I don't know how to create a lesson plan for science using reading development activi

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Peachyness, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2011

So, I have to create a science lesson plan using a reading development activity. I really have no clue what that means or entails. Any ideas there, guys?

So, I already wrote up a lesson plan about the different layers of the atmosphere. They are to read (because I thought this was what was meant in regards to a reading component) with their partners their chapter. Then, their activity WAS going to be where they sketched/drew the layers of the atmosphere and the temps and any other pertinent information. THEN, I learned that there had to be a reading development activity. GUH? I don't understand what this means.

3. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 27, 2011

Just a few thoughts: highlight text structure, preview the passage and hit down words they might struggle with, main ideas and details, write a summary, vocabulary.

Essentially, what can you do with the passage so students better understand what they are reading?

That's the way I interpreted the assignment. Is this for a model lesson?

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 27, 2011

Great ideas, Kat! Could you incorporate a graphic organizer? Venn Diagram, or one that helps break down main idea/supporting details? Or perhaps one that works on fact vs. opinion?

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2011

Kat, this is for a class that I'm taking. I wanted to see your guys' opinion first, as this teacher hasn't been very helpful at all. In fact, this whole class has been so confusing.

Kat and Jem, thanks!

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 27, 2011

Peachy, I would interpret it as Kat did: that you need to include activities that would be considered "reading development", not just reading. I would assume I needed to include techniques used to help the child develop comprehension/retention skills along with the reading.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2011

Right. I thought when I read reading development activity, I thought something AFTER the actual lesson, like an independent activity. That confused me. What Kat said made perfect sense. :) haha, I'm just so tired and confused.

8. misterdee

misterdee Rookie

Apr 30, 2011

To be safe, you should have pre, during, and post reading activities. Have them use a KWL chart -- that can be used for all three.

MrD

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2011

Yes, good idea. And, I know my teacher likes KWL charts a lot. :D

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 8, 2011

So, I rewrote my lesson plan. I actually didn't have to change it a whole lot to meet the reading development criteria, luckily.

But, I'm stuck on their independent activity. I was going to have them write a cause and effect for a scenario. Is that considered too much of a writing activity? Should I just have them write a summary of what they read?