I didn’t resign. Now I’m feeling worse than ever. Please advise?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by LittleShakespeare, Nov 12, 2018.

1. LittleShakespeare

LittleShakespeare Comrade

Nov 12, 2018

Hi, everybody.

I hope you’ve all been doing well. I’m sorry I haven’t posted in a long time. I’ve been battling some serious issues both at work and home.

I was set to put in my resignation letter in September, but I told myself I should stay. I’m not working with that awful co-teacher anymore, but I am severely unhappy.

The VP at our school is known as an awful, tyrannical administrator. She purposely fails people during their observations because she has this hunger for power. Every year, she tries to find a target, and it is well known throughout the entire English Department that I am that target this year.
    I got a 2.56 on my observation, and many of the things she “saw” were just holes that she was trying to find. It’s okay, I’m not at all concerned about it. Honestly, I couldn’t care less because I am so over this school.

I’m awake right now at 2:30 AM. I don’t have school on Monday for Veteran’s Day, but I want to make a decision. I don’t think I’ve ever been this unhappy. Every single day is a struggle to get out of bed. I am dealing with violent, aggressive students (3 in one class), and when I ask admin for help, they ignore me. The VP actually took me aside after I wrote up a kid for flipping his desk over, cursing me out, and storming out of my classroom. She said to me, “You don’t really understand our kids.” There was no punishment for him, except when he assaulted another kid. Then he was arrested.

I have a master’s degree in humanities. I’m actually submitting my PhD applications for the Fall 2019 application cycle. I even went to the career center at my college to ask for help. I don’t think I want to teach high school anymore. Maybe I’m at the wrong school, or maybe it’s just gotten to me. I can’t go to work in the morning without having a panic attack. (Yes, this is with the new, stronger medication and two days of therapy a week).

I was thinking of putting in my resignation letter on November 15th. My last day of work will be January 15th. According to my contract, I have to give 60-days notice. I have a new job that starts on January 18th, and it’s for teaching community college.

1. Yes, I know the pay sucks.
    2. Yes, I know it’s still teaching, but at least it’s not at this high school.

I even have the ability to work at an office during the day, so I will be able to support myself.

I hate that I’m adding to the statistic of teachers leaving the profession, but I cry as I write this. I can’t even think about staying till June. When I do, my heart starts racing and I freak out.

Please advise me? I don’t want sympathy and I don’t want cruelty. I know I’m a failure, so please spare me the spiel on how I’m an awful teacher and how nobler some other people can be. I just want to know if it’s wrong to leave my kids mid-year.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 12, 2018

It is not wrong to leave your kids mid year. If you are in an untenable situation, you need to do what is best for you. Good luck.

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2018

It's not wrong to put your mental health first. Your students will have an opportunity to learn from another teacher and you will find peace and less stress. Take care of you.

5. rpan

rpan Cohort

Nov 12, 2018

It’s your responsibility to put you first, no one else will if you don’t. I think you should resign sooner, end the 60 days of hell sooner and have a nice short break before you start your new job! There’s no judging here, teaching is hard at the best of times let alone the worst of times.
    I’m glad you have made the decision to leave. Perhaps the college audience will share your passion for literature as they have chosen to be there.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2018

You need to make yourself the top priority. Put in your resignation as soon as possible.

7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Nov 12, 2018

Put in your resignation letter as originally planned. Your mental health and physical wellbeing are more important.

To be frank, I keep getting mixed messages from you. You say you are miserable at your current school and that you have unsupportive admin and that you dread going to work there, so why are you staying? Then, you backpedal and say that you are unsure about staying. It honestly makes no sense to me.

LittleShakespeare likes this.
  8. LittleShakespeare

Nov 12, 2018

I guess I just feel so guilty about leaving. I didn’t stay because I love the job. If anything, I stayed because I felt like I wanted to ride it out, but I’m not sure if I can do it anymore.

9. futuremathsprof

Nov 12, 2018

Why should you feel guilty when you’ve done everything you can while another teacher and your admin have been very hostile and/or unprofessional to you?

