I don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by youmanj, Jul 12, 2010.

1. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

A part of me feels like I'm getting the run around. I just found out that I will physically have to fly down to Texas to take their required tests. Which in itself, is going to cost money. I don't know if this is worth it. I just graduated, I don't have a lot of money as it is.

My thinking right now is, maybe they are having me do this because they know no one in their right mind would spend all this money just to get certified and want to work in this state. I dunno....it's just getting very frustrated. That and I know the school year is once again about to start so my worries are setting in.

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 12, 2010

Do you have a job in Texas? Or have you gotten in interviews yet? Do you have to move to Texas? If not, why Texas?

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

oh youmanj, I'm sorry its so hard on you. Many other have been in the same spot - in and out of Texas. I would assume you do have to fly to take the TeXes test. I didn't realize you could take other states' tests in other places except the state that uses it.

Last time I took a TeXes test they were $120 I believe. It's a bummer. When I first got certified they were $80 and I thought that was alot.

Then after you pass the test you have to pay another $80 to have it put on your certificate. Money, money, money.

As far as working in Texas, I don't know - we make more than alot of place and less than others. Unless you want to work in spec. ed or bilingual - very hard to get a teaching job without a certificate.

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2010

Why can't you just take the tests for your state and take the Texas tests during the first year you teach in Texas? That's what I did. I brought my state's certificate to Texas and taught on it for my first year. They let you do that then you just take their test.

6. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

Yeah, I just payed 120 bucks for the test and almost 100 bucks for the rental car that I'm going to have to get to drive down there.

I actually spoke to the person today that does the hiring. She basically said to notify her once I get my results back and we'll go from there....whatever that means. I hope it means, since we had you spend all of this money, we want you to come and work for us.

I do have my teaching certificate from Michigan, and after paying almost 300 bucks, I received my 1 year Texas teaching certificate

I was notified that this particular district is Title 1 and that I have to be Highly Qualified to teach there. I really want this job and I hope by me doing all of this work and spending all of this money, it will show them that I want to work for them.

My worst fear is thinking that they are trying to scare me by having me spend all of this money, I hope not, but I'm starting to believe that it may be the case.

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

good luck and keep us updated on your journey!

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 12, 2010

I can only speak from my own experience, of course. I took the required tests, had several interviews and was offered 3 positions. I actually only had four interviews and declined any future interviews because I already had a job. I know that the hiring this year has been more upbeat in Texas as compared to last year. Just look at the found job postings on A to Z. Texas is definitely representing. Do I know of other teachers in state that are looking for a job? Absolutely. But the ones I know did not pass the insight test and that is one of the main reasons they have not found a teaching position. I know it is a tough decision and there are no guarantees. I was terrified when I started searching last year. If I were you, I would go ahead and apply everywhere and get my final regular certification once I have a pretty good idea that I am going to be hired. Let districts know that you have your one year provisional and have every intention of taking the required tests before the beginning of the school year. Good luck!:)

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 12, 2010

I think this will show them that you are serious. And as for your worst fear, do you really think that a district has enough time to tell you to go to all this trouble in the hopes of scaring you out of applying? Does that really make sense? The districts I applied in were very upfront. One district even told me that they would not even interview me at the school level until I had my full certificate. But, they were up front and I knew what I had to do. Think about it. There really are nice people in Texas and if this district is taking the time to give you the intimate details of what you need to do, I would think that they are just trying to be helpful. There are many here that would love for the opportunity to just talk to someone at the district level. All the best! :)

10. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

well as of right now...I've made plans to take the test in Oklahoma on the 18th, but I'm not looknig forward to the 16 hour drive I have ahead of me

I looked at the pretests that are out there, and I actually just completed one and the test is on par with the one I took in Michigan, so I'm not really worried about it. The only thing is, that in Michigan, your not given a score, it's either pass/fail....so I'm hoping I do well on the Texas one.

11. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

yeah I understand...I'm hoping thats the case, but again thanks for the upbeat attitude

and most people ask me why I want to move to Texas, I tell them, "after you've lived in Michigan for 15 years, you would probably feel the same way". I'm originally from Louisiana, and I really want to move back down south. I'm tired of these winters and all the snow.

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 12, 2010

You know Texas does accept several of the Praxis tests. (Not sure exactly which ones...) They are probably a lot closer than Oklahoma. You might want to look into that on the Texas Department of Education Website and then double check with a phone call to the Department of Education. Think about it...

13. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 12, 2010

Do you have interviews in Oklahoma? I am just wondering, because a lot of schools in Oklahoma just RIFed teachers.

14. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

I checked, most of the dates are have past...even the late reg has passed also.....the one that I'm taking is on a computer and the results are actually delivered back in a week. Like I said, I'm trying to do all I can to get this job.

15. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

no...just taking Texas's state test. I figured driving to OK, is a lot shorter than driving to Texas.

16. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 12, 2010

Well, I would study up a little on my Texas State History then. I am EC so I had to take the Pedagogy and the Additional EC-6 to be completely certified in the state of Texas. I would also check out the A to Z forum on the Texas State Test. It is very different from the National Teacher's Exam that I took. The Pedagogy test was similar to the Praxis Pedagogy Exam.

17. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

I heard about the Texas history part, very weird that they would expect me to know a ton about Texas's past.

18. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

Hmmm, I don't remember any questions about Texas history on the Pedagogy test (but that was 6/7 years ago)...... But then again we do LOVE our state.

And, by the way, there are lots of great reason to live in Texas - that is why people continue to flock in.

19. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 12, 2010

Honey, we have our own pledge to the Texas flag that we say after the regular pledge of allegiance. Things can be a little different in Texas. But all in all - I like it! :)

20. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 12, 2010

No, they were on the EC-6. Sorry if that was confusing! LOL. :)

21. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2010

Which test(s) are you taking? Many of the tests can be taken outside of Texas -- for example, you can take the EC-6 generalist at a location in Arkansas.

Have you checked at the TExES website to see where the tests you need are offered?

22. youmanj

youmanj Rookie

Jul 13, 2010

thanks for the info, but either way...it doesn't really help when I live all the way UP here in Michigan