I do, We do, You do teaching method

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by chrissy1214phx, Aug 17, 2013.

1. chrissy1214phx

chrissy1214phx Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

I am new to teaching and my district uses this methodology. Have you used this and can you briefly describe a whole group reading lesson or any lesson using this approach? I am still getting used to it and want to make sure I am doing it right

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2013

I don't really call it that, but I do this all the time. I think it's probably the most standard method of instruction across all of education. Teacher modeling (I do), guided practice (we do), independent practice (you do).

4. chrissy1214phx

chrissy1214phx Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

yes, I guess I am reading into it too much and it is the way we teach all the time..........

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2013

Yes, especially in math. I teach the concept and do the problem (students don´t help me). Then we do another problem together (students will help me and I will guide them), then they practice it at their seats (partners or independent).

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2013

Exactly!

7. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Aug 18, 2013

Yes, this method is more natural than it might seem and it's very likely you already do it. :) In math, I always will demonstrate and explain a new concept, then I have the students do it with me, then I let students work in small groups, then they have to work independently. The same applies in reading or any subject.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 18, 2013

For reading- I model a reading strategy 3 times as I read by doing a think aloud. Students try it by turning to their partners to talk about it as I listen in, then I discuss what I heard them saying. Students try to apply the strategy in independent reading time.

9. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Aug 18, 2013

For years in my district we were instructed to teach this way. However if you mentioned this teaching strategy now in an interview you probably wouldn't get hired.

We are moving towards a more inquiry based instruction model. I think it works well for math because it has the students THINK first before they just start copying down what the teacher does. I think the traditional direct instruction mode on its own l tends to encourage rote memorization and surface level understanding.

In fact it's almost kind of backwards: you do, we do, I do, you do. In other words, the students explore a concept on their own first, then we draw conclusions together as a group, THEN if needed I move to direct instruction (some students don't need it at that point and they are free to move on to independent practice). Even within direct instruction I always involve the students by asking them what they think I should do next, having them talk to their partner to explain why I did something, etc. I would say it is very VERY rare that I go through an entire problem step by step and have the students copy it down.

Anyways, I think with the implementation of common core we will be seeing less and less of the "I do, we do, you do" teaching strategy.

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2013

That's never how I interpreted the modeling part of the lesson to go. I disagree that you wouldn't get hired if you referred to this.

11. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 18, 2013

Cognitively Guided Instruction

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...415&rh=i:aps,k:cognitively guided instruction

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2013

In a recent in-service we were told that the I do part was more of introducing the objective of the lesson or necessary background knowledge. The We do is more students working together to try problems or tasks together and discussing their ideas and attempts.

13. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Aug 18, 2013

I was referring to the specific model of direct instruction (I do, We do, You do) that says: Teacher does the problem step by step without student input. Teacher gives students another problem and then helps them work through it. Students work on their own. There are many math teachers, especially at the high school level, that still teach this way.

In regards to not being hired, I was referring to my own district, where it would definitely count against you if you described a lesson as I did above.

14. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Aug 18, 2013

15. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2013

Right, but when I model something I don't simply solve the problem and have the students copy it down.

16. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Aug 18, 2013

Yes I know, but some people do, which was my point.
    Sorry for the confusion :)