Your talents are best spent elsewhere where you are happy AND you are appreciated. I am devoted to my students and colleagues and school because of the involved parents and community members, the inviting atmosphere, the fact that I am valued as an employee, and because I am compensated very well. My admin listen to me and here my concerns. Case in point, I recently asked my admin for another raise (10k) and didn’t expect one since I asked for one last year. To my surprise, their response was that they will strongly consider it and will get back to me soon. That’s the kind of place you want to be in, NOT the toxic environment that you have to work in now.

Seriously, you owe it to yourself. Do you really want to stay miserable for the rest of your career there?

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 12, 2018

Do not feel guilty. Face the fact that this is not the right setting for you and move on. You deserve to be appreciated and valued for your skills and hard work. Leave and don't look back. I wish that more teachers would face reality and not give up their own sanity for the sake of the schools that don't deserve them.

11. LittleShakespeare

Nov 13, 2018

Hey, everyone.

I am so sorry for my meltdown. I'm reading my post now, and I'm so ashamed of myself. I hope you'll forgive me. I've been causing such a disturbance at home too. My family has been so scared of me. I'm lashing out, freaking out, breaking down crying, etc. It's a nightmare.

I went to work today like a soldier. It took every ounce of strength to get out of bed, but I did it. The whole commute, I was crying.

I had a wonderful day with the kids. My violent kid got suspended, so he's out of my class for a whole week. However, the VP had a bone to pick with me today simply because I didn't write up another kid every single day for causing a disturbance in class. Ridiculous stuff. She LOVES to find holes in everything.

Right now, I'm twirling the resignation letter in my hand. You know what's killing me?

1. The money aspect: I am applying to some office jobs that have 401K, health benefits, and good salaries. This will help supplement my adjunct teaching position. I'm just scared because I don't have this secured yet. The office job that I initially wanted to go back to is just part-time. He just told me today.

2. The kids: I have so many kids that make me dread my job, especially at this urban school. But then I think of the sweet kids who actually work hard and make my day. It's going to be so hard leaving them.

But I can't deal with this administration anymore. Maybe I need to pray on this? The thought of staying till June is killing me. My 29th birthday is in June, and I'm so unhappy. I'm wasting my 28th year crying myself to sleep every day. Even when I get home, my time for peace, I'm miserable. My family is so afraid of me right now.

12. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Nov 13, 2018

If it makes you unhappy then you should leave. Forget the kids! Sadly, most of them will become products of their environment. Do what's best for you! The good children will be ok but are you equipped emotionally to give them good teaching and learning experience? No. So leave and never look back. I was in the same situation last year and I happy that I moved on with life.

13. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Nov 13, 2018

First, thanks for reaching out. I certainly understand that you don't want to give up on your contract. It shows me that you value your word.
    Consider this: a contract is designed to give either party a way out if things that are unforeseen arise to make the situation untenable for either one. It is clear that the situation is not the right fit, so use the out clause in the contract without guilt. Both of you knew going in that the possibility existed that one of you could pull out within certain parameters. By resigning,giving the 60 day notice, you are keeping your word. Just quitting tomorrow-not keeping your word. Resignation letter on the 15th--keeping your word. Just a thought. :)

14. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Nov 17, 2018

A few years ago I left a teaching job after Thanksgiving. It sounds like it was very similar to the environment you're in in some ways. I also felt bad about leaving many of the kids and my co-workers mid-year. It was 100% worth it though. I landed in a much better fit and I immediately felt so much happier and healthier. I don't think I'd even entirely realized how much that job was really affecting me until I left it. If your family is worried for you, I think it's probably past time for you to make the change.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  15. futuremathsprof

Nov 22, 2018

For the nth time, please just resign. Your mental health and family life are more important...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  16. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 25, 2018

I think you just need to believe in yourself more. What I mean is that make a decision and just do it. Trust yourself. You've been going back and forth for a very long time about staying, going, resigning, not resigning. It;s exhausting for us to see, I can only imagine how hard it must be for you.
    You need to think logically and trust your instincts, make a decision and stick to it. Just because you have a good week, or a good few days (because one kid is not in your class) does not mean things have improved.

