I don't know what to do!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by minnie, Aug 21, 2008.

1. minnie

minnie Habitué

Aug 21, 2008

I've been up since 4:00 :|...my mind races so I can't sleep. I know that we have only had school for three days, but the class that I have right now is so challenging. It seems like they are not interested in what activities I have for them to do. They say they are boring. They constantly talk even when I reward those who don't and I remind them to give me the "secret signal" (raising hand) when they want to say something, but it hasn't worked. We go over the rules every morning and I explain the expectations I have for them. I have one little boy who literally will not stop talking the whole time on the rug and doesn't look at me when I'm talking. When I am trying to say something, he will talk over me and I have sent him to the table a few times. I have another little boy who just stares off into space when he is at his table and I tell them to get their pencils or crayons out. I always have to tell him at least 2 times. My class fights with eachother constantly and tattles. If I put them in a small group (2-3), they immediatly argue.
    I could go on and on...

I need help! Anyone!:unsure:

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 21, 2008

I'm glad you're going over the rules every morning. I'd step that up and do it SEVERAL (8-10) times a day. Have kids model the correct way to do the rules (maybe even take digital pics and make a class book so you can review AGAIN). You might even want some your challenging kids to come up and model the incorrect way and then *immediately* the correct way to help them see how you can change your behavior even if you aren't doing the right thing the first time.

There are so many "school behaviors" that kinders just haven't learned yet. Keep your chin up-- they WILL learn them!

What about playing Simon Says as they are coming to the carpet? If your talker starts to talk, send him back to his desk/table, "Oops, Johnny. Simon didn't say to talk. Why don't you sit at your table and you'll get a chance to try again in a few minutes."

If you need to practice walking in the hall before you actually go somewhere, do it! If they aren't following directions, don't let them practice it incorrectly, take them back to the room and let them practice it again,. I'd say (cheerfully), "Wow, boys and girls, I thought that you'd like to make it to PE on time, but your behavior tells me you'd like to practice walking again, so let's head back to class to try it!" If they're late to something because of practicing, you can say to the specials teacher, "Mrs. Jones, the kindergarteners decided they'd rather practice walking correctly in the hallway than come to art on time. "

You can also have some "checkpoints" in the hallway where the class stops and makes sure they are following directions. If walking in the hallway is extremely challenging, you can go back to a checkpoint instead of all the way back to class. Plus, checkpoints allow me to walk in BACK of my class so I can really keep an eye on all the behaviors.

:hugs: I can hear your frustration. Good for you for looking for ways to be proactive NOW. :hugs:

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2008

I agree with trying to make your rules something they WANT to do. Keep being firm. Eventually you'll find that it really is just a matter of manipulating them to do what you want them to do...in a good way! LOL And never let them know your strategy! Make carpet time a SPECIAL treat for those who have shown they earned it! I also do the checkpoints in the hallway. And I have fifth graders. A hallway is like a runway to a group of students. They will NEVER have permission to make use of ALL that space in the hall. NEVER!! I walk at the back too. The line leaders know to listen for my cues. If the line leaders don't/can't hear me..they lose their privilege. This really gets them to keep their lines quiet!!
    I already know most of my students on my roster for the year so I plan to begin day one with time (15 min)for socializing since many of them have not seen each other all summer. This will limit their need to talk or pass notes during instruction. It doesn't work for all groups of kids but I know these guys will appreciate it and then return the favor by listening and participating in the lesson.

5. Mrs.ABC123

Mrs.ABC123 Rookie

Aug 21, 2008

I agree with all the above suggestions and I think the most important thing is to stay consistent and to review all the rules again and again until they get it. Having the kids practice over and over as long as it takes until they get it right!

I feel for you though. :( You could have my same class from 2 years ago! It is absolutely exhausting and you are probably doing everything right-sometimes it is just the dynamics. Hang in there. I totally understand. :hugs:

6. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 21, 2008

Sounds like my guys from last year! The whole year was rough....it turned out that most of the time, the only thing that would work with my "talker" who talked overtop of me and yelled answers before I could get the question out and was just downright rude - was to send him to another class for a while. All of the Kindergarten classes taught the same lessons on the same days so he wasn't missing anything. Other than that....My behavior system worked really well for a number of my students (kind of like a stop light only it was with monkeys on vines...they wanted to stay as high in the tree as they could, but had to move down a vine if they were spoken to and each level had a consequence)...Several students would cry if they had to move their monkey so it worked very well for them. I also let the earn stars in the begining of the year. They got a star for the day if they didn't move their monkey and when they got 5 stars they could get a treat or a prize from the treasure box. Eventually I stoped with the stars and would randomly give prizes or treats on any given day to the kids who didn't have their monkey moved. They never knew when I was going to give treats or prizes.....Several times I gave them on a day just because one of the kids who usually has a hard time behaving would have a good day...That way they got a reward as well.

Hang in there! I hope it gets better for you!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2008

It takes a while and you may want to pull your hair out in the meanwhile!.... but they will get it! And it'll be an awesome year. Believe me. I have started off the year just like this! THey were not interested, kept talking, or spacing out, or asking to go to the bathroom... I wanted to cry! I had planned and prepped all summer and you little kids are telling me this is boring? :rolleyes:

Go over the rules and I love the idea of playing simon says. I called up kids and had them model and praised them. I also didn't hesitate to tell them that we were going to use up their recess time to practice how to walk in a quiet line. Boy, my kids straightened up and I had the best line walkers! :lol:

Seriously, the first week and first month is tough. Poor babies just don't know why they are even here, in this strange classroom. If you are trying to teach, and you start to stress out because of their behavior, maybe put on a fun cd like dr. jean, or do what I liked to do: Have them wiggle out the bugs!!!! I would do this along with them. I would say, "I need everyone to pay attention so you get big smart brains, so I want you to try this with me..." and then I start to wiggle my body. Get silly okay! And then say, "big and tall" and sit up straight with hands in lap. Then say wiggle again and start to wiggle. Then say big and tall. Repeat one more time if you have too. This seems to get the edge out and they usually are much more attentive.

8. minnie

minnie Habitué

Aug 22, 2008

Thank you all SO much! I'm a wreck right now. Been up since 2 with my mind racing. I just need to get tough (for myself I mean). Thank you all for the advice. They REALLY do make me feel better and I don't know what I'd do without this site!:love: You all are great!

9. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2008

Be careful not to get in the habit of waking up at 2am often on work days. It's really going to be counter productive if you are ready to wind down when the kiddos are all wound up!! I hope you have great day today!

10. minnie

minnie Habitué

Aug 23, 2008

Believe me, I do not mean to get up at 2. It's just that when I wake up in the middle of the night, my mind is racing so much that I cannot go to sleep. I'm gonnna catch up on my sleep this weekend.

11. sculteacher

sculteacher Rookie

Aug 23, 2008

I do a couple of re-directing activities that the kids love. One of them is (to the tune of slippery fish):

Open shut them, (hands up, open and shut)
    Open shut them,
    Give a little clap, clap clap (clap hands)
    Open shut them,
    Open shut them,
    Put them in your lap, lap, lap (place in lap)

I find that when I start singing the directions, they pay attention better.

Another song is: (to the tune of are you sleeping)

Make a circle
    Make a circle
    Make it round
    Make it round
    Put your hands together
    Put your hands together
    and sit down
    and sit down

Hope that helps. Just make up a song to any tune and they most likely will follow....

12. Kinder Preppie

Kinder Preppie Rookie

Aug 25, 2008

Are you sure your class is not my class? lol !!!

13. minnie

minnie Habitué

Aug 25, 2008

It's comforting to know that I'm not alone.:wub:

14. Kinder Preppie

Kinder Preppie Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

You are not alone... I am shocked to be honest...

