I could use some advice

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by iteachm123, Jun 7, 2013.

1. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jun 7, 2013

I interviewed for a first grade teaching position but didn't get the job. :( After the disappointment eased up, I did some reflecting and wished that I could answer the questions completely different... Two really important questions stand out to me and I'm sure I totally botched them. The first one was "If someone walked into your first grade classroom, what would that person see?" The second one was "Why do you want to be a first grade teacher?" These seem like easy questions but they weren't to me. There is another first grade opening in another school district so I applied but I REALLY don't want to make the same mistakes again. I need your advice, please. :thanks:

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 7, 2013

What did you answer the first time?

4. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jun 7, 2013

To be quite honest, I was very sick when I had my interview and my ADHD brain didn't allow my words to reflect what I wanted to say. I wasn't even sure how to answer the classroom question. I said something so stupid that I'd rather not say...guess I'm just embarrassed.

5. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jun 7, 2013

So how would you answer it now?

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2013

With the first question, I'd address both the physical environment and of course academic goings-on. Speak to the variety you'd offer in your classroom...that different goals require different activities, a time for cooperative learning and individual practice and so forth. Of course this is generic; you'd answer with specifics that would in fact apply to your classroom. Discuss any programs, techniques, or approaches you'd embrace.

7. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 8, 2013

These are pretty standard interview questions so I would practice with everyone you know until you have solid answers.

Good luck! And I'm sure it wasn't as bad as you think :)

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 8, 2013

Write out a hypothetical schedule for a day in your classroom. Put it in your portfolio and pull it out when you are asked that question (because you will always be asked that question!) and refer to it.

Only you can explain why you want to teach grade 1!