I don't know why this bugs me so much...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Dec 30, 2014.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 30, 2014

I see so many pictures on facebook of little girls as young as 3 having salon days, and getting manicures and pedicures. I think that's kind of weird for some reason...I feel like kids should be kids, and going to the park or swimming at the YMCA would be much more memorable and enjoyable. Kids are just growing up so fast these days.

Maybe it's because I don't get manicures and pedicures myself, so I don't really get it. :lol:

Does anyone do these things with their own children? Do they really seem to enjoy it?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2014

I have never done those kinds of things with my daughter. I preferred to let her be a child.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 30, 2014

I would imagine if it's something that their mom did a lot and they saw done, they'd probably want to do it more?

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 30, 2014

It's weird to me, too...for the same reason it's weird for you! A spa day would be my idea of a nightmare. lol.

6. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Dec 30, 2014

I never did understand why a little nail polish has an age restriction.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 30, 2014

I don't think it's the nail polish that people object to as much as the visit to the salon-spending so much money on a luxury for a toddler. I also think it sends the wrong message to little girls about beauty-it's not something they should be concerned with at 3 years old.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 30, 2014

Do you really think they're concerned with beauty though? I wanted to wear make up when I was little, but it was because I wanted to be like my mom. It's the same reason I used to wear her heels around the house at 3 years old.

FWIW, I played with make up and dress up a lot as an elementary age kid (8 maybe?). Nowadays, I wear make up like 10 days a year and only put on a fancy dress for weddings.

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 30, 2014

I guess it's not the nail polish that I think is weird...It's the whole salon/spa experience. I guess I would just rather spend that money on an experience that is more developmentally appropriate. It's almost like the moms do it because it's something they enjoy.

To each their own, though-I don't really care what other people do!

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 30, 2014

Unless, the little girls are in some kind of beauty pageant, which is another whole story about them growing up too fast, I don't see why they need manicures/pedicures.

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 30, 2014

I love pedicures! My daughter got her first one at age 5, as a special treat right before kindergarten started. She had another one right before Thanksgiving. The salon we go to has special Princess chairs for the girls. They also avoid all the nitty gritty parts of a pedicure--they cut toenails, paint, and rub feet for a minute. All of those things we can do at home, and we do frequently. They charge $15, and for a special reward, I don't mind letting her do that instead of getting yet another toy.

12. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Dec 30, 2014

To me it's not really an "adult thing". Manipedis are a beauty thing but in addition to that they are relaxing and hygienic. Plus little girls LOVE getting their nails and toes painted.

My mom used to take me to the salon for "bonding time". Could she have taken me to a museum or a park to spend quality time with me? Probably. But honestly some of my best memories that I have with my mom are the both of us at the hair and nail salon, gossiping with her friends and hair stylist. When I really want to talk with her I'll ask her to go get a pedi, because it's relaxing and it's an atmosphere where I feel the most comfortable sharing things with her.

Maybe this is just me, but I approve of mother-daughter type days, whether it be at the salon, the mall or some type of pampering activity. It's a way for a daughter to spend time with her mother and vice versa... time spent together doesn't always have to be educational. Sometimes you can go have fun and treat yourself for no reason at all. :)

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2014

When my daughter was 3 my husband freaked out once when I painted her finger nails...Never again did I do that (it was at home, not at the salon). She is now 13 and he has finally been okay with nail polish for the last couple of years. In any case, I do find it odd taking kids that young to the salon. Those little ones are so cute as they are, I personally don´t think they need any polishing up...but, that´s just my opinion.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 31, 2014

I don't see why people would freak out over nail polish at any age. It's not a tattoo for goodness sakes! I think it's pretty silly though to bring a small child to a salon. It doesn't surprise me though because people do dumb things regarding children all the time. Common sense isn't so common, is it?

15. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2014

What if those kids absolutely love going the salon?

It's something I might have liked as a kid, even though I hate the idea of it now (have had maybe three manicures in my life). One kid might like going and swimming at the Y, while another might like nail polish. Some might like both. I don't see anything wrong with it.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2014

I'm a mom of boys and aunt of girls. I see nothing wrong or developmentally inappropriate about little girls having a salon day:2cents:

17. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2014

I am not a fan of judging how other people spend their money - especially if they have the money to do so. I am also not a fan of judging how other people raise their children - as long as there are no signs of abuse - and how they choose to bond/spend time with their child.

18. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2014

Many salons cater to children or Mommy-Daughter events and parties.

But, I guess this is too dumb of a thing for you to understand since you deem these parents - and salons - dumb ...

19. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2014

Exactly.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2014

:thumb:

21. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 31, 2014

If my daughter decides she wants to do it with her mother, then that's fine, but I certainly don't plan on encouraging the idea that she should be judged on her looks.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2014

The little girls I know find nail polish FUN...a different color on each nail, happy faces and flower designs. For some it's a matter of creativity and personal expression not looking to fit someone else's idea of beauty.

23. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 31, 2014

My niece is 12 and for the past few years we'll occasionally go in and have our nails painted, just for fun, but that's it. What does surprise me is the number of young kids wearing make up in public and at school. In the past few years it's become really common for me to have 4th grade girls with lots of makeup on. I think it's just sad to see kids acting so much older than they are.

24. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Dec 31, 2014

My daughter is 25, just married Dec,19th, and we had a wonderful discussion while getting our mani pedis for the wedding day. We've been having spa day since she was 5. It's a great time to bond, and I'm glad we have many traditions. She will be making new memories with her hubby, but I'm sure we will keep spa day, and invite her new mother in law. I see nothing wrong with special treats like spa days.

25. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 31, 2014

There's certainly a difference between doing something for fun/creativity and doing something for the sake of beauty, and while I wouldn't actively discourage either, I'd be much happier about the first (and I'd also be more likely to encourage her to either do it herself or have her mother help her)

26. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 31, 2014

I think that's a big part of why I don't really get it, too: I never get my nails done. ;) I had my nails done for a friend's wedding once, and they were all chipped right after the rehearsal dinner. For my wedding I got that schlack stuff, and it was such a nightmare to remove! So I told myself I'm never wasting my money on getting my nails done ever again.

I suppose if you grow up doing it, though, it's probably a fun treat, and a special bonding time. That makes sense. :)

27. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 31, 2014

The only time it ever really bothered me was when a group of girls who ranged in age between fourth and sixth grade were dropped off and were very ugly to their nail techs. They were snotty, entitled, and utterly obnoxious. I wasn't there the whole time they were so I don't know if an adult came in and monitored their behavior or even better, made them apologize.

I don't go often so I don't know how common that is.

28. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2015

I respect that something that doesn't appeal to me may be the most fun ever for someone else. Variety is the spice of life, and it comes down to what the parent and child enjoy. I grew up engrossed in horses, which no one else understood or participated in with me. I value whatever creates a bond between parent and child. Having the money to indulge? Hey, that is priceless!

29. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jan 1, 2015

To each their own. There are dozens of ways parents spend money on their kids that I think is absolutely ludicrous and I'm sure parents who spend money on child pedicures look at something another parent is doing and think that's a waste of money. It's all about perspective and preference.

30. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jan 1, 2015

I agree. Also, horses are awesome, I shared that with my grandfather. It's all about building lasting bonds. I shared sewing with my grandmother. Interesting topic.

31. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 1, 2015

I got (and still get) to share my love of riding with my mom and aunt and now my cousin. Talk about a lot of money that could be spent in other ways :lol:

32. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2015

Well, the old saying is that the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a person, and I think that not only includes riding, but the bonding with these animals, putting your hands on them, caring for them. However, that said, hubby is a horse vet, and I absolutely know that horses are expensive pets or luxuries. I was blessed that my parents chose to grant me horses growing up, and I've never really been without one since the age of 11. I don't ride any more, but horses and dogs complete our lives, and I can't imagine living without them. I will almost certainly never have a manicure OR a pedicure unless it is something I share with my sister, but if I did that with her, the time would mean the world to me, so I simply accept that we are all different, and there is no way to measure what is in the human heart. A Happy New Year to one and all. May your hearts be full of joy. :hugs:

33. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jan 1, 2015

I don't see anything wrong with it. I've had to get my nails done/hair done with my poor kids sitting in the lounge area. I have 3 sons so they don't participate, but they do get rather bored sitting there. It would be more enjoyable if they were girls and could at least get their nails painted.

34. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 1, 2015

I totally agree. Our two boys are in retirement now, but they are so awesome :) My first guy is 25 and I got him for Christmas when I was 12. He became my mom's riding partner when he couldn't jump anymore. My second guy I got in 8th grade and he's 18 now. He's a total goober. Love him.