Last year I have had enough with the kids, the horrible admin (he made everything horrible, including the kids) and one night a 2 am I made a decision to move to independent study.
    I thought about it for 2 days and felt logically and emotionally it was the best decision.
    I never thought I would give up classroom teaching for a teaching position that would involve 75 % paperwork (paperwork and grading) and working with students one on one.

I'm glad things worked out nd I was able to transfer because I love it. We're actually on the same campus so I get to see my old students who now love me and miss me and tell me every day (of course, I'm no longer making them do work or telling them to be quiet lol) and I get reach more students one-on-one than I have on the past. I can build relationships and I already know I've made major differences in at least a few students' lives.
    No stress, I leave work and whatever didn't get done works for me until the next day.

So just do it !!!!

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 25, 2018

How on earth does your VP have so much power? Perhaps s/he is unhappy and wants to make others' lives unhappy, too.

It's my job as an administrator is to lift people up--not tear them down.

18. futuremathsprof

Nov 25, 2018

YTG, you’re awesome. I just wanted to let you know that. If I ever switch schools, I’d want you as as a P or VP. :D

19. akconnel

akconnel Rookie

Nov 28, 2018

I know you posted this a couple weeks ago, but having just resigned and feeling WONDERFUL about it, I wanted to chime in. See my post on my own resignation.

First, if you resign the kids will be FINE. There is no substantial difference between you resigning and a teacher going on maternity leave the rest of the year, which happens a lot.

Second, no matter how nice your administrators may be, you are a PERSONNEL UNIT to them. Nothing more. I know it sounds harsh but it's reality. It doesn't mean the administrators are bad people. It's just the nature of the business. Do you think they'd hesitate to get rid of YOU mid year if it wasn't working out for them? Not if they could help it.

Also, leaving mid-year does not define you. It is a situation in life that will be added to the pile of other experiences that you have.

20. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Nov 28, 2018

One thing I'll add, just based on my experience. When I was job-hunting during the school year, looking for a way out of a previous situation, I was really worried that schools were going to ask me why I was leaving a job mid-year, that they would look on it poorly. I worked up all kinds of answers in my head. Not a single person asked. That might be unusual, I don't know, but they needed a teacher, they liked me, that was all that cared about. So don't let that worry you either if it is by any chance.

21. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Nov 29, 2018

My school made the state headline news 3 times this year already so yeah, when I put in my resignation letter this Monday and gave them 5 weeks notice, they asked if I know the consequences blah blah blah and I was like, "yes, and I am leaving the state and will not be a teacher for at least 3 decades."

22. akconnel

akconnel Rookie

Nov 29, 2018

OMG I love your reply!!! Good for you! I was lucky my principal was very understanding when I resigned, but even if she wasn’t I wasn’t going to change my mind or look back.

23. MathGuy31

MathGuy31 Rookie

Dec 1, 2018

Yes, I know you are a good teacher but some schools are extremely toxic and this isn't your fault! I hope the best for you and sorry you had to deal with all of this!

24. LittleShakespeare

Dec 10, 2018

Hi, everybody.

Happy Holidays. :heart:

Today is the big day. I have my resignation letter ready. I'm going to hand it in by tomorrow, at the latest. That way, 2 months from now, I'll be done with this school.

I know I'm an indecisive mess, but the last time we talked, and after a long talk with myself (weird, I know), I told myself that I'm not a quitter and that I can make it to June. I'm sorry. I'm weak. But I had another breakdown this weekend. My mom is ill, and my anxiety has been insurmountable. I think it resulted from a field trip we took on Monday.

