I don't think I want to be a teacher anymore- Please help.

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Ritalo, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Ritalo

Ritalo Rookie

Oct 14, 2015

Hi everyone. I've posted other threads on this forum but they all kind of tie into this one. I feel like I've made a terrible mistake. WARNING- long post ahead!

I graduated with my BA in psychology, and everyone knows you can't do squat with a BA in psych, so I had no choice but to go to grad school. I didn't want to become a psychologist, and I always had a love for children and a heart for children with special needs, so I decided to go for my masters in teaching. I'm getting dual certified p-3 gen education and p-3 special education. At first I was so passionate about it. And now for some reason I feel like I just chose the wrong career path. I'm now seeing how much teachers really have to put up with. SGO, assessments, evaluations, lesson plans, taking work home with you and not being able to enjoy your own children. When will I have time to enjoy ME? To spend time with my future husband and children? It's stressing me out.

On top of all that, classroom management and dealing with children who are struggling and then if they fail, the blame is on you. I'm currently working at a learning center and I don't hate it, but when a child is struggling I feel I am to blame, that I'm not helping him/her enough, and I lose sleep over it. I can't have a career that causes me to lose sleep and feel physically sick.

My heart was initially set on special education, until I became an assistant at a private specialized school for children with ASD/BD. I had to put up with all of the outbursts , the biting, hitting, kicking, screaming, etc. And that discouraged me compleeeetely. I keep being told that specialized schools are very different from sped programs in public schools, but I'm still just feeling discouraged.

I really don't know what to do. I start student teaching next semester and I'm kind of dreading it, honestly. I feel like I made a terrible choice, but it's too late to even turn back or switch careers. Is anyone else feeling the way I am? Or in the same position? Thanks.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 14, 2015

It's never too late to change careers (says the person who dropped out of the education track at 20 and went back to complete it at 31). However, why not try the student teaching before you make a decision? There is a lot of the horrible stuff that is put on teachers, and then there is the experience of making a difference in the lives of these children. Worst case scenario, you go in there and find it is really not for you.

Ritalo likes this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2015

I have a suggestion:

Consider special ed in a private school. You won't get paid as much, but you will probably not have any behavior concerns because the private schools won;t accept students with major concerns.
    I'm in a private christian school teaching a self contained SPED class and this is the best group of students I have EVER taught. (40+ years of experience). The other benefit of most private schools is less of all those concerns outside of teaching that bother you. Now I take 0 work home.

I also agree with Cat. Don't make your decision until you have tried student teaching. You may be pleasantly surprised.

otterpop and Ritalo like this.
  5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2015

There are many different types of positions available for special ed teachers. Not all of them are outbursty or chaotic like what you have experienced. In my district we have a lot of "CC" teachers, which are special ed teachers who are assigned as co-teachers in a general ed classroom. Many of my colleagues who do this love it. The workload is comparable to that of a general ed teacher--still lesson planning (but done in conjunction with the general ed teacher) and grading, but for a much smaller roster of students than a general ed teacher, and special ed paperwork. Perhaps this type of position would be a better fit for you.

Upsadaisy and Ritalo like this.
  6. Ritalo

Ritalo Rookie

Oct 14, 2015

What state are you in?? I've never heard of a CC teacher but it sounds interesting and a tad less stressful.

7. Ritalo

Ritalo Rookie

Oct 14, 2015

That's a huge possibility for me. I would assume those jobs are few and far between though :/ and the benefits probably aren't as good. But hey, my mental health and sanity is way more important. Thanks so much for your response.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2015

Nevada. I'm sure that many (most?) other districts use this model, although I'm not sure exactly what the position is called in other places.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 16, 2015

We have positions like this too in my district. We call them "co-teachers". We also have "support facilitators" which do something similar.

To the OP, if you have your BA in Psych, have you considered doing the master's work to be an LSSP? Those are in SUPER high demand in my area. We are also always looking for SPED counselors. There are lots of options...

Upsadaisy likes this.
  10. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Oct 16, 2015

Your story sounds almost exactly like mine -- BA in Psychology and everything! I was getting dual-certified in SPED/Gen Ed, and chose to do Gen Ed for exactly the reasons you described. I'm at a charter school now, and it is a HUGE improvement over the public schools in my area, although the pay is lower.

As catnfiddle said, it is never too late to change careers, and your education always reflects positively upon you. If you do quit teaching, I would suggest entering the non-profit sector, which qualifies you (I think this is a national thing?) for student loan forgiveness. That's my plan for next year. I relate to the nervousness about changing careers after getting a master's... but you have to trust your best judgment and do what's right for you.

11. Ritalo

Ritalo Rookie

Oct 17, 2015

Thanks for answering. These all sound great, but I'd just HATE to drop out of my current masters program where I'm at right now. I have two more semesters. Plus, my boyfriend and I are planning on getting married within the next five years. I'm 24 and I feel like I should just have a steady job and be done with school already. I'd feel like such a failure.

What exactly is a support facilitator, btw?

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 17, 2015

In our district, a support faciliator is a certified teacher, but unlike a "co-teacher", they can't initiate the instruction. They wait until inital instruction has been given, and then they do pull outs or small group (or individual) work with a student on the concept that's been addressed already. Co-teachers actually plan the lessons along side the teacher and both can and do teach the class directly.

13. esthermarie

esthermarie Guest

Jan 27, 2016

I feel like we are somewhat in the same boat! I am currently student teaching and I don't know if I want to be a teacher. I am 27 years old and feel like a total loser. I have worked in daycare-like settings so I figured might as well go for my Master's in Early Childhood Education. Now I'm wondering if that was a huge mistake. Have you made any headway on your decision or thought process? I feel so trapped as well. Ugh.

