I don't know what to do anymore.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by texteacher, Dec 14, 2011.

1. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Dec 14, 2011

I have a student in my class who is very lost and confused and behind. She was already retained in the previous grade so she is a year older than everyone else in my class. However, she doesn't even now where my classroom is. She gets lost in the building every week. I send a buddy with her everywhere now so that I won't lose her which means if she needs to go to the nurse, bathroom, get her breakfast when she's late I need to have another child accompany her. In class, I work with her one on one all the time but she doesn't seem to learn anything I teach her. For example in math we were learning patterns and we were using colored cubes (red and blue) trying to make an ABAB pattern. She could not do it. We kept practicing but she couldn't make the pattern. She can write numbers but applies no meaning to them. She can read all CVC words and most HFW now but applies no meaning to sentences or stories. I feel like I spend all day helping her and even neglect my other students sometimes because she needs so much help with even basic activities like eating her breakfast. I filled out paperwork to refer her a long time ago and I've been bugging my admin but they just keep telling me they'll get to it. The mom thinks there is nothing wrong so I know she won't help advocate for her. How do I get her help? What would you do in this situation? I feel it's pretty severe and I know that I need to change something I'm doing so that she'll get help and my class will get more of my attention.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2011

Document document document.

Invite someone from child study in for an informal observation...

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2011

What czacza said. What concerns me is that she's repeating this grade. She should have some of the basics at least down if she is doing this all over again. Have you spoken to her previous teacher?

5. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Dec 14, 2011

She repeated the previous grade, not this one. Her first year in that grade she only learned two letters. Last year she learned the letters and how to write her name and some numbers. In my class she has only learned to sound out words and write them and write numbers but nothing else.

Can I invite someone from child study in without having done IAT? Also, my principal is super anti-Sped. I'm not sure she'd even let that person walk into my classroom. The office is very good at keeping out people they don't want.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 14, 2011

It sounds like you are doing everything you can. I would continue working with her one-on-one, document everything you are doing, and monitor her progress very closely. Assess her at least every 4 weeks, and document her progress (or lack thereof).

I would continue to push administration with the referral. The more you document, the more apt they may be to speed up the process. If they see all of the work you are doing, and that she isn't making growth, they will realize they need to get moving (hopefully!). That is really too bad your P is "anti-sped." It sounds like the student would really benefit from more one-on-one teaching, which sped would probably provide.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 14, 2011

Document it. The student needs help and when the parent wakes up and realizes their child needs help, they are going to go after whoever stood in your way. If you can, get a child study team member in there.

What is IAT? Is that what your district calls RTI?

8. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Dec 14, 2011

IAT is the intervention assistance team that has to meet and come up with a plan prior to having a student tested. My school doesn't really have one...it's all very shady. We hardly ever get kids through the process despite teacher concerns.

9. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Dec 15, 2011

Could you possibly speak to a special Ed teacher for some suggestions or advice? It sounds like there might be a serious issue. In the meantime like everyone else said. Document document document. Start a work sample folder for her if you haven't already.

10. juli233

juli233 Companion

Dec 19, 2011

this was my thoughts too. You never get anywhere unless you have tons of documentation.

I would do your best to help her but not to the point of neglecting the others. We can't rescue every kid, as much as want to. Do your best for her but keep yourself sane toO!:hugs:

11. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 20, 2011

Sounds similar to RTI.

If so, students can be evaluated concurrently with the RTI process, as per the recent OSEP letter

12. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2011

Since she gets lost often, I am wondering if her short term memory is transfering to long term. Or if she is having seizures.

Like everyone said, documnet, document, document.
    Have her with other teachers too and often.
    Meet on her with these teachers often.

What are the parents thoughts?

13. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 27, 2011

Seizures would cause more disorientation than memory issues. I wonder what happens if the student is given written instructions or if the student is shown routes to places (i.e. to go to the bathroom walk LEFT out of the classroom and down the hall until you see the trophy case, then turn right. To get back to the classroom, turn LEFT out of the bathroom, turn LEFT at the trophy case, and then walk back to our classroom [identifying information about your door here in case the student is unsure where the room is])

14. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Dec 27, 2011

If the child is having lots of simple partial seizures or complex partial seizures it could cause her to appear to be lost a lot of the time. Not saying that is what is happening; but it is possible. I used to have tons of seizures and ended up repeatedly lost in the city I spent my whole life in and I actually have a very good sense of direction. Just saying...

Have you sat down with mom and pulled out the texts for next year? That has been the thing that has been most affective for me in getting parents to understand their child is going to be or is severely challenged. Then mom might start pushing for the IEP testing process to be started which forces the school to follow through.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 27, 2011

Before we recommend a student to the Student Study Team, we must document their progress in the RtI program. Then, we can present our data to the Student Study Team to decide whether or not Special Education testing is necessary. We also try to provide other services (i.e., RSP pull-out) until the follow-up meeting is held.

16. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Dec 27, 2011

Wow...can you speak to the parents? Maybe they can put some pressure on for some testing. I had a student for intervention last year who couldn't remember letter names and sounds. I'd go over one with her, move to the next one and go back to the first and she would have no idea what it was. The school psychologist said there weren't any "problems," and that she just had a low IQ. I wonder if that may be part of your student's difficulty?

All you can do is document it to death and try to get some testing done. Good luck.

17. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Dec 27, 2011

Yes, continue to document! It seems like you are doing what you can to help her, so just keep plugging away and document every little thing you are doing (down to chunking or differentiated instruction or visual aids).

Does your district have a Special Education Coordinator or Director? If things aren't getting accomplished in your school, I would get input from someone higher up and more experienced in special education. It sounds like this little one has some pretty clear deficits, and if your P won't attend to this issue, you'll have to keep trying other outlets.

18. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 28, 2011

True, but there would be some moments of clarity, unless the student is having hundreds of seizures a day.

Special Education testing can happen at the same time as RTI, according to a recent decision/letter from the Federal Office of Special Education Programs.