I don't know what to do about this......(shhh...wart).

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Hoot Owl, May 17, 2009.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 17, 2009

Yes, it's just awful, go ahead and laugh, yes, it's funny, but it hurts, and I'm sick of it. I've had it for about 5 years now and I'm sick of it. It's on my index finger, left hand. It hurts to type the letters, f,g,r,t,v, and b... ouch. I've had it removed twice by the doctor. I've bought a dozen bottles of Compound W and the dang thing still persists.

Any success stories out there??? I'd try just about anything to get rid of it!

3. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 17, 2009

I have one where I hold my finger but it doesn't hurt. I hate it so much.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 17, 2009

I have one on my toe that was electocauterized FOUR times and kept coming back bigger. It was eventually almost the size of my big toe. I used the Compound W gel and it is now smaller. I went through several liquid nitrogen treatments (including scraping it off and burning the raw flesh) plus electrocautery. And it shrunk by freaking Compound W. All that pain (and money) for nothing. I was going to a determatologist for mine.

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 17, 2009

I used the Compound W Freeze-Off on two on my toes and it worked pretty well after about four treatments. I used it back in the fall and they haven't come back yet.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 17, 2009

When we were kids, I told the neighbor boy that if he blew on his wart every night it would go away. It worked! It's worth a try...

Seriously, I heard something about putting duct tape on it for several weeks. It was in the natural remedies column of the newspaper.

7. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

May 17, 2009

Duct tape and apple cider vinegar are natural remedies that I have heard about. With the apple cider vinegar, soak a cotton ball and secure it on over night for a few weeks and it should go down. It sounds strange but I have seen it work.

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

May 17, 2009

hmmm? Did he have halitosis?? :lol:Sometimes, that'll kill anything and/or anyone!

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 17, 2009

I had 3 warts on my fingers. I tried a few different remedies but they didn't really work. They don't hurt so sometimes I just forget about them. I have 2 now but I'm not sure how I got rid of that 3rd one lol

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 17, 2009

I had a student in my class who had over 40 on his hands. They began forming on his lips too. His family doctor didn't want to do anything about it b/c he was young and they will most likely go away. After many, many months of talking to his mother, she finally took him to her doctor and he froze and cut them off.

Personally I have used Compound W on my wart and it never returned.. I am sure my student gave it to me b/c he was embarrassed to hold another students' hand, so I would always partner up with him...

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 17, 2009

Worked for me.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 17, 2009

Have someone buy it!

I had one on the palm of my hand that drove me nuts. I had it removed three times . . . once myself and twice by a doctor. Then my grandmother told me she's buy it. She gave me a quarter, touched the wart, and the darned thing was GONE within a week. That was almost 20 years ago. I had one on my finger a couple of years ago, and my mom bought it. It's gone, too.

Completely weird, but whatever works.

13. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 17, 2009

buy it? I don't get it. Is this an inside joke? lol

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 17, 2009

Did that really work, Ima Teacher?

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 17, 2009

It did work . . . which drives me NUTS because I hate superstitions like that. I know that they don't work, and there is no reason for them to work . . . but it did work twice. Sigh.

16. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 17, 2009

Any one want to buy mine????

A man did that for my husband when he was a kid, he counted how many he had and gave him a penny for everyone of them and they were GONE in a week! There has to be a logical explanation for it.

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 17, 2009

Put duct tape on the wart and cover it with a bandaid if it is unsightly. Change the duct tape each week if you need to.

This works. I've done it.

When I was little I had 14 on my toes. I went to the doc and he said to give it a few weeks before we burn them off. They got scared and went away.

If you have plantars warts on your feet, someone told me to put nailpolish on them. I had the stupid thing for 3 years on the part opposite the ball of my foot. When I pressed on it, it was the size of a quarter. I put nailpolish on it (some cheap pink stuff:)) a couple times before bed for a few nights and it just disappeared.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  18. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 17, 2009

Sure, how much will you take for it?

19. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 17, 2009

Enjoy :whistle:

In Urban Legend
    Urban legends are the modern version of folk tales or myths. They usually don't have the grand morals of myths or the venerable age of folk tales. Often, they seem like nothing more than glorified rumors. But they add to the part and parcel of the information we receive every day. In this look at wart cures in urban legend, perhaps you will find a few "wart cures" that you recognize.

Why Are They So Prevalent?

