I could be overreacting

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ALR1985, Sep 25, 2008.

1. ALR1985

ALR1985 New Member

Sep 25, 2008

I had a very long involved post written out but out of fear of having someone from my school see it, I decided to erase it...I'm sure there's another way to erase the post but I can't seem to find it. Thanks for all of your advice though, everyone!! The tips have made life easier.

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 25, 2008

ALR - you are absolutely not overreacting (welcome, by the way - you came to the right place). Could you imagine if we treated children in our classrooms that way - with that level of disrespect? It is absolutely not like that everywhere! Sometimes you have people bitter about their jobs - but I have never heard of that level of open animosity - to the general faculty no less.

I don't know that I have any sound advice for you - I would keep seeking support and possibly answers to your questions from the co-workers you can trust. I'm surprised parents haven't picked up on this. Anyway, just keep trying to stay positive and think about the difference you are making in the lives of the kids. I would have a calendar counting down the days until May and you could find another job. Hang in there.

4. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Sep 25, 2008

You are not overreacting,Your school sounds like a horrible place to work at. The AP is probably angry at the principal and takes it out on the staff. I would try to avoid her whenever possible.The tremendous turnover in teachers tells you how bad the atmosphere is. The best part seems to be the help you receive from your fellow teachers. They are the ones I would go to for support,while I look for a new school with a better teaching environment.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 25, 2008

Do you have a contract, or a union?

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2008

Wow!!! That is awful. I am so sorry that your admin is making your school such a negative place. I feel it to some extent at my school, but typically know they have my back. UGH!!! I agree-- if you guys are part of a union, it's time to alert them ifthey haven't already been.:(

7. ALR1985

ALR1985 New Member

Sep 25, 2008

Thank you guys for your support! I am a member of the union but what do I say to them? I'm not one to make waves, usually I just bite my lip and suck it up. I really have considered going to them but am afraid that it would come out like I was a 10 year old accusing them of picking on me. I mean unless there is a legitimate injustice could they really help? Yes, they take away 10 minutes of planning time each week but they "compensate" by giving me 40 minutes of comp. time every month to go home early when the kids leave..... which I will never use.

8. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Sep 25, 2008

The Union usually won't do anything right away - typically they can offer you a lot of great advice. They can also help you understand your contract and your responsibilities and suggest positive ways to deal with the issues you are having at school. Personally I would contact them to ask for advice.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 25, 2008

The first step in any issue is to document everything. Save all those nasty emails, note the date and time of loudspeaker announcements which are embarassing or contributing to the low morale, document responses to questions and concerns, etc. The union can give you great advise on how to get through the year with your reputation and ability to get a better job still intact.

You are not overreacting at all. It sounds like you're living everybody's worst nightmare. Stay strong, count the days until may, and get the heck out of there.

10. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Sep 25, 2008

You must be at my old school. LOL In all seriousness I know how you feel. Everything you described my first year of teaching. I was actually griped out because my curriculm guide wasn't where my P would have had it. Are you kidding me?! It was stupid stuff like that all the time. I lost 25 pounds in 3 months and got an ulcer. It just wasn't worth it. Honestly the best thing that I ever did was leave. I am at a wonderful school now. Teaching is actually enjoyable.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 26, 2008

Your AP sounds like an old P I had several years ago... one day she's says hi, the next day she sees right through you like you are glass.

As for what to do now... Just do what you can to make yourself happy. If you plan on leaving at the end of the year, then you aren't worried about getting pink slipped. Do what will make teaching fun for you and your students and don't even look the AP's way.

If you need advice, come here. Combining us all together we have centuries of experience... lol

12. aidge

aidge Rookie

Sep 29, 2008

I am familiar with that level of morale- my first public school year was at a place like that where the Principal and VP were very intimidating. It was amazing to go from feeling like I did nothing right, to now feeling like I do almost everything right. My administration now tries to encourage me instead of burden me. So it is not you, and my guess is that several grievances could have been filed with the union by now. We were able to file grievances b/c she was not debriefing with us on our observations within the contractual time frame. Things like that can be filed. That often brings administrators to their senses- That and writing or talking to the district office (i.e. the superintendent) about the affect it's having on your morale. They are usually willing to reprimand the school administration if things have gotten too bad and enough teachers speak up together. You guys may need to give those things a shot! Good luck. It CAN be much better.

13. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Sep 29, 2008

ALR

I agree with others. You definitly need to save every e-mail and nasty note, write down any occurance of rude behavior and make sure you date everything. Then when you leave at the end of this year take everything to your superintendent and school board members. This type of behavior is exactly why good teachers leave the profession. Give yourself a pat on the back and be proud of the way you handle yourself. :2cents:

14. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2008

I think you have shown incredible character and restraint. You say this has been bothering you for 2 years and you haven't shared or vented with anyone at work. This tells us that you are a good and decent professional who recognizes that she is working in an environment that is not healthy. Do your best to stay positive this year and start looking and interviewing the minute positions start being posted in your area. Best wishes to you. Coming here to vent and chat is a good decision. There are so many times I simply come here to diffuse at the end of the day. A to Z is one of my internet visits every day after work. Even if I don't post anything that day, I read each day and learn more about what we all go through in this profession. We have so many commonalities. It really helps me do my job better to know I can share and listen to other teachers going through the same types of challenges. No mater where we live or teach, we are friends here. I'm glad yo came to join us! Welcome!

15. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Sep 30, 2008

Take pictures of your room!-along with documenting. That's a health hazard waiting to happen.

16. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2008

The union would be able to react to the announcements that reprimand specific faculty by name. The union also may have safety rules for the classroom or a way to complain to the district (faculty councel here) about the problems with the portables. The union would respond to the unwillingness to provide information necessary to do the work. The high turn over rate might be addressed through the union also.

17. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008

It's hard to know if you're overreacting. Do you mean are you overreacting by venting here? I don't think so. Would leaving the profession you've staked your life on because of this experience be overreacting? I think so.

Maybe look on the bright side until you get out of there. The principal can hardly fire you if he can't even get your name right.:)

18. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Oct 2, 2008

While reading this I felt like your principal is the Trunchbull from Matilda! Yuck. I am so sorry you have to go through this. I know for a fact that you are not overreacting. I would have left but I understand it's super hard to find a job right now. Your a brave sole.
    Good luck

19. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Oct 2, 2008

oops I meant soul :)