I do this to myself every Sunday....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Lindsay.Lou, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Sep 21, 2008

So I'm a first year teacher. I start every weekend with unrealistic goals for myself of "getting ahead" in my lesson planning, cleaning my entire house, planning meals for the week, and organizing my life in general.

Then, Sunday afternoon (not for lack of effort) I haven't completed 50% of what I wanted to. I feel depressed every Sunday night because I still feel "behind."

3. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2008

Welcome to your first year!!!:)
    First what you need to do is to stop making unrealistic goals. Write up your goals and then cut it in half! Chose only those that have to get done--lesson plans for the next week--and a load or two of laundry. A clean house is nice, but just do a bit a day, not the whole thing at once.
    Just pick one or two things to do--give yourself time to unwind and enjoy life. Remember, all work and no play makes Jane a dull girl....

Then, if you have cut your goals , you'll probably accomplish them and you won't feel like a failure come Monday!
    Life is too short to always be trying to catch up...:p

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2008

Ugh- I know what you mean! I always do the same thing and this isn't my first year. What has helped me has been literally writing a list of things I want to accomplish but not just for the weekend. I cross things off throughout the week as I accomplish them and if starts to feel really good to do that. I know, this is not a new concept but it might help a bit. You also have to be nice to yourself -- your first year is tough. Don't beat yourself up!!!!

5. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Sep 21, 2008

I'm in my 12th year of teaching and I feel the same way. I hate using my weekend to clean and do school things. Sometimes it is just nice to relax and do nothing!

6. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Sep 21, 2008

I completely understand. I find myself on here and not getting anything at all done becaue I am so overwhelmed, but I do it to myself

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 21, 2008

I have started setting aside 1 thing to clean each day of the week. It sure has helped my Sunday's become less stressful. On Monday's I dust. On Tuesday I go through all of my junk on the counters. On Wednesday I sweep/vacuum. On Thursday I do the bathroom. I don't do anything on Friday. On Saturday I mop and I do laundry on Sundays.

8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2008

Yeah, we all do that. Think "deferred maintenance" - you can always catch up over the winter break! :p

9. becky

becky Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2008

You need to take a day just to relax- physically and mentally. I'm like you, Lindsay, I try to cram a bunch of stuff in on the weekends, but then where's my break?? I'm a homeschool mom, so I've got to keep track of all subjects, including two specials. I look forward to a day free from planning, reading ahead, and anything else school related.

10. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Sep 21, 2008

it's great to hear that i'm not the only one cleaning and catching up on the weekends. here's the thing that drives me nuts...

my husband is off work on thursdays and fridays. he goes bike riding, hangs out with friends etc on his days off. do you think he could vacuum or mop the floor or empty the dishwasher? DRIVES ME BONKERS!!! then on MY days off, i'm cleaning the house AND working (luckily he's at work and doesn't hear me griping about it). don't get me wrong...there are some days that he works in the yard. but honestly, how often does the garden need to be weeded or the yard mowed? sheesh.

ok...i'm done. :) good luck.
    LC

11. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Sep 21, 2008

Luckily, my husband does his share of the housework (sometimes more than his share, since he's home more than I am).

I do spend a fair amount of time on the weekends cleaning, running errands, and doing homework. I try not to do anything for work over the weekend (except I will go in and work in my office usually one Saturday a month).

What I do to myself every Sunday is sleep in too late, and then I can't get to bed & I'm tired on Mondays. I usually sleep really well Monday nights.