Unlike other minor ailments, there are scores of urban legends for how to cure warts. And they all seem to have very avid followings. This has happened for centuries, where folk healers did some pretty strange things to cure warts - and they seemed to work. This is because common warts (not the ones on your genitals, rectum or soles of your feet), tend to eventually go away on their own, whether you attempt a wart cure or not.

On EBay Today?

One of the most common urban legends for a wart cure is to have somebody buy your warts from you. The theory is that even warts are bound to honor a monetary exchange. And if you find someone who would be willing to buy a wart from you, this could give you a surge of well-being. This lowered stress level might help your body cure the wart all by itself, just because somebody was nice to you.
    Freshly Chopped Eel Heads

This ancient wart cure will not endear you to PETA. Also, there is no proof that it works any better than any other urban legend for warts. Please don't do this - I only list it for educational purposes. The cure was to find a live eel, chop its head off, rub the blood from the head over your wart, then bury the head. It was thought that your wart transferred to the eel.

There are many variations to the theme of wart cure to yourself by transferring it to another person or object. Another cure is to rub an egg over your wart, then bury the egg. Another is to rub a corpse about to be buried. There are dozens of variations on the theme of transference.

Any myth, folk tale or urban legend often has a grain of truth to it. The virus that carries warts, the human papilomavirus, is contagious. In order to get a wart, this means you have to have caught the virus from someone else. This could be from walking in puddles an infected person has walked in, using the same towels, sharing food or a host of other ways.

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 17, 2009

I have one on my right index finger, right at the top joint. It hurts sooo bad when pressed, which is all the time. Anytime I pick something up and curl my finger around, instant pain. I've had it for about 7 years now-no idea how I got it-and I've burned it off, used the wart band-aids, ect. Always comes back. I'm so trying the duct tape tonight.

21. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 17, 2009

I have tried most of the above. Until I had a biggie on my foot that became painful. I went to the foot doctor. He used some bug extract from a bug in Africa. It killed my skin, became swollen and painful. It ate a hole in my skin, but the wart peeled off. I did have to have it done twice. But, it worked.

22. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

May 17, 2009

If you buy it; does that mean that you also inherit the warts? :blush:

I'm all for a pretty much anything that will get rid of them; especially if it's all naturale! :love:

23. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 18, 2009

Well, my bug juice was natural.

24. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 18, 2009

10 cents!!! Which is a bargain, I've probably spent a couple of hundred dollars on the stupid thing. I'm going to try the vinegar, duct tape, and nail polish. If I could find an eel, I'd try that too!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

25. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 20, 2009

Hoot - I didn't read all the comments. Now that summer is coming, you can try keeping it covered with black electrical tape every day. It will smother and fall off eventually! Very painless. You won't be around the kids so they won't bug you about it!!

26. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 20, 2009

I'm not sure if it was a wart or whatever, but my lil one had one of those like "warts" that is made out of your skin (not a plantar's Wart, but it was skin color) one on a finger. My step mom told me that they rub a skin of a banana on ones horses get & to try that. Well, dang I did that for a week or so & it was gone!!!!

27. Securis

Securis Cohort

May 20, 2009

Depends on your take on things. I had one on my big toe when I was younger and I tortured the poor thing in all sorts of ways. What finally worked was a bandage over a cotton ball with mineral oil. I believe it worked because the wart and the surrounding skin couldn't "breath".

What I've been looking at recently is whole foods and Holistic remedies. The theory is that the foods we eat perpetuate infections like HPV and other similar afflictions.

One thing I've been trying has been lemon juice tonic (lemon juice concentrate in distilled water). The idea is that the caustic nature of the lemon juice in your body system creates a basic chemical environment in which many bugs, bacteria, and viruses do not flourish. That's not to say they can't exist but it makes it harder for them, stunts them, may even repress them.

I did this from day one this year up until the end of February. I didn't get much of anything in regards to a cold or the flu until mid April after I had ceased drinking the lemon water for a few months.

Blah, blah, blah, the point is that foods we eat might perpetuate or repress certain common ailments. Sugars and simple starches are at the top of the malignant list. You'll have to do more research on your own because I'm just parroting my recent brush with the idea.

28. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 20, 2009

I'm trying every suggestion as soon as school is out, which is FRIDAYYY!!!

I do believe diet has a lot to do with everything.

My kids are so nosey they'd worry me as bad as the wart.

Thanks again everyone!!!!

29. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 20, 2009

Warts are a pain! I have them on the bottom of my feet and they hurt. I can't get rid of them no matter what! Electrical tape would just sweat off. shoot.