14. Anstice

Anstice Rookie

Feb 29, 2016

Esthermarie (and others):

No one attempting to make a positive difference or furthering their education is a loser! There are times in life when the future is unsure. Life is not linear and, often, messy.

We all make mistakes. But, those mistakes neither define you nor are necessarily anything but a detour. You are still on your way. We learn a lot about life - and particularly about ourselves - when we traverse difficult terrain. That is part of the process. Have faith that you are on course, however jagged the path, to the place you were intended to be all along - even if you can't see that far ahead at the moment.

Our experiences - good and bad - hold lessons we may need to draw upon down the road. Just stay in forward motion. Or, at least, rest for a moment. There are roles (aka jobs/careers) out there that you may have never considered or, maybe, never knew existed before they present themselves.

Let me know how you are doing.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 29, 2016

Ritalo, you & I are in the SAME boat! I'll try to keep this short. I always wanted a career w/ kids, but a teacher, not really. I got a BA in Behavioral Science, then became a substitute teacher the moment I graduated. During my subbing, I seemed to like a special ed class called RSP in which you work w/ kids in small groups from 30-60 min in just Lang arts &/or math & you had ad aide, so that seemed great to me at the time. I went on to earn a dual credential like you in mild/mod disabilities & multiple subjects because my district partnered w/ a local university offering this dual credential program, so I went for it. I also ended up earning ma MA in Special Ed. Got hired as an RSP teacher that summer I graduated. I was OK.

I had kind of been interested in speech, as in communication disorders & you definitely need a Masters for that...so, back to school I went! I had to take a year's worth of undergrad courses, then finally got accepted to a grad program, which was 3 long yrs. This was a MUCH more difficult program than my first grad program! I didn't pass the HUGE, 6-hr, final exam at the end, so had to wait about 7 mos, then passed it (that was my last chance to anyway). I had already worked as a speech-lang pathologist for 3 yrs in the past, which they allow before you graduate. I've finally recently graduated now w/ my 2nd Masters, so I'll probably be getting another SLP job coming up soon for this year-round district.

Speech-Language Pathology is an excellent field to get into IF you don't mind going back to school again. You work with small groups in generally a pull-out program for no more than 30 min and you only work with the same kids 2 times a week, so the other 2 days of the week, you're usually at a 2nd school or if there's enough speech kids, you stay at one school.
    Otherwise, I honestly don't know what else you can get into without going back to school for it, but I wish you the best!

This April will be 2 yrs that I will have been doing other non-teaching AND non-SLP employment, but it's not stable enough nor offers, benefits, 401K, etc., so I knew I'd eventually have to get back into SLP work again.

16. kajalsengupta

kajalsengupta Rookie

Apr 13, 2016

Have you given a thought about online teaching? Your classroom management problems will be over. Why not try some online schools or begin by going on your own. Explore the site WizIQ. I teach Physics online.

17. FaithDriven

FaithDriven Rookie

May 3, 2016

Our stories are so similar! I too have a BA in psych, and went on to get a Masters. I am certified in general ed and special ed. I am a special education, in-class support teacher, in Texas. In-class support is similar to what was mentioned earlier although I still have a caseload similar to the general ed teacher. I work with my students in their general ed classroom to support their learning. On a typical day, I am in 6 different classrooms. I work from the general ed teachers lesson plans, adding in accommodations.

18. FaithDriven

FaithDriven Rookie

May 3, 2016

I have heard LSSP's are in high demand. I wish I would have gone that route. I've never heard of a SPED counselor. Does this happen to be in the Houston area?

19. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 3, 2016

Being a CC teacher is a pretty good job, I've heard. Caesar, do you know what CC stands for? Co-collaborator?

There are a lot of reasons not to go into teaching. Everything you said is true. But, there are also a lot of things that make it a great career. I am someone who sometimes can't sleep because of student concerns or thinking about teaching (I'm getting better about it). While it's a pain, I also think that it's a sign that I care about my kids and being a good teacher, which is a good thing.

I agree with the others - give student teaching a try. Furthermore, give a few grade levels a try. In my current state, there are "resource" special ed classrooms. This basically means the classroom serves kids with mild to moderate learning disabilities. It seems like a good position. You get to work with kids in small groups, and you don't have to handle the screamers and biters (working in an Autism classroom should pay, like, double. They work so hard, and I'm so thankful there are people willing to take on that classroom. Definitely not the right fit for everyone.)

20. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 14, 2016

Yes! In our district, the SPED counselors are called "case managers".

21. Carla penne

Carla penne Guest

Jun 14, 2016

I was wondered how it turned out for you. I myself have felt the same way and was suppose to student teach next semester but it now might not be until the following semester.

22. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 8, 2016

We're similar! I am 24 and I'm a first year teacher and just got married too. I think over time, you stop taking things personally and stop taking things home with you. Remember that this is just a job that you get paid to do. Do your best, ask questions, get support, but other than that, dont blame yourself or let it keep you up at night.

23. JAS7310

JAS7310 New Member

Mar 2, 2017

Hello! I know this post is from a while back, but I am struggling with the EXACT same thing! I am more than halfway through my masters program in early childhood education. I love children and want to work with them in some capacity, but I don't think I want to be a teacher, nor do I want to take any of the exams. I would love some ideas for alternatives to being a teacher. Any suggestions or advice would be wonderful to hear! Thank you for reading!

24. JAS7310

JAS7310 New Member

Mar 2, 2017

Hi! I am also in the same boat! I am almost 31 and have only 2 more semesters until I get my masters in early childhood education. I am planning on moving with my boyfriend to Amsterdam in the near future, but I'm not sure what I want to be when I "grow up," if I can even say that at this point!