I cried in front of my class...please help!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hopetoteach, Jan 5, 2012.

1. hopetoteach

hopetoteach Rookie

Jan 5, 2012

I feel like such a loser. I am a 7th grade math teacher in a very high needs school. My 4th period class is a nightmare (actually is was ok until a major behavior student transferred into the class just before break..he sets off the other two that I have to work so hard to keep under control).

Before class, one of them threw his backpack into the hoop outside my portable and got it stuck which caused a big distraction at the beginning of class (all the kids were outside watching him and the two others try to get it down).

The class just did not go well after that. The new behavior issue kid refused to leave (he is suppose to get three warnings and then off to the resource room) and a number of other things happened.

I was feeling really badly for the other kids in the class who were trying to learn and had to put up with all this distraction. So I started to thank them for their patience and my voice choked up. They could all tell I was upset.

I didn't start really crying (with tears) until the three big problem boys tried to stay after and talk to me. I think they were going to apologize but I just told them I would talk to them tomorrow.

Anyway, has this ever happened to anyone else? I feel like a loser. I am a third year teacher but new to this school and to junior high. I don't want my principal to think I can't handle this but I worry about this getting back to him. He's a great guy so maybe he will understand. Also thinking about going to the Assistant Principal (a woman) and telling her so the story doesn't get exagerated. Or maybe I'll just chat with my building union rep and get her opinion.

It's a tough crowd and i know i can handle it but i just had a weak moment.

Thanks

3. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jan 5, 2012

I don't think you're going to get in trouble for crying. :) Have you asked your colleagues for classroom management tips for this particular group?

4. jessiiteach

jessiiteach Companion

Jan 5, 2012

Maybe they will be better behaved now that they know they have made you cry.

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 5, 2012

I can't imagine you'd get in trouble for being emotional in front of your class. It might still be a good idea to talk to someone about it and see if they have any suggestions.

Last year in the fall I had a rather challenging class for one period (I was high school then) and although I did not cry in front of them, I did cry to my assistant principal when I went to talk to him about a particularly disrespectful thing that had happened in the class. He certainly didn't think any less of me because of it.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 5, 2012

You will be fine. I have taught in similar environments, and there is a small chance that these boys will try to get to you again. Just keep doing what you do.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2012

I have been teaching for ten years, and before the break my overcrowded low-level class frustrated me to the point of tears. I went to the phone, called a fellow teacher who was on her prep to take over for a few minutes, went to our staff room, and pulled myself together. Then I wrote three referrals, took them to the office, went back to class and picked up where I left off. I wouldn't let any of them speak to me. They've been moderately better since then.

It happens to the best of us.

8. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jan 5, 2012

I cried in front of my students last year. I teach 3rd grade. My P decided to reprimand me about a piece of data I didn't have in front of a parent. I was humiliated. I returned to class and lost it. Someone saw me and quickly took over my class for me as I took a 15 minute "breathe-break." My kids were overly concerned with me when I returned and I fed them the I'm-having-problems-with-my-allergies story. I don't think they bought it but I left it at that. I never brought it up again and neither did they.

9. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jan 5, 2012

My Mom has always told me a story about one of her high school teachers. This teacher taught girl's high school PE and apparently the whole class was terrible for her and even made fun of her. One day the teacher broke down into tears. The kids felt so bad that they never acted that way again and she became their favorite teacher. The class ended up becoming quite close to her.

10. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jan 5, 2012

I remember one of my college professors cried in front of us because we were being too chatty :huh:

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 5, 2012

You are human, not a robot. You have emotions, and when pushed to the edge, you feel strongly. If anything, I would think an admin would see that you truly care about the wellbeing of your class. There are days I want to lose it with my problem 8th graders. Today was one of them. But you just have to pick yourself up and move on.

12. hopetoteach

hopetoteach Rookie

Jan 5, 2012

Thank you all SO much! Your words are so helpful. I did have a quick chat with my Principal and he was very supportive. I am going to have the two major offenders stay out of class tomorrow (they will go the resource room and the Vice Principals office and work on math). I think the rest of my class will appreciate that they did not get away with their behavior today.

Thanks again!

13. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jan 5, 2012

The fact that you cried shows children that you care and that you are human. This is never a bad thing.

The fact that they were coming in to apologize is a very good thing. It shows that they respect what you are trying to do, realized their actions were wrong and that they were contrite. Rather unusual with 7th grade boys.

One thing that I think may help you is to understand that you will encounter some very challenging children where you work, and that their actions are not a reflection on you or your teaching abilities.

Another thing that may help is to understand that while the other children may want to learn, they will encounter many of these challenging children in their classes throughout their school career. This is a reality for inner-city children.

If a child goes out of control in my room, I tell the other children quite frankly that they will encounter this often, but that they must keep their focus so that they can succeed in life. I let them know that I expect them to keep their control, and to maintain their focus as soon as I am able to teach again.

I don't feel badly for them, because I know that while this is tough and unfair that they have to be subjected to it, this is something they have to learn to deal with. The earlier they learn to deal with these distractions, the better off they will be in their academic careers.

It's also okay to feel that you are struggling to handle a situation, and to ask for help. You are working in a tough school. You are lucky to have a good principal.

Good luck.

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 5, 2012

:hugs:

I didn't lose it in front of my class, but I totally lost it on my AP over prep. I very calmly requested an emergency meeting with her regarding "the well-being of my students" and she was like "Sure!" So we sat down and I totally burst into tears and had mouth diarrhea about my crazy kids. :blush: They had put all of the massive behavior issues in my one class. Not talkers or unmotivated kids....CRAZY stuff. Like stealing, fighting, cussing me out...too much. She ended up transferring one kid to a different room and it's made a WORLD of difference. Sometimes there are just too many instigators in one room!

When I came back from my sob fest my kids were like "Ms. X...you been crying?" I was like "NO! Allergies..." :rolleyes:

I don't regret asking for help. If your colleagues are going to chastise you for wanting to be a better educator then maybe that's not the school for you long term. :whistle: