I could never be a principal

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, May 31, 2014.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 31, 2014

I spent 2 days this week participating in an interview team looking to hire a teacher for next year.

Almost all of the 10 candidates had ties to my school: their own kids go there, they went there, their mom worked there long ago, they student taught there, etc. The hardest part was that they were all really really good. I think it's pretty rare to interview 10 incredibly strong candidates. It was such a tough decision to make.

I'm happy with the person we hired, but my heart just hurts for the other women. They interviewed so well, and I would love to work with any one of them. One of them is currently a long term sub at my school. It's going to be tough seeing her around the building next week. I just can't imagine. :( I know I'll see many of these women in the future, and I may have some of their kids in my class next year.

I guess there really isn't a purpose to this post, but I just needed to get it out, and maybe some of you can relate.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 31, 2014

I can somewhat relate. I participated on one of our interview panels last year. There were about 4 or 5 out of 8 interviewees who I would have been happy to work with. I felt really bad for those other 3 or 4 who we didn't get the offer. I had wished I could call them up and tell them how great I thought they were and not to take it personally, but obviously I couldn't do that. One of them came back to our building a few times this year in another capacity, and it certainly was a little awkward seeing her and knowing that she would never know that she was our second choice and we would have been happy to have her, if only there were two positions available.

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 31, 2014

Why couldn't she know this? Why can't you tell other people they did a good job on their interview? I would think this sort of encouragement could be helpful.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 31, 2014

The interview committee isn't allowed to talk with a candidate regarding employment outside of the interview. Only HR can call and make the offer or let the candidate know that they did not get the job. This is probably because I work for a large district... Smaller districts may not have such policies. Now, if I knew any of the candidates outside of work, I'm sure I could share such information with them as a friend, but that wasn't the case for anyone we interviewed.

6. kab164

kab164 Companion

May 31, 2014

That is hard. When you mentioned the long term sub, I can relate. Both schools I have worked at have had excellent subs who work almost every day, neither of whom ever got a teaching job! Can you imagine? I realized when I was looking for a job (took me four years to find one) that doing a lot of subbing could hurt me. Doesn't make sense, but I did have 2 administrators tell me they don't like to hire good subs because they are hard to find! So instead of subbing, I worked on another endorsement to help me get a job. Sad but true.

7. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Jun 1, 2014

you could still tell them that they were very good in their interview and not to give up. the school chooses the best and maybe next time the panel will choose them. especially if they keep learning and getting more experience working with students.

people need that encouragement. especially if we want to keep good teachers.

8. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jun 4, 2014

I agree. I couldn't be principal with the process of hiring and firing; although the firing part I could probably do just fine--I have no qualms with speaking truth with tact.

We went through the same process. The interview process was difficult because we knew the candidates really well, and I also have had a their children. It's awkward at first, but it's the nature of the business. How lucky are you to have 10 candidates and were able to narrow down to one! We had it nailed down to 2--it was so hard! The principal finally made the tough decision for us.

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 8, 2014

I've never been on an interview panel (our school is a dictatorship, not a democracy I guess. :lol:) but I have been on the other end. It did give me peace of mind to know WHY I wasn't hired for the job (supposedly I was the 2nd candidate, but a teacher who'd been teacher of the month for our county interview after me, and the P just had to go with her because she had more experience).

For what it's worth, I'm sure they understand that at the end of the day, the decision was the P's and you all were just assisting and providing input. It's definitely disappointing, but when you DO find the right position, it's just that much sweeter.

I couldn't be a principal either. Too much stress

10. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 8, 2014

Honestly, I think the whole process is largely a dog/pony show. I think the best way is to do it simply, I really do. I think it creates hard feelings whether we want to think so or not. And I don't think it is necessary, especially if you already had someone (i.e. LTS) who was in the wings anyway.

I've been on that other end BTW. I've interviewed with a school committee and not been hired. Then I see these people at professional development things, and while I'm not standoffish or completely ignore them, I don't sit with them. And I do think to myself, "Oh, you all don't think I can teach. I'll prove you wrong" kind of thing. Sort of like a rival instead of a colleague. Because I believe in myself, like I'm sure all these candidates do. And I care about the field like these people I'm sure do. When you care and you have talent and someone basically turns you away, you take it as a slight.