15. cleigh

cleigh Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

sounds like your rude talker is behaving that way for your attention. for my talkers during circle time, i say thank you for talking over me, you are now my new best friend, please sit here...and i point to a sit directly near me so when he calls out i can touch his shoulder. if he keeps talking try saying i think you have something to say, but so does every one else, i know they have something to say because their hands are raised and they wait to hear their name to talk. if i call on stephanine, and the talker answers instead i look at stephanie and say my stephanie you certainly have changed your voice you might receive a few giggles, but my talker has gotten the hint.

it seems like your talker hasn't learned the concept of waiting his turn or raising there hand.

when he is quiet acknowledge it.
    when he raises his hand, although he speaks at the same time say well i like how you raised your hand to show you would like to speak, that makes me super happy. but next time, wait for me to call your name before you speak"

honestly he sounds like he has never been in a school setting before, so you may have to start at square one with him.

16. minnie

minnie Habitué

Aug 26, 2008

Thank you cleigh! This particular student still has a long way to go, but has gotten better. To tell you the truth, it seems as if a huge majority of my class has never been told to wait their turn to speak and almost all of them went to preschool.

17. minnie

minnie Habitué

Aug 26, 2008

It's just that my year as a student teacher, I was blessed with a great class. Then last year (my first official year) I had an even better class. So, this is my second year and I am faced with these challenges. There are a few students who have problems doing what I tell them the first time. It's like they tune me out or something. I have had them move their names, gave stickers to those who listen the first time, but so far it's still a problem. :unsure:

18. cleigh

cleigh Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

maybe you are asking them to do too many things at once. remember five year olds need to be taught to listen to directions. for example, if you want your children to collectively line up at the sink and wash their hands, literally say "we are going to wash the germs off our hands before we eat." if the children tend to fool around at the sink now is the time for the children to tell you proper hand washing routines. then say i really like how all my friends have sat quietly and criss cross, pause, then say please stand up. then pause for a few seconds. then say thank you for standing like adults, next I would like you to show me walking or super slow feet ( i say slug feet cos i have a few runners!) to the sink to make one line. then start calling one student to model use positive reinforcement.....and keep going...call on students who are exhibiting correct behaviors and change it up each time so each student feels special.

if only one or two are misbehaving have them sit down and wait til all there friends are finished. mike sure to get down on their level physically and calmy say " i know you know how to wait your turn in line, now you will wait until every one else is finished so they can help you remember how to stand in line. please calm your body down and do some thinking work about how to stand in line to wash your hands. when the rest of washed up turn to the students whom you have sat down and say i think you are ready to show me your thinking work. you may stand up and slowly walk over the sink to show how awesome you can wash your hands....give them a high five or thumbs up and a smile when done.

if they weren't taught or reinforced the skills in preschool you may have to go backwards and start from the beginning. try researching developmental kindergarten and techniques that work. remember developmental kindergarten is for children who are too old for pre kindergarten but too young for regular kindergarten....take each day one step at time.

each week concentrate on something new for them to be a star at and create a reward system... for example, for a while concentrate on how you expect them to sit

create a bullentin board celebrating there accomplishments like when they have learned to raise their hand create small hand cut outs they can color and put their name on to post on the board

or use a treasure box...when i was teaching shoe tieing i had practice shoe tieing boards ( donated from aprevious teacher) then when tested each child who tried received a shoe to write their name on and choose where to put in on the bulentin board....then if they were successful tieing a real sneaker multiple times, they picked a treasure.

19. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

duct tape anyone?? LOL...obviously kidding...just be persistent, sometimes new routines take awhile to take hold especially if they are younger (not sure what age) I know tomorrow I ha 27 kindergarteners starting and I know what to expect, which is a whole lot of rules and structure!

20. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Sep 3, 2008

minnie, I'm right there with you!!! My kids totally have their own agenda this year!!! They could care less what I say or do...they just want to do it their way. It's really frustrating!

WE CAN GET THROUGH IT!!!!!!! :hugs:

21. minnie

minnie Habitué

Sep 3, 2008

Thank you!!!:wub: Like I said, it's so comforting that I'm not alone! You really made my feel better. :love: