I could go postal!

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by trulyblssd, Aug 14, 2006.

1. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Aug 14, 2006

It's bad enough that I am a "roving, roaming, wondering, vagabond" teacher (choose your school's choice word), I've dealt with that. I'm okay with it. I have totally gotten used to it, but ......... sometimes, because I have no home I feel like the other teachers look at me as less than. Today during class the teacher that owns the classroom that I was in was in the class while I was teaching. I don't like that, but I can deal with. I'm sure others have had to deal with that. It is, however, really distracting for the students.

Get this....the teacher, her cell phone rang. In the middle of my class. Could have been an accident, right? Well, she answered it. Then she left. Then she came back and started making phone calls in the middle of my class to parents. What the hell? I'm not sure who to talk to, because I don't want it to get back to her that I was the one that complained. Any advise? The kids could not pay attention, by the way.

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2006

that is rude of her, and a bad example for her kids. I would just politely tell her that it made you feel uncomfortable or whatever word you want to use when she answered the phone.... I would think any decent human being would understand that. If it continues, which I sure hope it doesn't then I would go over her head.

You are not "less than" anyone and don't ever feel that way. Hang in there.

4. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Aug 14, 2006

Even though it is her room I would politely inform her that when you are teaching in her room it is distracting not only to you but more importantly to your students to have her in the room, etc. Ask her how she would feel if a teacher was in her class while she was teaching making phone calls. Maybe that will get her to go somewhere else during that time without much of an issue. If she does not take well to your polite request then say something to someone else about it.

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2006

We have that situation in our school. We have no art or music room so those teachers come into the "regular" classroom to teach. From the classroom teacher's perspective, it is hard because you have so much you want to get done in the room. It is difficult to just clear out of there for 30 minutes. In our school, we have no teacher workroom or ANYWHERE you can go and sit or spread out papers a bit.

Our art teacher just tells my students to pretend I'm invisible, and I try very hard to act invisible, too. (Work very quietly and don't move around much.) Our music teacher asked me if I would leave. I admit, I was a little irritated, just because we have so little time without students and I had nowhere to go, but I did totally understand. It must be hard to not have your classroom and teach with someone else always in the room.

That teacher was VERY rude. You definitely should speak to her. I think most problems are solved much more simply if people just talk to each other!