I Don't Know what I'm DOING!!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by scared, Jul 26, 2010.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 29, 2010

I don't like it when that happens either, but I don't think that's what happened here. The few people who expressed concerns did so very professionally and nicely.

I hope the OP comes back, and I hope he/she continues to post and ask for help.

2. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2010

Thank you and I believe we spoke our OPINION professionally as well. We are ALL entitled to an opinion/belief and are free to express it in a constructive way (which we did). And, after all, this is what the board is for - DISCUSSION.

It seems apparent to me that this entire discussion did not make a difference either way for OP as he/she has NEVER RETURNED to this site since 7-26! The OP NEVER SAW the adverse opinions and still never came back to see if people could help. So to say he/she is reaching out for help - please..... :dizzy:

3. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jul 30, 2010

That may not be entirely true as you can read posts without ever logging in. I often do that and only log in if I want to post a thread and/or a response.

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2010

sorry I assuming she would be signing in if she was here to receive help. It doesn't matter. Done

5. TXteacher51

TXteacher51 Rookie

Jul 30, 2010

I actually just got hired to teach 3rd grade as well and I went through alt cert, too! I'm in Texas and I'll tell you that the program will REALLY give you a ton of information. I started interviewing before I finished my program and felt totally out of place and like I knew nothing. Once I finished my program, though, I felt MUCH more prepared. I mean, no one is truly prepared for teaching. Even teachers who student teach struggle. The first year is hard for everyone, I think. I've never met a teacher who didn't say that the first year was hard, overwhelming, crazy... but totally exciting! Good luck, and hang in there! :)

6. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 30, 2010

YEP :agreed:

7. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 30, 2010

TXteacher: Congrats on getting a job. You are so right... the real learning begins when you actually have to do it. Its tough but rewarding. Enjoy your first year and don't forget to make time for you.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 10, 2010

So the OP never came back I guess. That's too bad. :mellow:

9. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

I hope she found help elsewhere...

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2010

I know nothing about teaching 3rd grade, other than having 2 of my 3 kids already survive it.

But I would, of course, start with the material.

Go in today and get a copy of each of the books you'll be using. Take a look at the state standards on the TX state website. Is 3rd a testing year in TX?? IF so, look at old exams. Get a handle on the material you'll be teaching, then worry about how you'll teach it.

11. 9love2teach9

9love2teach9 New Member

Aug 10, 2010

Buy the book quickly

As a previous poster said, get Harry Wong's book on Classroom Management. It is a wonderful book and will tell you the things you need to do at the beginning of the year. Go to Amazon and you can have it delivered quickl. You might want to check with your media center they may have a copy of it already and you could use it till yours came in. Personally I have my own copy and refer to it every year just to refresh. Your focus for the first month is on procedures and routines. His book will guide you. I would be honest and ask if there is a mentor for you. Your principal knows you are totaly new and better to have a mentor to help than to try and do it all alone and get swamped.
    Please feel free to ask and there are so many wonderful people on here to help you. Good luck and you will do fine.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2010

KC,I hadn't read the entire thread until now. But I think you're completely right.

My 7 year old daughter has had 2 teachers who didn't have a clue what they were doing. Her education is suffering.

I'm sure they were very nice. They may even have read Harry Wong. But they should not have been in front of a classroom.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 10, 2010

Thanks Alice. I tried to put it nicely, but still managed to make some people mad. Oh, well! Maybe Harry Wong can help! ;)

(I know how you feel about Harry Wong!)

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2010

To be honest, I've never read him.

But I know that teaching -- good teaching at least--is far too complex for a one-size-fits-all cure. What works in my 2nd period on Tuesday won't work n 3rd on Wednesday, and this is after 24 years in the classroom. So while his books may contain some suggestions that appeal to some and work for others, I can't see it taking the place of knowing what you're doing in front of your class.

15. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 10, 2010

It definitely all depends, though. I was a very similar first year teacher (compared to the OP).

I did not have student teaching, had never really been in a classroom and I got a job teaching as an intern teacher.

My first year was hugely successful. I was a workaholic, of course, to keep my head above water but I served the kiddos in my class very well.

On the flip side, there are experienced teachers who shouldn't be in the classroom any more than some of the inexperienced teachers. Everything is on a case by case basis.

16. MissKH81

MissKH81 Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

For what it's worth, I think you said it very nicely and professionally. I agree with you. We all want to help OP for the children's sake and for hers as well just as others have given us guidance on this forum. However, it is disappointing to hear that someone can be handed a teaching job so easily, while the rest of us had to work so hard for it.

17. scared

scared New Member

Oct 17, 2010

Wow! I can't believe all the help I got. First of all, I wasn't offended by anything anyone said (months ago). Second of all, the district was able to find a teacher the very next day so I kept my social work position. As for the teaching, I was very intrigued and shocked that I even had the option to go through an ACP so I looked into it, signed up and am almost finished. I have already taken the required exams and passed the PPR. I feel that when I do go into teaching, I will be much more prepared. I appreciate all the advice and regret not signing in...I had no idea this site would be so supportive and people would actually respond. I guess as I am completing my new job search as an actual teacher, I'll get a lot of help!!! Thanks guys!

18. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 17, 2010

Glad to hear everything worked out for you. :)