I chose loyalty over money. Was this wise?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by oldstudent, Apr 24, 2013.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Apr 24, 2013

For many years, I have been subbing somewhat often at the same middle school I attended many decades ago.
    Most classes are generally pleasant.
    This year, however, there is a hard luck 6th grade teacher who has a very difficult class, and she always asks me to handle it when I am not booked elsewhere.
    It is not my favorite class, but the teacher, Principal, Vice principal, and Office manager have all shown their appreciation for my taking this class. The principal claims I am the best they have.

Tragically, the poor teacher's mother passed away unexpectedly last week, so they wanted me to handle this class ideally for all seven days she was to be out.
    I was only available for one of the first five days, but I agreed to come back tomorrow and Friday.

A little while ago , however, I was just offered a two day assignment from another district that pays a rare $192/day.
    This is in sharp contrast to my prearranged job that pays $115/day.

As much as I hate to lose an additional $154, I could not bring myself to cancel my current job, especially under these difficult circumstances. Loyalty won out.

Would you have done the same thing? I feel I did, but I still have a knot in my stomach, especially since the $192/day job would have been very easy and a lot more fun.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2013

I would have done the same because I had already committed.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2013

You did the right thing. Morality will always trump in my book.

Be prepared for some opposite opinions, though.

And remember why you made that decision...:hugs:

5. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Apr 24, 2013

I have done the same thing. I had to give up a week in a higher paying district.

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2013

Easily would've done the same thing. Both for the "moral" reason everyone is bringing up, but also because it continues to build up that bridge that might lead to a letter of recommendation / extra references that could lead to a full time job.

7. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Apr 25, 2013

Thanks for the feedback!

I am glad that the five above agree with me.

The office manager said she would have understood my decision to cancel and would not have held it against me, but I still feel better now about my decision.

There are probably some who could justify going the other way.

I can as well, but others who could justify going the other way might have chosen not to rub salt in the wound.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2013

You have raised yourself several notches up with that office manager...usually a great person to have on your side!

9. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Apr 26, 2013

You made the right choice. You listened to your instincts, and can feel good about yourself at the end of the day.

Can't say for sure what I would've done... because I'm broke, and holy moly $192 is a lot! But I feel loyal to certain schools, too, because the people there are amazing and supportive :)

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2013

Without a doubt, I would have done the same thing! Kudos to you and that school for having a loyal person on their side. The next opening might be yours.