I don't have a pen...I forgot my book in my locker...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by inlovewithwords, Apr 5, 2010.

1. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Apr 5, 2010

What do you do when a student does not have a pen for class? I have been keeping the student after class or sometimes keeping the whole class behind 1 minute for each textbook forgotton. Needless to say...It hasn't worked. I have tried having them give me their shoe, pay 1.00 and all of those ideas. Anyone have a practical solution to keep my classroom in order. Frankly, I am just tired of hearing these statements in the middle of my lesson. I want the students to take ownership and know exactly what to do when this problem arises. Any ideas?

3. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Apr 5, 2010

One teacher in my school made this a daily assignment for her students. Here is what she told her class:

This is your class project: Every day I will give you 5 points. If you come to class without your book, I will take 2 points away. If you don't have your pen, I will take away 2 points. If you ask to leave the room for ANY reason, I will take away 2 points. Yes it is possible to have negative points for a day.

She had a spread sheet prepped for each class, so it was simple to keep track of everyone.

Figure if you do this for 4 weeks, that is a possible 100 points. Kids in our school are obsessed with point values.

Mind you, she taught a very tough science class, so her students could use the grade boost.

Me-I just don't let them leave during class. I collected boxes of pencils for extra credit (they used all mine), so if someone needs one now, no problem. Forgot your book? Sorry for your luck. Share with your neighbor.

4. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Apr 5, 2010

Oh, and I post a sign outside my door on days when books are definitely needed for class. This is a courtesy, since it has been a requirement since the first day of school that they bring their books to class every day.

Next year's freshman are getting laptops with easy access to the online textbook. I will only have a few real books out for students who, like me, need to turn pages.

5. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Apr 6, 2010

I got a box of golf pencils- the short ones with no erasers. When a student didn't have a pen they had to use these. I didn't want to interrupt learning time by making a big deal out of it, but since no one liked these pencils it helped them remember.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 6, 2010

I've got too much content to cover with my students each day I see them to waste time letting kids return to lockers or fining kids for not having materials. Forgot your book? Look off your neighbor. Forgot your pencil? There's extras in the back of the room, don't take it with you.

I see close to 100 juniors/seniors each day. I still have extra pencils available that I put at the back of the room at the beginning of the year.

7. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 6, 2010

The Middle School where I did my student teaching has implemented a new "3 strikes" policy. Any trip out of the room to retrieve an assignment, text book, pencil/pen or anything else the students should bring with them is an automatic strike. Failing to do a homework assignment is another automatic strike. Any behavior problems or class disruptions can also result in a strike. If a group gets 3 strikes, they lose their break time the next day. If two kids forget their books in a group, that's two strikes automatically. If another kid didn't have their homework assignment, that group just lost their break time the next day.

My concern is that this punishes the majority of kids who come to class prepared, since it is usually the same kids each day that "forget" their books or assignments. The teachers understood that concern but said the kids had reached the point where all other efforts no longer affected them, so they had to try something new. I admit it helped keep behavior problems in line when a class started out with two strikes before lesson time had even started.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2010

That's pretty much my policy. I hit the ground running at or before the bell. If you don't have what you need, you're already behind. So borrow some paper or a pen and get going!

I always have some paper; even my freshmen know not to abuse my generosity. I have a bucket on my desk. At the end of the day I fill it with whatever pens/pencils I find on the floor.

When that bell rings, we start class!

9. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Apr 6, 2010

Since I am a sub (no desk, no bucket) I do a similar thing with a ziplock freezer bag. I pick up pens/pencils from the rooms and hallways and redistribute them as needed. Keeps me from spending my exceptionally limited funds on supplies for the unprepared.

10. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Apr 6, 2010

I've used a few things that have worked fairly well for me. One is an "active learner chart" which is basically a spreadsheet with things listed like "Did I ask a question in class today?" "Did I come to school with all my materials" etc. Each box is worth a point, for a total of 8-10 bonus points. At the end of two weeks, I attached a grade report to it and made them take it home and return it signed.

Another thing that's worked is that I simply don't buy pencils for them. I have a box of art supplies (crayons, markers, etc) and if they don't have a pencil, I give them a crayon or marker. They hate it and a lot of the time magically come up with another pencil. This way they're not rewarded for being a slacker, but also don't suffer by not being able to do their work.

11. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Apr 6, 2010

I have a several of kids who look for any excuse not to work and "I forgot ______" is a favorite. Then, of course, there's the ones who honestly forgot or show up without to avoid a tardy.

I keep pencils, paper, and spare books in my room. Show up without, grab one of mine and put your name on the board so I remember to get it back from you at the end of class.

Need to Borrow paper?....just give me some sheets back tomorrow.

Works really well with my Juniors and Seniors as most of them are pretty respectful. When I'm teaching Algebra II, I typically end the semester with more paper than I started with. I really enjoy students who are that responsible and that respectful.

Some of my freshman want to get away with as much as they can so I've got to come up with a points system of some sort to crack down on the ones that see it as something to be taken advantage of.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 6, 2010

It's not a battle I choose to fight.

Some of the kids are so scatter-brained that they are lucky to find their way to the room. Some of the kids don't have the resources to buy supplies. Some just don't care enough to bring them. Some want to get otu of class to go get them.

So, whatever the reason, I have extras. I hit all the sales every summer, and I've got paper, pencils, folders . . . all the supplies. I also keep books.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2010

I also don't use textbooks in class. (It cuts down on kids doing the homework in front of me.) Aside from my SAT class, my kids can leave their textbooks home.

Everything else is easy to borrow.

14. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 6, 2010

I LOVE IT!!!! GREAT IDEA! I'll have to try that one myself. :thumb:

15. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 6, 2010

They hate having to use a crayon even more than a golf pencil

16. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Apr 6, 2010

I have the same philosophy as well. However, I do pay attention to who is always using the materials I provide. When a student appears to consistently using them, I have a private chat with him/her to see what is going on and help make a plan to have all the materials for classes.

17. Mrs. Toby

Mrs. Toby Rookie

Apr 6, 2010

At the beginning of the semester I purchased floral picks (used to decorate floral arrangements) at Michael's for $.11 each. I then use floral tape to adhere the picks to the extra pens and pencils I had on hand. These were kept in a jar for students to use and return if they forgot their own.

Last week someone asked me where all the extra pencils were to which I replied, "Stolen." They destroyed the tape and removed the picks to steal the writing utensil that was attached! So now my jar sits empty and students who come unprepared are out of luck. I might try the crayon trick, but my 7th graders might enjoy that too much!

18. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Apr 7, 2010

I always kept a stack of scrap paper with a blank back for slackers. You could use MY paper, but you couldn't ever earn 100% with it, because it wasn't yours to begin with. You want a perfect score? Use your own stuff. You want something done for you? You needn't expect points for that. Only YOUR work counts. Bringing supplies is part of your work, kids.

And yes, I kept an eye out for kids who never seemed to have any supplies of their own. I always had a huge pile of new notebooks, pens, etc, for them, but only once a semester. Those who didn't take care of their gifts didn't get another one.

Why, yes, I do believe in taking good care of one's possessions, particularly when it's a gift. Those who don't, don't deserve another one. And most of you probably don't want to know what happened when a student showed up without his gifted supplies the next time.

I've made a lot of phone calls, asking slacker parents why THEY took and used their child's possessions, and billed them for it, too.

I have no patience and very little compassion for adults who act like undisciplined, rowdy, redneck brats. I've had other family members take coats, shoes, etc, we gave a child, and wear them themselves! Unspeakably evil.

You know me: share and share alike is a slogan penned by someone who wanted someone else's stuff.

Here's mine: bring your own stuff and keep your hands off anything that isn't yours unless you ask and receive permission first. In the home and everywhere. Always. Forever. No exceptions.

19. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2010

I have extra scrap paper in a bucket and they can ask their neighbors for a pen or pencil. I used to provide them, but the pencils and pens seem to walk off, and no one replenishes the lined paper.

