I don't know how to go on..

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by freespirit71, Nov 8, 2016.

1. freespirit71

freespirit71 New Member

Nov 8, 2016

I am new to private preschool but experienced with public elementary school teaching.. My current "school" is run by a church governing board of @ 15 people. I essentially have 15 bosses. My assistant walked off the job 2 weeks ago. She and I fought for control of the class since the first day, even though I am the head teacher/administrator. It finally came to a head between us and she left. Now I have a revolving door of board members covering her spot until a new assistant can be hired. In the last week, not only did I lose my assistant but the board members have come in and changed my schedule completely, changed my curriculum, got rid of the expensive Christmas program I bought with my own money, and rearranged my room while I was out. They have told me to do my newsletters daily instead of weekly, changed the actual calendar for the year, told me what I have to say verbatim to parents every day, and stopped the assessments I was running with the kids. Since my assistant left, board members have been teaching my class while I have been relegated to aide duties. Yesterday I could hardly function from being so overwhelmed and depressed, on top of trying to recover from the flu. I cried all weekend. My husband is so sick of my job. I told a board member I am thinking about putting my notice in (2 months required by my contract). I don't know how to make it through to Christmas not to mention the year. The bottom line is like the moral about "too many cooks spoiling the soup". I can't imagine subbing for a public school teacher (as I have done in the past) and completely changing her daily schedule, curriculum, year calendar, assessments, newsletter, and music program literally overnight. In the public school, as a sub, I would be fired for doing that...but this obviously isn't public school. I told a board member that all of these changes should have been in place when I got hired in August or put in place over winter break. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 8, 2016

Sounds like the soup is already spoiled. If it's financially feasible, get out. From what I've heard, church run anything is the worst unless you're in the "in" crowd.

freespirit71 likes this.
  4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 8, 2016

There is no reason that would make me tolerate this situation another minute. They don't deserve all your hard work and energy. Get out and save your sanity.

freespirit71 likes this.
  5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2016

What can they do to you if you don't give 2 months notice? Absolutely nothing. That is ridiculous. I agree with your husband. Get out now and find a real job.

freespirit71 and czacza like this.
  6. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Nov 8, 2016

Husbands are good indicators. When mine started emailing me nearby job listings, I knew it was probably time to look for something else. ;) This sounds like an untenable situation. I agree with everyone else. Get out as soon as you can. It's not worth your health, happiness, or peace of mind.

freespirit71 and czacza like this.
  7. freespirit71

freespirit71 New Member

Nov 11, 2016

Thank you for your supportive replies. Here's another example of what I'm dealing with...last night I had a board meeting. (They have a lot of board meetings. I am required to attend.) I was told the meeting was about creating an advertisement for a new aide, and they needed my input on what the aide job description should entail. However, when I got there, the meeting was to discuss my job performance and if I planned to stay through the rest of the year as they were aware that I was not happy. I felt ambushed. I wish they would have been up front about what the meeting was actually about so I had to think about what to say. This is how things work there. I told them that I felt there needed to be more transparency between the board and the staff. They didnt like that remark.
    I am going to have to stick it out the rest of the year, but then I will leave whether I find a new job or not. It is so hard to wake up and face another day there, but I have to do it. Thank you again. Please wish me luck.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 11, 2016

That's ridiculous. They seem like very nasty people! I would have kept asking about the aide advertisement. Again and again until they discussed what they promised they were going to discuss.

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 11, 2016

It sounds to me like they are trying to get you to quit. They've taken over your room, essentially made you the aide, and had a meeting about your intentions. If you can find another job, I would leave. They will just continue to make you miserable until then.

10. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Nov 11, 2016

If they want to Teach the class, let them and hide out in the Teachers lounge.

Just my 2 Cents

Worth every penny that you paid for it.

ChildWhisperer likes this.