I don't have any idea.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by popqwerty, May 16, 2013.

1. popqwerty

popqwerty Rookie

May 16, 2013

Today, I had my initial interview. During the last part of it, I was asked if I had questions for them. I was so nervous that I forgot to ask what would happen next after the interview. I left the room and they all just said that it was nice to meet me. I really don't have any idea whether they like me for the job or anything. None of them mentioned about giving me a call or setting another interview. Does it mean I didn't get the job?

3. Rbart

Rbart Companion

May 16, 2013

It doesn't mean anything. I would follow up with a thank you email or letter.

4. popqwerty

popqwerty Rookie

May 16, 2013

I just did. I'm nervous! Thank you!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 16, 2013

They usually don't commit to a second interview until they've interviewed all of their candidates. I wouldn't worry too much.

6. needajobplease

needajobplease Rookie

May 19, 2013

Help! Reference Question

I had the same experience last Thursday at an interview. I asked questions, but they were not interested in my portfolio. I feel at this point that they would have called my references already, but they have not.

Does anyone have any opinions about when they call references? I am trying to be positive, but the pessimist in me is a much louder voice!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 19, 2013

They call references in my district when they are fairly sure of the candidates they want.

8. needajobplease

needajobplease Rookie

May 19, 2013

So you are saying that because they have not called my refs, that are probably not going to hire me?

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 19, 2013

Contacting references can vary GREATLY. One of my interviews this year contacted them before my first interview. At my current school, my P doesn't usually contact them until we've decided exactly who we are going to hire. So there really is no way to know by reference checks.

10. Wrathgara

Wrathgara Rookie

May 20, 2013

As mentioned , in my district if they co tact references you're 90% sure to get the job. It's the last step before they offer the job. I wish all districts were the same so your question would be easier to answer

11. redtop

redtop Companion

May 20, 2013

The reference thing varies widely. Some schools contact them before they even actually review your resume. Others don't contact them until a job offer is impending.

However - most sorry to say this - most will check them at some point. So if they are actually in decision mode and haven't contacted yours, they are probably contacting someone else's.

It may depend on what stage your interview was. You posted on Sunday about an interview "last Thursday." They may have other candidates to interview before they narrow it down to a (very) short list. Even if they were already hot hot hot to hire you, it doesn't follow that right after your interview the first thing they do is all get together and say "Let's call this guy's references so we can offer him a job before somebody else does." They have responsibilities and lives that aren't related to your job application.

Yeah, I know it sucks to go over the weekend not knowing what's going on. (Mrs. Redtop has two interviews next Friday, we're clearly going to be in the same boat.)

12. popqwerty

popqwerty Rookie

May 25, 2013

I didn't get the job. They said they found a better candidate.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 25, 2013

I´m so sorry to hear that. Just keep checking. There´s a better school out there for you.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 25, 2013

I'm sorry :(
    We've all been there.

15. popqwerty

popqwerty Rookie

Jun 1, 2013

Thank you!

16. popqwerty

popqwerty Rookie

Jun 1, 2013

I got really sad, but it was a learning experience. Thanks.