credentials current is a good idea in case you want to teach later on. Good luck with everything!

24. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 14, 2009

Peachy, who was it Freud who said there are no accidents?

And your former P should be ashamed of himself!!!

There have been many times in my career I would have liked to have done something else, but circumstances being what they were it just didn't and couldn't have happened. Before you get too deep in classes for another career find out if there's job opportunites. I know several teachers who have other really interesting degrees but couldn't ever find a job.

I wish you all the happiness in the world.

25. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2009

If I was younger, I would study anthropology and go off to explore! (maybe in my next life) LOL! If you can envision yourself doing it, do it!

26. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Jul 14, 2009

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Before you commit to a new field, I strongly suggest that you speak to a number of experienced working professionals in the field, not professors. Professors are scholars and know most about scholarship which isn't the same as working. ;o

I also suggest that you get an internship or co-op job in your target field. There are pluses and minuses to every field, and you really should get accurate and sober information before you jump into the field head first.

27. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2009

I've taught for four years now. Going into classrooms would be very neat indeed!!!

28. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2009

Yes, that is very true. But how will I know unless I try it. Like, there are many teachers who complain about teaching, and then you have teachers who love it. So, right now, I am getting ideas on this profession from people who HAVE been doing it for years and years (professors) and from my friend who is in the master program and has been interning for years every summer. They all love it. I have yet to meet someone who hates their field. On the other hand, even before I went into teaching, I have met teachers where all they did was gripe and try to dissuade me from becoming a teacher. So, it's hard to say whether I will love it too or not unless I start my field work and internship.

But thank you for trying to give me advice that I may not want to accept!!! :) I need to try this now before I get too old and too scared.

29. Teaching Grace

Jul 14, 2009

If you are on the East Coast, maybe Jem will want to branch out with Sprout. You could ask her :)

30. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 14, 2009

Peachyness, I PMed you about your ideas for a career change. Hang in there and follow your heart.

31. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 14, 2009

Follow your dreams. Sympathize with your husband, but do what is best for yourself. The Water Management District in my county is one of the largest employers. The science fields sure sound lucrative to me.

32. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 14, 2009

Peachy, although I am sad that the education field could be losing such a gifted and passionate teacher as I know you to be, perhaps you would do better outside of the "regular" education circles.

Regarding Environmental Science and related fields: My hubby has a BS in Geology, and was with the state department of environmental quality for 10 years. He didn't get rich, but we had good benefits. For the past 16 years, he has been an Environmental Specialist with our local electric company and, not only does he have great benefits, he makes darn good money! He used to do much more educating than he does now - he has taught adults (environmental regulations, transportation safety, hazardous material handling, etc.), as well as children (visiting my classroom for geology units (yes, he's a rock hound), a HUGE part of both Girl and Boy Scouts).

There are ways you could still educate without being a school teacher. Do you have a local science museum/activity place (ours is called SciPort - its hands-on science)? There are scientists AND teachers at ours. Other alternatives could be working for museums, national parks, etc. There are educators all around us - we just have to sometimes look for them.

Just my :2cents:. Hope you find some peace!

33. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 14, 2009

Zoe - ME TOO!

34. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 14, 2009

:hugs: You've got to do what makes you happy! I took time off teaching after a bad experience and went into management. I had lost the desire for teaching, cried often, and had to force myself to go into work. I realized I missed teaching within the first year. I just needed some time to heal and find a place that would fit into.

Even if you leave teaching for a bit you can still go back. (Just make sure your license is current). Even mid year you can always sub or tutor if you decide to go back to it. :D

35. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 14, 2009

I have totally been in your shoes! After going through four years of college to be a doctor, then starting medical school, I KNEW that being a doctor wasn't for me and that teaching was. I had done tons of tutoring and service work in schools, but continued on the medical path because I felt like I had to. A semester (and $20K) into medical school, I applied to a university to get my master's with credentials in elementary ed, quit medical school, and have ABSOLUTELY no regrets. At all. Whatsoever. It was by far the best thing I've ever done. If you know in your heart that you want to leave teaching, do what will make you happy!

36. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 14, 2009

Aw, Peach. It makes me sad for talent to leave the classroom, but your personal happiness is so much more important. Good luck with your science pursuits! Don't leave atoz though!

37. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2009

Haha.. I can't. I"m addicted!!! :p

38. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2009

Yes, teachers are everywhere. I love the idea of being able to visit classrooms and teaching kids something that they might not normally have a chance to learn. How cool would that be????? :)

39. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2009

Actually, for geosciences, talking to an assortment of professors can be extremely helpful, because most actually keep in close tough with industry. There are a few in my department who are in more of a "bubble" depending on their interests, but almost all do consulting work, host industry recruiters, etc. The department laboratories also bring money in by doing analyses (with the SEM, microprobe, spectroscopy, etc). A couple of the professors get together each year and offer a career class and they bring in people working in different areas, so they have huge numbers of contacts that they are always willing to share with students. Many of the grad students have worked with large corporations in the summers or small mining operations or state/federal govt, and they also have good advice and contacts. One thing about geoscience is that it is still a relatively small field, so contacts are closer and tighter all around. Industry desperately needs people, so they make the effort to be involved at the university level, so you can definitely get a very realistic view of your options by scouting about your department and then following up on the leads and contacts that they give you.

40. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 15, 2009

Peachy, you & I are in similar boats, but I'm sure you've been teaching a lot longer than I have. I only read your 1st post of this thread, so excuse me if I'm asking the same thing that's been said, but did you ever say how many yrs you'd been teaching?

I've been a sub for several yrs, taught special ed for only 1 yr. I have an MA & 2 credentials to teach gen ed or special ed, but I've been back in school since fall '08 where I'm a speech pathology student. I'm back to subbing as well. To be an SLP, one needs a Masters & certain credentials.

I'm so, so greatful that my parents have NEVER made me feel bad or guilty about how I should be having a permanent job teaching rather than almost starting all over again w/ school, despite the fact that I'm no longer in my 20s & still live w/ them. They never said a word about any of it & I love them even more for that.

So if you're pretty sure geology's for you like I feel that speech-language pathology's a better fit for m e, go for it! Age shouldn't matter. Life is way too short to be miserable at a job for the next 20+ yrs.

Good luck & if you ever want to PM me to vent about the frustrations of being back in school, feel free! :)

41. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2009

Ms. I, I have taught now for four years. 3 in kinder and 1 in fifth. I am 26 so I feel that I am young enough to do this, and want to do this before I get too old and too scared to change careers. Yes, life is way too short to be miserable.