We were supposed to take our best ninth graders (5 from each teacher) to the local theater to watch "Romeo and Juliet." Some teachers sent their worst students. These are students that have been arrested before. I was so excited for the trip, simply because I'm in love with Shakespeare. You can tell from my profile picture! :) All morning, my enthusiasm for the trip was met with hard stares and anger. My co-teacher was such a grouch that she wanted to cancel the trip altogether. By the way, we walked into the theater missing the first half of the play. The school nurse "forgot" to medically clear all the students, even when she was told about this trip two weeks ago. We stumbled into the theater in Act 3.

But what happened inside the theater is what broke my spirit. Aside from the students screaming, throwing things, yelling loudly, making inappropriate comments about Romeo and Juliet's wedding night, fake snoring, and having the security guards yell at our school and tell us to control our students, there was one student who made me cry during the performance. During intermission, he was wrestling with his friend, and I asked them to stop. They looked at me and pretended not to notice. I didn't know his name, but I tapped him on the shoulder. He looked at me straight in the eye and said, "Don't f*cking touch me. I can have the school fire you." This same student was yelling loudly after the performance ended and we were waiting to line up for the bus: "Are we going to stand here all day??"

Not only that, but there was an English teacher who resigned. And guess what? Instead of hiring a new teacher, they split her classes among three English teachers! I'm one of them. I have 30 kids in one class, 5 of which need IEP's. There's one student who is severely disruptive, up to the point where I need to have security remove him from our class on a daily basis. And when I write him up or contact his guidance counselor to see if he needs in-class support, I'm to blame: "You know, he doesn't act like that in any of his other classes. I wonder what may be the problem in your class."

Anyway, my rant is over, but here's the tea.

When I got in touch with the community college that I plan to start working at, they told me there were no night classes available to teach. I took night classes simply to accommodate my high school job. However, I am going to call in and see if they have any day classes available. I'm also going to work like a dog until I find an office job or something else to support myself.

My mom and I talked this weekend. I think it's time for me to go. I know it's going to be a struggle, but I qualified for free health insurance through my state. I know I'm going to be financially unstable for a while, but I feel like I can't cry myself to sleep every night.

But I don't know why I'm scared of leaving. Is it because of the kids I actually love? Or is it because of the money? Is it because I'm downgrading, not being a bad-ass teacher in an urban school anymore?

I'm on my prep right now, and I'm kind of freaking myself out. Please give me some words of wisdom, you guys. I am so grateful for you, and I promise this will be my last post about this topic.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  25. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2018

You are doing the right thing.

26. LittleShakespeare

Dec 10, 2018

I just got off the phone with the community college. All the classes are taken. Now I don't even have the community college job lined up, at least for the spring. :(

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2018

Does this mean you have no classes? I thought that you had already been hired? Regardless, I think that you need to hand in your letter of resignation.

28. LittleShakespeare

Dec 10, 2018

I'm still an adjunct professor there, but when I got hired in September, I posted my availability as only night classes. So, there weren't any available. But now, for spring, there aren't any classes available either, only because I also asked for night classes to accommodate my day teaching job.

I know this sounds awful, but as I'm sitting here in class, as my kids are writing their essays, I think I should just stay. I'm scared that the debt and my financial issues are going to hurt me even more in the next few months.

29. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 10, 2018

I believe my previous comment was taken the wrong way because it was reported.

After what you explained at the field trip, I am surprised that you would change your mind and not resign given that you could do other jobs to make money.

30. LittleShakespeare

Dec 10, 2018

I know, you're right. To be honest, I'm trying to apply to some bank jobs. I have an interview tomorrow, but I'm freaking out about taking a sick day or personal day. I'm not allowed to take a personal day since I have to get it approved at least five days in advance. I also took a sick day last week because of a mental breakdown.

My family keeps telling me to wait until I have something lined up, but the longer I wait, the longer it's going to take to resign. It takes 60 days.

31. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2018

I'm going to give you the advice that I would give one of my children if they were in your position: for the sake of your mental health, you need to leave your current job as soon as you can. Hand in your resignation tomorrow if you didn't today. Once you have handed in that letter, make a job hunt your second job. Even if you can't find your dream job, or even a "career" job, I'm sure you can find something that will pay the bills while you continue your search.

