I cried after school today...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Sep 28, 2011.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 28, 2011

It was that kind of day. Everything fell apart the last hour. OMG. I just walked back to my room and tried to fight it and then wtf, going for it. I felt better. It can get so frustrating sometimes. I wrote down all the things that went wrong just in case there is any feedback about it. I do a combo 4/5 and the boys are just so immature it is making me a little nutty sometimes. I need a teacher's prayer to post where I can read it when I need to. It's going to be a long year. But we'll make the most of it.

3. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Sep 28, 2011

Proud to say I never cried
    even on my darkest days
    and there were many
    so many I could not see the light..

4. Ethel989

Ethel989 Rookie

Sep 28, 2011

I cried after school at least twice a week last year during September (it was my first year)! Sometimes you just need that release, and start of school especially as a new teacher is crazy. No shame in that game.
    Just so you know, it's my 2nd year and I haven't even been close to crying once. It gets better, it really does. People kept telling me that last year, but now I finally understand!

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2011

Teaching a combo class is NOT easy.

Do you have a good teacher that you work with to talk to? Maybe they can give you some pointers, or nothing else, a shoulder to cry on, or just a listening ear? While it was nice to come on here to vent, sometimes talking to a coworker really helped.

6. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 28, 2011

Ethel, it is my second year also. But I have been in eduation doing reading programs for twelve years. Everything that I did last year that was right, this year is wrong. I can't figure it out, it seems.

7. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 28, 2011

We are a small school. I can talk to one but not the others. It is weirdness at times with the staff...

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 29, 2011

I can understand how difficult it is with 4/5 boys. I only have one GS to deal with, and I can barely make it.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2011

Not a Teacher's prayer per se, but one of my favorites:

Serenity Prayer

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The courage to change the things I can,
    And the Wisdom to know the difference.

Hang in there. Some days are just like that. A good cry can be absolutely theraputic.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2011

I've been there once this year--not about students, but about other "stuff". It happens, you'll move on.

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 29, 2011

ya know. . . crying isn't weakness, just emotional release :) Some people rage, some people mope, and some people just cry. I am a crier and proud of it :) I cry when I am happy, proud, sad, etc . . . don't feel bad about the cry, especially since you followed through writing down what you felt was necessary.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 29, 2011

So sorry heavens54. I can understand the frustrations at times. I started a thread once asking if anyone's ever cried at work. I guess I'll have to say 3x's (ea at different districts):

Once when I was a student teacher in the P's office due to frustration/overwhelming feelings.

2nd, when I was a brand new RSP (type of special ed) teacher (in front of the school psych). Her & the RSP teacher took me out to lunch to get a breather. I'm a brand new SLP now & I hope I never cry at work these days.

Lastly, in front of my director recently due to JOY that my hardwork/dedication was recognized, then she offered me my choice of jobs.

A good cry...preferrably at home, is good sometime.

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2011

I think writing down your thoughts was a good idea too.

Is there anything that we could help you with? Maybe share some of the things that is frustrating you? Since you don't really have anyone at work to talk to, maybe we can give you some ideas/opinions/tips?

14. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2011

Thanks so much. I did have one teacher that talked to me after and it did help. Just getting it out can mean a world of difference.

I "attacked" the situation. The students had to write a paragraph about how great trust and honesty makes you feel in their journals. Then I found out a little more about the facts. I had the offending students write an apology to the offended adult. We discussed the issue and trust and how important that is.

Overall, it turned out to be a wonderful day. Yesterday I felt like the students were against me, today I feel like we are a community of learners. Thank you all for helping me through the rough patch. Please stand by, there might be more...:lol:

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2011

Glad you had a better day, heavens...but it's ok to cry when you need to....it 'gets it all out';)

16. jlj

jlj Devotee

Oct 1, 2011

Nothing wrong with a good cry. God gave us emotions and ways to show/deal with them and crying when happy, sad, hurt, frustrated, whatever can be a healthy way of coping. Certainly not weakness, quite the opposite. You have heart.
    A wonderful friend and teacher told me years ago when I first started teaching, your first year is survival. Survive all the illnesses you pick up from your students, the feelings of inadequacy that overcomes at times, the self-doubts of "Should I really be teaching?" "How can I possibly fill the shoes of ____", and the list goes on..... Also remember to try not to take everything too personally.
    It sounds like you care deeply and passionately. Hang in there, you WILL survive!! All of your experiences good and bad will help shape the teacher you will be, good or not so good.
    God doesn't make mistakes. If you are where He lead you, then you're in the right place.
    Just repeat...."I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!"
    Have a blessed year! :love:

17. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 1, 2011

A good cry can be very healing. I know that I will occasionally cry-even at school-and I always feel so much better. I believe that crying is not a sign of weakness.

18. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Oct 1, 2011

Heavens--you are right, there will be more! That's the nature of what we do. There are really, really great days and really, really tough days. There is absolutely nothing wrong with crying!!!!!! It can relieve the stress and help you let go of things. You did that and had someone who helped you.

Glad the next day was better! It usually is after a really tough one.

19. SassyTeach

SassyTeach Rookie

Oct 1, 2011

No shame in a good cry - it can be very cathartic! Just don't stay down too long and remember to do things to take care of yourself too!

20. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2011

I agree. I wanted to fight it and decided to just go with it. I felt so much better afterwards. It was cleansing. I looked at what went wrong and the next day we made it right. Jlj, I like your saying. It will help me through the next rough patch. Thank you all for your support. It means a lot that I can come here and share the good, the bad and the ugly...