"I Don't Discipline My Child....."

Discussion in 'General Education' started by scholarteacher, Apr 30, 2018.

1. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

May 1, 2018

Yeah, it was just the tiny font I was poking fun at.....couldn't even begin to read it lol :)

2. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

May 1, 2018

Ok. I edited it to a normal size font. Sorry about getting all defensive.

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 1, 2018

No elves or Little People were offended...;)

Seriously folks....

Judge not...

Ask about the content of a child’s character, and not the color of their skin.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    scholarteacher likes this.
  4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 1, 2018

Sounds like the pilot for “Welcome Back Kotter”.

Only a student from that group who eventually graduated, and went to college could manage as the teacher in that nonsense.

I hate it when mgt tells me they know an employee is bad. WTH are you keeping them for??

Leaborb192 likes this.
  5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 1, 2018

True... so since lumping everyone together can "present serious complications" then wouldn't lumping all people within a group (i.e. all Hispanics) also have the potential to also "present serious complications"?

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 1, 2018

Y
    You are sooo bad...

I needed a laugh..living with a sociopath!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  7. Been There

Been There Habitué

May 2, 2018

No, not necessarily - but anything is possible. You don't have to agree!

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 2, 2018

Would it be safe to say there are cultural differences in child raising? Certainly that is a true statement. But within a culture lies a subculture, an exception to every rule. Assimilate or accommodate. Habits are developed as coping mechanisms for survial in climates and past experiences. New generations should learn from the past and create better opportunities.

What we are experiencing is just the opposite. Parents do not want to parent. I think this is a parenting issue, and race isn’t a factor. Also policies come into play, and parents use them as an excuse and crutch for not doing their job. There is no job description or certificate to become a parent. Some of them truly don’t know what to do. If a rule says Sp. Ed. children can’t be suspended, a parent will know that he/she does not have to deal with the consequences of their child’s negative behavior. So we are teaching learned helplessness.

Been There and readingrules12 like this.
  9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 2, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  10. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

May 6, 2018

I would talk to admin to see if this warrants a call for CPS. It's neglect and who knows how worse it is at home.

11. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

May 9, 2018

Clarification--In the original post, I referred to the student's "home language". Someone asked what the language was, and I replied. It was never meant to be turned into an ethnic discussion. We have over 30 ethnic groups represented at our school, and we see all types of behaviors and discipline (or lack thereof) from all of them. This was more about hoping that the lack of consequences with this particular student (not withholding a toy, a TV show, a privilege, nothing!) is not the prevalent attitude all over.

Backroads likes this.
  12. Kindergally

Kindergally Rookie

May 9, 2018

I actually am half white, half Hispanic. I spent the majority of my life in a gang ridden "Hispanic" community in Baltimore City before relocating to the county suburbs with white people. I don't need a lesson in what it means to discriminate against something. I've lived with it all my life. And yes, because I am half white and half Hispanic, I do feel like I can freely talk about both cultures. Thank you for you opinion though.

13. Been There

Been There Habitué

May 9, 2018

Your quite welcome! It's heartwarming to hear that you feel like you can freely talk about the melting pot that is our American culture. BTW, we have something in common. I too grew up in an ethnic ghetto - one which gained national notoriety over 40 years ago when gang violence spilled into a local restaurant leaving five dead. I also know what it's like to experience lifelong discrimination - no fun at all.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  14. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

May 19, 2018

omg! that's such a nice, succinct way of describing the problem! You know, when I tell people that I quit schools and never going back after working for 9 years in Special education as a sub and substitute aide, people, whose mentalities are far from teaching start nodding saying: "yes, yes, I can imagine how hard it is to work with children that have special needs" NO!!! this is the easy part! (I want to shout at them!) it's not the children, it's the knowledge of what's happening in their homes, that's been driving me crazy the last 2 years before I quit.

So, for the last 2 years of my school career I worked with a high functioning autistic boy. I learned that he has an older brother, also on the spectrum. Their mom, who didn't like to come to school for things like parent-teacher conference, etc. she believed in GRADES. That's all she believed in. She made it clear to both of her kids as well as the teachers that she expects her kids to get good grades.

ehhhh, I refused to believe that at first. I couldn't I worked with this child, who was extremely bright, who was super social (not bad for a boy on an autism spectrum), who was extremely talented at art, but boy! wasn't he a mess in terms of Emotional health. Just one little example. Whenever things got frustrated and he had very low tolerance level, soooooo many things frustrated him, he would take a pencil and try to stab himself in the belly.

oh boy! I have worked previously in residences with mentally sick teenagers, adults, you name is. I went through a number of trainings, I know how serious it is. I would talk to him in a kind way, reassure him that things are ok, he doesn't need to get upset. I would basically divert him from upsetting thoughts and make him feel comfortable. Then I would go to his autistic support teacher and cry out for help.

You know what I was told? That he is attention-seeker, I should just ignore him.

I'm so glad I don't work in schools any more. I thought I would go mad myself after a year of that.
    (and that's one small example of hundreds that happened to me during the 9 years of work)

15. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

May 19, 2018

oh, and since there was a discussion of nationalities. that was a completely american family, white.

also, took place in an affluential area. Some smart aides who understood in school politics and worked for 20+ years in that district, enlightened me that in the area like this it is normal for the parents to "take over teacher's thinking". So, in a way, teachers reasoned and thought the way parents wanted them to think.

I would also like to know how widespread is this practice?

(admit, I'm a hopeless fool when it comes to school politics. So, I never even try to fathom things like that.)