I don't know what I'm looking for here..

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by gr1teach, Apr 6, 2009.

1. gr1teach

gr1teach New Member

Apr 6, 2009

So, I have an impossible class. And I know that's my first problem, thinking they are impossible. But, honestly as I get one area under control I look to something else and the area that was fine becomes not so anymore.

My kids are active, have attention issues, talking issues, respect issues for adults and each other.

They are in first grade. I never would imagine walking into a setting like this to try and teach. All my energy is focused on preventing yelling matches between students, other argument/fights, and getting them to complete work while I'm running reading groups.

I have gotten much advice from colleagues and put much of it into place. The learning abilities are 50/50... Many of the kids need additional support services, yet I do not have an aide in my room.

Special area teachers and others that have come into contact w/my students say " I am so glad I'm not you" "How do you do it?" etc... principal is now worried the results are not where they should be and I'll probably lose my job. This is my first year. I walked in before Xmas break to a class that had no set schedule and created my own. We have made progress, but the class is loaded with behavior issues.
    I don't know what I'm looking for, but I am frustrated and thought I'd post my situation.

3. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Apr 6, 2009

That's what we're here for to lend a supportive shoulder. Have you tried behavior plans and incentives for good behavior? Does your administration back you up or could a mentor at school offer you some advice?

4. KTeach27

KTeach27 Rookie

Apr 6, 2009

Wow. I would say start your year over. I know it sounds crazy. But I've had to do it before. You pretend like its the first day of school you remind them of how to do EVERYTHING. How to get up, bathroom signal, stand in line...etc. YOU MAKE THEM PRACTICE AND PRACTICE. Yes you will have to take a day or so and do this. BUT! It will be worth it. You need to let them know what the rewards and consequences are Posted. Say it everyday. Reward those good behaviors you do see. Have Stickers or M&Ms on hand. Say outloud what they should be proud of. You should be proud that you can sit on the carpet like an almost 2nd grader. I mean it all sound crazy but, I promise when you are down to your last straw this is what must be done. START AGAIN. It's okay to do.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2009

Welcome to the boards! I will give my usual suggestion: go to the Power Teaching forum and check it out. :)

6. PinkFish

PinkFish Rookie

Apr 6, 2009

I agree with Mrs. K! I too have had a rough year. My two classes have been known as the "bad group" since K. I started power teaching a few weeks ago and it works amazing!!!! I told the students that since they were almost third graders I was going to give them new rules/routines since they were so mature (I was totally making that up, however they did not know that and so they got so excited because I was treating them like 3rd graders). They've totally bought into the system and I've gotten so far with them in just a few weeks. I wish I would have tried power teaching sooner.

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2009

I think that is really great advice. It's advice that I have had to use. When I taught second grade my class was like this and I had to do this in about March. Things got a bit better. It's hard! Keep your chin up and keep coming here for your own sanity and more tips that might help.:D