And I'm sorry about this, but I can't seem to stop. I have a tendency to say "Do I look like Wal-Mart?" or "Would you like me to stop class and run out and buy you some school supplies?" I know it's sarcasm, but they laugh.

20. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Apr 7, 2010

I used to have this issue as well.

I noticed it was seldom kids intentionally taking and more that they didn't keep it in mind all the way to the end of class.

When I started making them put their name on the board and started making it part of my routine to ask for them back at the end of class, those problems went away with no issues. (I tell my kids, "I don't put your name on the board to shame you....I just do it to make sure I get them back so the next class has stuff to borrow if they need it.")

I even have kids come by to return stuff 1 or 2 classes later. It's GREAT with the respectful kids who are easily the majority of my students.

I buy a $5 pack of pencils at the first of the year and 2 packs of paper. In my first year, that would have been gone in less than 1 semester. Now, I have left overs at the end of the year even with my freshman classes. I end the year having more than I started with in my Junior and Senior classes. It's turned into a really good aspect of my relationship with my students for me.

21. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2010

I really like this idea - I'll be adopting it, if you don't mind! :D

Another thing I do is collect students' composition notebooks at the end of the year, if they don't want them (most don't, because they're seniors and eager to shed anything connected with high school.) The following year when I get a TA, I put them to work with one of those letter openers with the little hidden blade - very safe to use - and have them harvest all the good paper. We use that for quizzes or in-class writing that I want to collect. I like have everything a uniform size, and it's using paper that otherwise would have been thrown away.

22. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 8, 2010

I like the idea, Muttling, of putting their name on the board and having them return the item(s). I may adopt that next year.

23. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Apr 8, 2010

I'm sorry....But I just don't have time to give each student points everyday for bringing supplies, especially when I have 150 students. That is just not practical and I don't feel they should get points for doing something they should be doing anyways.

I might just try to lend them pens and when it becomes a consistent issue, I will document it and call home. We will see how this works next year.

My goal is really to eliminate the disruption in class and for students to become more autonomous.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

24. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 8, 2010

So do I.

Considering my motto to my math students was "If you do it in pen, you do it again", it would be hypocritical to give them a crayon.

I insisted assignments be done in pencil to save eye strain on me and make corrections easier for them. So the golf pencils would be a great solution for my situation.

25. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Apr 8, 2010

When it comes time to factor quadratics, I insist on them bringing a pen and a pencil.

The parts that never change are written in ink, the factors are written in pencil so they can be changed.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2010

I tell them to use whatever they want, as long as I can read it.

Pencil smudges after a while. Given my choice, I would prefer to see pen nicely crossed out than smudged or badly erased pencil. (Sacrilige, I know, for a math teacher.)

27. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 9, 2010

The "no-pen" rule was initiated by my CT, but was not strictly enforced. I began enforcing it after spending a Sunday afternoon grading problems written in bright pink, purple, neon green and cherry red. Some of the kids didn't think I was serious until I started handing papers back with a "0" on them and made them do it over. Only had to do that once for them to get the message.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2010

"If I can't read it, it's wrong."

29. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2010

I only allow them to use blue or black pen. If they have an assignment that requires pencil, I lend them out.

If they don't have a pen, they can borrow one from me before the bell. In exchange, I take a cell phone, iPod, or their hall pass - which is then locked in my desk drawer. I get my pen back every time. If they don't ask before the bell, then a) they aren't prepared and are already wasting class time by asking and b) I call home to let the parents know their child needs school supplies.

30. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Apr 12, 2010

No pencils in English class; just black gel pens or keyboards. Pencils were allowed only when diagramming sentences. I actually loathe pencils. I'm too eager to get down my thoughts, and a sharpened pencil will last about ten seconds with me. Mechanical pencils, maybe two.

Dark, stark, official, professional black gel pens.

I can totally understand pencils in a math class, though.

As for colored inks: No. Just, no. Only the queen can use colored gel pens and I am the queen. At this level, if someone turns in a paper done in pastels or glitter or with the i's dotted with smiley faces or flowers, I return it for a complete re-do the first week and shred it thereafter.