32. LittleShakespeare

Dec 10, 2018

Are you sure this isn't career suicide? :(

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 10, 2018

It's career suicide only if you still mean for K-12 education to be your career. I believe MrsC is reasoning, from the ample evidence you keep giving to that effect, that you don't.

34. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 10, 2018

I thought your resignation letter which means you terminate in 60 days keeps you from having your license removed. So, how is resigning career suicide? You were told to make looking for your next job your second job. That implies that you continue to work per your contract stipulation of giving 60 days notice.

35. LittleShakespeare

Dec 10, 2018

Oh no, you’re right. I just mean resigning mid-year. But I’ll come up with an answer. I just need time to sleep.

36. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Dec 10, 2018

It does not have to be career suicide. From what you are saying, you have adequate medical grounds for resigning. If you must go sooner than the 60 days, get your doctor involved and go. I agree with MrsC in that I would never encourage a child of mine to stay in a job that is having a big negative impact on their health. Health trumps everything! Get out of this position and, at least temporarily, pick up another job until you decide what is best for you. Good luck!

37. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Dec 10, 2018

Get out. You'll feel 100% better despite the difference in income from teaching to something more temporary. I'm not saying you won't feel it, but I'm sure you'll find that having to stretch your budget is preferable to being so stressed and worried day and night. It won't be career suicide as long as you give your 60 days notice, but really, do that as soon as possible. I was in a somewhat similar situation, and I can't even tell you how much better I felt the second I handed over my resignation. No job is worth your mental health.

38. LittleShakespeare

Dec 10, 2018

You guys, I just want to tell you something.

Since it’s the holiday season, I’m trying so hard to remain humble and grateful, even in my struggles. I am so lucky I have you. I know we’re just colleagues on the internet, but I can’t begin to tell you how much your words and support have comforted me.

I have been such a monster. This past summer, I was going crazy with my medication withdrawal. I was having breakdowns as we got closer to September. I thought I could ride it out, and I hate myself for saying this, but I’ve never felt so exhausted. Now, I’m in so much pain. I’ve been causing my family so much heartache. They are so worried about me; I’ve been lashing out and becoming a monster. Sometimes, I wish they could see what I’ve been going through at this school, the way the administration treats me, the way the English teachers are all laughing and secretly hoping I fail. Do you know what one of them said to me today? “Well, SOMEBODY’s gotta be the sacrificial lamb this year!”

I’m lying in bed now, and I’m so exhausted. I’ve cried enough tears today to fill up our underground swimming pool in the backyard. I did no work when I got home. I literally just turned on Family Guy, had Taco Bell, and did some binge shopping at Barnes and Noble’s website. There was a coupon, so I couldn’t resist. :)

You guys, I really do love you all, from my heart. You seem to be the only ones who understand my pain. Teaching is such a difficult profession, but it’s even more complicated when you don’t have the resources or when you’re in a poisonous environment. Thank you so much for everything.

Please pray for me. I hope I’ll someday be able to teach again. I love being “Miss G.” There is nothing more wonderful than bringing joy to students. And I hope I’ll be able to do it again. Please pray for me, you guys. I want to find my right fit. I just want to be with my books for the rest of my life.

39. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2018

Just my opinion, it certainly seems that teaching is not your forte. You seem to be getting worse emotionally the longer you stay.
    Have you looked into theatre jobs, opening a book store, working in a library, play writing...anything that let's you use your love of books to earn a living?
    Can you live at home while your income is reduced?
    I think, if you were in my family, I would ask you to give up the teaching job today and not worry about your license, but move on to a different type of job that uses your skills to better yourself.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  40. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 11, 2018

It's career suicide to take too many mental health days. It seems like you can't mentally handle this job so it's really a no brainer.

41. LittleShakespeare

Dec 11, 2018

I actually thing you’re wrong. I think I’m a wonderful teacher. My kids adore me, and I adore the subject matter. I’m in the wrong environment, and I have a mental illness. That doesn’t mean I’m not meant to be a teacher.