I dont know how to respond?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by yeahimateacher, Aug 18, 2012.

1. yeahimateacher

yeahimateacher Rookie

Aug 18, 2012

I received a call from an office manager at a school this morning saying the principal thought I would be a good fit for another position they had open. She said the principal viewed my resume and wanted me to talk to her. Then I found out the job is a special education position teaching math but I am only endorsed to teach English and currently working toward a special education endorsement. I saw that this particular job posting has been open since june and I believe school starts on Monday. I am willing to take any teaching job but how do I respond knowingly not qualified? This would also be my first teaching position if offered the position.

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 18, 2012

They may have another position that has not posted. I would go in and talk to the principal anyway. If the position is out of your field, he may suggest that you receive an additional endorsement in order to be highly qualified. I would give it a shot since the P obviously needs a teacher. You will know within the first few minutes if you want to give the job/school a try! Good luck!

4. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 18, 2012

Last year, I was hired to teach high school math, even though I did not have my certification at that level. I continued taking the Praxis II for the certification while working there, but still didn't pass before the end of the year.

Despite that, the principal was very pleased with the job I did and I was offered the position again this year. I declined because I was also offered a position in middle school math, which I AM certified in and also feel more comfortable teaching.

Even though I wasn't certified, I DID feel I was qualified to teach the material and the principal felt so too.

If the P feels you would a good fit for this position, then (s)he obviously feels you ARE qualified to teach the material and/or meet the need the school has. I'm sure the P will want you to continue pursuing your official certification, but feels you can do a quality job in the meantime. If the P is comfortable with having you in the position, you should feel comfortable as well.

Good Luck. Let us know what you decide. :thumb:

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2012

How did you find out what the principal has in mind? It's entirely possible that either there's a second opening, or that he's planning to move people around, if only he can find the teacher who has what you bring to the table.

Go in, talk to him. You have nothing to lose by listening.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2012

The past two years, I've taught a HS resource math class. I am certified special ed and high school English, but not math. I taught the class but was not the teacher of record. In TX, I think you have two years to get the certification.

7. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Aug 18, 2012

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that in my state you can teach anything with a special ed endorsement. It isn't subject specific.

8. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 18, 2012

I believe that is true in my state, as well. I have a friend who is sped. and taught a mainstreamed class last year.

I would give it a shot...you never know!

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2012

I had an interview for a special ed job last summer. They knew I wasn't certified at all-they said I had a year to take some classes and get certified (and they would pay for it). I was actually offered the job-over candidates who were already certified. So you never know what could happen!

10. yeahimateacher

yeahimateacher Rookie

Aug 18, 2012

Well I originally applied for an English Lang Arts position for a position that had just closed with the school. Then the office manager called and sent me an email saying the principal said she wanted to see if I would be interested in a LRC position that was available. When I asked her the specifics and told her my qualifications she said that I just talk with the principal and she would send me to her voicemail.
    If I did have a Sped endorsement it would be good for K-12 all subjects but I just started working on it in May. But math has always been my worse subject and I just want to feel confident in the classroom. The position is also 2 hours away, which I am willing to make the move and travel for the interview-I had in my last interview. I have also applied to over 30 positions across the state this summer with only 2 interviews with one I am still waiting to hear back from. I will take any full time position; I want students to learn from me, I just don’t want to mess things up.
    Thank you for the replies and I will keep you posted on what happens on Monday.

11. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Aug 18, 2012

You can also get hired on a provisional and work towards the degree over three years.