I don't know where to start

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by brandi0718, Jul 10, 2008.

1. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 10, 2008

I am about to start my 2nd year teaching 1st grade and I am so overwhelmed! I am completely broke and I don't know where to start to plan for my classroom. I am so broke that I can't even buy poster board! Isn't that crazy?? Anyways, how is everyone else coming along with their projects for their classroom?? I won't be able to get into my room until the beginning of August. That is really scary to me because we can begin working in our room the week before school starts. :eek:

3. Sheree

Sheree Companion

Jul 10, 2008

Don't worry, brandi0718! Just make sure your classroom is clean, neat and organized. You have 10 months to decorate. The first day of school, have a couple of student projects that you can hang up around the class. No worries, you'll be fine!:)

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

We are having the carpet ripped up in our school this summer so we won't be in our classrooms until the end of the week before school. I know how that goes. I suggest drawing a diagram of how you are going to set up your room, consider things that worked last year that you want to use again and rethinking things that you want to do differently. You could also do some professional reading?

5. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 10, 2008

I have drawn a pic of how I want my room to be..I hope that the pic will work- our school is being completely redone this summer and I am switching rooms so I don't know if my pic will be accurate, but I am sure hoping so!

6. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 10, 2008

You've already got an advantage - this is your 2nd year in the same grade! It'll be much easier this time through.

Drawing a picture was a good idea. Now plan out how you want to organize your supplies. Get ready now, so when you do get to go in, you won't be walking in mindless circles around your room thinking "Now, where should I put this basket of glue sticks?" (That's what I did. Wasted a lot of time!)

7. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jul 13, 2008

I'm the queen of lists or so my husband calls me, but my suggestion would be to make a list and then you could possibly number the items in the order you want to complete them in. That way you won't feel daunted by the task. Hope this helps. I just love the satisfaction of crossing things off the list when I have completed them.