I don't know anything about 3rd grade......

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by precious angel, May 18, 2007.

1. precious angel

precious angel Companion

May 18, 2007

Hi guys,

I have been posting my input in different forums but now I need some advice. I've went to 2 job interviews and have one scheduled the end of the month. The first school was ok but I really enjoyed the second one(I felt that I could grow there). Now, I'm waiting around for someone to tell me they want to hire me. I want to teach K or First grade but as a little girl I wanted to teach 3rd grade. I just got a call and a teacher asked me if I would feel comfortable teaching 3rd grade (she works at the second school I went to for my interview). Those that are teaching 3rd grade is it hard? I spend a lot of time with K and 1st graders and I do not have a clue about 3rd grade (just know some students think they are grown).:love:
    I know with that grade most of the students will know the basics but I know there's more to the curriculum.

Please help

3. snowyday

snowyday Rookie

May 18, 2007

Third grade is the best grade ever! The kids are independent (sort of), inquisitive, gregarious, and enthusiastic. They are no longer babies but still love school and their teacher! You will have so much fun with this age group. The possibilities are endless!

4. precious angel

precious angel Companion

May 18, 2007

Awww, thanks so much. I was reading someone's message on here the other day stating that, "whatever grade you enjoyed the most, try and teach that grade." Well I enjoyed 3rd grade and I was in 3rd grade when my grandmother passed (she was a teacher and she inspired me to become a teacher). Again :thanks:

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

May 18, 2007

Go for the third grade, the door is open and you'll have a classroom of your own. Get back with her immediately and tell her you thought it over and you know it was the grade you enjoyed the most and you want to teach 3rd graders.

6. precious angel

precious angel Companion

May 18, 2007

I contacted her and I'm waiting for her to call me back. I'm so excited because I'm been wanting my classroom since 3rd grade (9 yrs old). So please keep me in your prayers. I have been preparing myself for 10 years (going to college) and this is what I really want.

7. nc4th

nc4th Rookie

May 18, 2007

Good luck! I teach 4th grade and I think that 3rd and 4th are good years. They are not the big man on campus yet but they are still able to be role models to the younger kids. They can do so much on their own.

8. precious angel

precious angel Companion

May 18, 2007

Now that I'm hearing it from you, I did give it some thought. Whenever she calls back, I will let her know I will accept it. They know that I'm strong with discipline so I wouldn't have a problem with that :).

9. pmfawcett

pmfawcett Rookie

May 18, 2007

Third grade is the best grade in the whole world! I ditto everything that has been said. Go for it! I would jump at the chance to teach 3rd grade!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 18, 2007

Good for you. Third graders are still very young, yet quite independent. It is a great age.

11. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

May 18, 2007

I loved teaching third grade. The kids are independent, they still love their teacher, they do what they're told (most of the time!!) and they are downright lovable.

Don't give it another thought, just go for it. Now, if you had said seventh grade....:eek: ;)

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 18, 2007

Third graders are Precious too!

I think you will make a great 3rd grade teacher! I taught 3rd gr. in a Catholic school. I enjoyed the kids, but did not do well with the school. I think it helps to be of the same faith or at least accepting of the philosophy and curriculum, if you choose a private school.

Public school will be a breeze! You have older, seasoned teachers to show you the ropes. The primary staff will look to you for ideas to get their students ready. 3rd grade is the final step before reality kicks in! Tests, tests and more tests. Not to mention hormones! :0

Third graders and their parents enjoy school. They are young enough to mold and shape, but old enough to work alone. Parents are still optimistic. You may be the one to make or break their whole school experience.

Once your principal sees you in action in 3rd gr., (assuming you have an elementary certificate), you will be considered for grades Pre-k to 2nd too, and the higher grades as well! If you make your wishes known, and have good reviews-the principal will look out for you.

I used to think kindergarten teachers never quit, moved, or transferred - just retired! I am content with pre-k, but I am licensed to teacher Pre-k thru 3rd. Keep your options open.

Master Pre-K

13. precious angel

precious angel Companion

May 20, 2007

Thanks for your advice Master Pre-K. I guess I use to be afraid of all the objectives that have to be covered in grades 3 and up. I know if I have a supportive school (administrators, teachers, etc.), I know I will do great. I have been so busy doing research and I'm so excited. The only thing now is they have me waiting :angel:

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 20, 2007

I believe any grade can be your favorite as long as you go in with a positive attitude. I love all my grades!

15. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

May 20, 2007

This grade is just wonderful! They still want to please and respect you at all times.They are helpful students and very INDEPENDENT. Their just adorable!

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 20, 2007

Stay Informed

You're welcomed Precious!

Third grade is a breeze, but stay informed. Find older teachers to help show you the ropes. But keep in mind new laws, local school boards, and NCLB will change things. I plan to retire before they force me to give my preschoolers more tests!

Master Pre-K