I don't have a portfolio...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by luv2teach444, Aug 22, 2015.

1. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Aug 22, 2015

because I have read so many opinions on if we should or not. I do have a Prezi to introduce myself, but that is all.

Not that I am going to get an interview...but just curious if you think I should.

I haven't taught, only subbed & I don't have pics or video of me teaching. so don't know what I'd put in it, thus th reason I haven't bothered.

3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Aug 22, 2015

I made a portfolio during my student teaching. It has the following documents: management plan, philosophic you, resume, references, certificate, copies of test scores, transcripts, PD certificates, and then work samples (lesson plans, newsletters, pictures of student work). I made most of these things before I ever taught- just from student teaching experiences. I have obviously added to it over my years of teaching but you can easily make one.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 22, 2015

I was on the interview committee this year and didn't see anyone bring in a portfolio, so they must be getting less popular. However, I really do think mine helped me in my interviews. Most people will not just look through your portfolio if you just bring it with you. You have to use it when you answer interview questions. For example, if they ask how you communicate with parents, you can show them your parent newsletter or other things you do from your portfolio. I always brought student data in mine and would try to work in how much growth my students made with my answers. I think that always really impressed people. I also do a lot of data tracking with my students, and pulled out examples of that when they asked how I motivated my students. I think my portfolio helped make my answers much stronger.

5. smile3

smile3 Rookie

Aug 23, 2015

for my portfolio, i created a google site, its not necessary for an interview since they are looking for your personality and will this candidate connect with kids?

You don't need pics an vids of you teaching- but if you can get some you can put them in your portfolio-

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 23, 2015

I've always taken a binder/paper portfolio with me on interviews, as well as, a folder than is a mini-portfolio that I can give to the admins so that they have some artifacts of my work. I don't even care if they ask to see it or not - as I'm answering a question I will pull that open to something that will visually show them what I'm talking about.

Class web-site - I have a screen shot of my site to show them what it would look like

Classroom set-up - I have a 1 page paper that has a few images of my classroom (student desks, cabinet organization, my desk, and students working), as well as, two paragraphs discussing my set-up. (I put this in the folder portfolio too)

Lesson plan - I have a few lesson plans that focus in on that particular grade I'm interviewing for, one is an experiment/lab, one is more of a lecture style lesson

Assessment - I have 2-3 different types of assessments I can pull from. A traditional test, a portfolio, and a project. Shows that I use various tools and methods to check for learning.

I know that I have to really sell myself - so just like any good business person I showcase my products.

7. teachartk-12

teachartk-12 Rookie

Aug 23, 2015

hi there. I am art, k-12, so I have a portfolio. I spent so much time putting it together that I bring it with me on every interview. Most looked at it. Some did not. I do believe it helped me to get to second interviews, demos, etc. but again, I am art and visuals are what we do!!

8. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 23, 2015

I've NEVER been asked to share my portfolio and I've been on a ton of interviews. Only once did I even give a sample to someone.

I have however seen several people bring portfolios but usually it's the same thing (when I've spoken to people while waiting during interviews anyway).

I do however think it's a good idea to have an active portfolio BEYOND just having transcripts, test scores, resumes, and letters. Throw in lessons, professional developments you have led, etc. I however don't have all that organized since I never get asked to one anyway. It's something though I know I should have done especially since I've done a lot of things that were successful.