I can't think.......

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by skittleroo, Jun 11, 2009.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2009

I will be in a new school next year and the whole school does a theme. It will be sports and I want to do race car/NASCAR theme.

I had a few ideas. I want to use the flags' colors - red, yellow, green, and checkered. I want to turn a car tire into a reading seat too.

All the ideas I find online talk about using race car theme in regard to behavior management boards, but this school doesn't use those.

Any other creative ideas to decorate?

I've also considered doing rodeo, so please send any of those ideas as well.

Thanks in advance for helping a creativeless teacher.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2009

If you wanted to add more colors, there is a black flag which means they did something bad and have to park and a blue with yellow X on it..not sure what that means.

You can have a Pit Stop for your Reading area or discipline area (whatever you use). Others can include the Garage area, Finish Line, Victory Lane, etc.

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2009

Oh yeah, I bought plastic tablecloths to use instead of bb paper (white black, yellow, red)

I need to check on the extra flags (I don't know a thing about racing), but it seems more fun than doing ones like football, baseball - they are so over-used.

Thanks for mentioning victory lane, finish line. I'll have to think of a way to incorporate those.

I wish I could get my husband to make a race car sitting area (he just made a beautiful bench for me last year).

Thanks stg! Please keep the ideas coming.

5. smalltowngal

Jun 11, 2009

Here's a list and description of all the flags used in a race. I'll continue thinking.

6. Jungle

Jungle Companion

Jun 11, 2009

I saw a teacher's classroom who had up a Race Through The Year display where she had a highway on the wall and then displayed photographs of the kids throughout the year at their various events. It was really neat!

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2009

oh jungle, that a great idea.

are talking about displaying pics I take say at the Christmas party, field trips, field day etc.

I could even label part of the road according to the months and post approriate pics (I'll be teaching kinder) - Terrific
    That is a great idea!

8. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 11, 2009

I love this!!!!!!!! I'm doing Hollywood and this inspired me to do something like Our Wall of Fame w. the pics.

For racing - contact Nascar and other racing organizations. We did a racing theme for camp one year and our director said they were the most generous people she's ever dealt with. They sent us TONS of stuff for our kids and even sent a real car for the kids to get pics. made with. Jeremy Mayfield even came up!

9. smalltowngal

Jun 11, 2009

I don't think you want him coming out again...he was busted for some type of drug! :eek:

10. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2009

thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow that is cool! I don't know Jeremy Mayfield.

I found one site where the teacher had made a chair of sorts made from tires. I would love to try that out.

I want to make sure I can still make my room inviting to little ones.

I'm so inclined toward gardens and rainforests and things like that. My thinking doesn't tend to focus on things like car racing. I know the boys will love it. I just hope I can find a way to make it inviting to boys and girls ---and something I can live with all year.

11. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 11, 2009

I know...I was so disappointed in him. :confused: Are there any good famous people left?

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 11, 2009

jeannie,
    You tire seat idea sounds so cute -- but a word of warning. Tires have an odor when they are kept indoors. The newer they are, the stronger the smell. Secondly, there are some children that have allergic reactions to the material in the tires (similar to children with latex allergies.)

13. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 11, 2009

These aren't my ideas -- I found them all on the internet:

Revving Up for Great Year
    Get Your Math Motors Running
    Racing to Success
    Braking for Birthdays
    Off to a Good Start
    Racing into ____ Grade

I saw this on a scholastic site:
    R-Respect~ yourself and other’s
    A-Attitude~ Always have a positive one.
    C-Cooperate~ and always do your best
    E-Excellence~ it’s the key to success!

What formerly was my Student of the Week bulletin board has been transformed into “Victory Lane”—complete with an oversized graphic Winner’s Cup with their name added to the faceplate. On this bulletin board, the student of the week will get to share pictures of his or her family along with their All About Me “Driver of the Week” form where they list all of their favorite pastimes and special things about them.

For icebreakers, my students will “paint” their own racecar on tag board. Each student will have their picture taken and we’ll put their picture on the head of their racecar driver. When everyone is finished designing their own racecar, we will do one “lap around the track” (aka: around the classroom) to show off our fancy paint jobs on our cars.

Next, my 3rd grade “drivers” will be directed to start their engines and line up for “time trials.” The directions for activity will be: “This time trial is to see how long it takes you to line yourselves up according to your birthdays—beginning with January 1st and ending with December 31st, only you have to decide how you’re going to get this done.”

“Drivers on your marks………… get set………. GO!” (and I will wave the green flag!)

Then I will keep time on the stop watch and observe who emerge in the group as leaders, as the most hesitant to work in a group, as the bossiest, as the most sensitive, as the most easily discouraged ect. Only “helping” from time to time if they all get stuck or seem to be spinning out and going nowhere.

14. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2009

I think Really Good Stuff has some sort of "racing into a new year" stuff in their catalog.

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2009

This teacher has some REALLY cute ideas when she did a racing theme one year. Oh, and if you haven't booked mark this website, do so! :)

16. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2009

Thanks to all of you! I appreciate your help. And rainstorm, I will definitely keep an eye on the tires. I saw that in a teacher's room so I wonder if she had a problem....

I intend to use a used tire (scrubbed extra good). I wonder if that would be better?????

I'm surprised that I'm so excited when I'm not a racing fan.

17. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2009

oh wow peachyness - your right. This teacher did a great job. I heard about this teacher, but all I could find was a sports theme (football, baseball, etc.)THanks so much for the link!

18. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 12, 2009

19. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2009

yes I finally was able to find - good thing it wasn't a snake!

And a friend of mine mentioned speed racer. I don't know how to incorporate, but it's a good connection.
    Thanks so much!