I can't take any more!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Jenny G, May 12, 2007.

1. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

May 12, 2007

Well, clearly I can because I'm not about to leave the school, but my principal has finally taken his lack of discipline too far.

He has not disciplined trouble students all year long. It has severely impacted how the school behaves as a whole. Teachers in all grade levels are commenting on it. Well, Thursday took the cake.

Before school, I brought 4 boys to the office for hitting another student. All are in 5th grade, 2 of the hitters and the hittee are mine. The vice-principal is the only administrator there and tries to deal with it. When questioning the boy that was hit, it is learned that they were hitting him because another student was videotaping it. Come to find out, this is not the first time this has happened. VP decides she needs to wait for Principal to get back to take part in the discussion.

Fast forward to end of day when we learn what the consequences of their actions will be. One boy will be suspended because he has been in many fights in the last few months. Suspended for ONE DAY!! Another boy, who has been in as many fights, but over a longer period of time and is still awaiting consequences from Camp a week ago, and the other 3 (two hitters and the cameraman) will get lunch time clean up duty for a week, providing the principal can find an adult who will supervise them. THAT IS ALL!!! I found out the next day that the boys' parents weren't even called.

I am beyond disappointed in the principal. VP is livid that they are getting off so easy. Thank goodness only 23 days of school left, but what about for next year?

3. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

May 12, 2007

My principal isn't much better. He does spank, but it isn't effective. He has also suspended students, but thats just what the students want. Its always the same students. Now for our sanity he has decided if they can't behave they can just go home for the rest of the school year. 8 1/2 student days to go and counting:D

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 12, 2007

Wow, if I were that kid's parents - the one that got hit - I would be going to the police and media myself and putting pressure on that principal. This kind of behavior only escalates the more they get away with it.As they get older and stronger, what might they do then on video? And why did kids have electronics at school to video with??

5. teacherwannaB

teacherwannaB Companion

May 14, 2007

Are you serious????????

6. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

May 14, 2007

Yes he does. It is still legal in Alabama to spank but there is no support from the school board. But the principal knows the parents, goes to church with them and several have said in plain english to whip them if they can't behave! This time of the year its not as effective, so they will go home until August.

7. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

May 14, 2007

I wish the parent would create a ruckus, but she is a little slow. So is her son. I'm trying to figure out a way to contact the superintendent without shooting myself in the foot.

Of course, this is the same principal that allows a teacher to continue to work there after twice slapping a student on the hand.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 14, 2007

Do you have any contacts in the local media? Could you "anonymously" tip them off?

9. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

May 14, 2007

That was my first thought, but I'm still afraid it will get back that it was me. I have to do something though because it's getting to where I can't live with myself if I don't.

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

May 14, 2007

Hey we have the exact opposite problem at our middle school. They were going to suspend 3 boys for three days for just misbehaving at a field trip. It wasn't even serious horseplay. They were just acting like typical sixth graders. At the school were I teach at the discipline problems always seem to be the fault of the parents. "A" acts the way he does because he has a rotten home life. That might be true but do you think that maybe it could be school issue as well. Our VP deals with most discipline issues, she was a great teacher but sometimes I wonder about her VP skills.

11. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jun 12, 2007

I agree! Wow...all too often I think we let kids get aways with criminal behavior because it is somehow supposed to be handled in the school. I think the police should have been contacted. I'd keep records. If the parents of the kid who was hit learn about it after it escalates, the school will (should) have a lawsuit on their hands.

12. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 12, 2007

Jenny, I think if I were you I might consult an attorney or a union rep. to ask questions about what you can do and what repercussions might come down on you if you step forward. I can see this is eating you up. It would really bother me too because someone needs to stand up for that kid and for what is right. Consult someone who is constrained by law to keep your conversation confidential and who would be able to find out what your options are.This is plain sick.

Another idea - could you get a consensus from the teachers regarding the lack of discipline school wide and see what the union rep has to say about that?

13. AHB

AHB Rookie

Jun 12, 2007

This is a difficult situation. The children that did the hitting..did they get a guidance referral? There was a child at my school just a week before school let out (in my class) that took a safety pin and poked other students with it at lunch after doing first on herself and she only received 1 day in school suspension. I wished so badly that one of the parents of the victims had stepped up and sued. Hepatitis, Aids, all kinds of threats looming in our schools and this rebellious 5th grader gets 1 day ISS:confused:

14. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Jun 12, 2007

This was just part of a long line of complete inadequacy by our principal. Since this event, one student was caught mooning another (2 days suspension, constant troublemaker), another was strangling another student after telling him to "shut his black a@%hole" (2 days missed recess, occurred the day after he had received 3 days in house from his teacher for making racial comments), and a third pair of boys who received 3 days in house for hitting each other in line (neither has been in any trouble before, one was an exemplary student). The last two events happened on the same day. Punishments really fit the crime didn't they?

15. AHB

AHB Rookie

Jun 12, 2007

:rolleyes: I know it is really getting bad out there but we do love our jobs still- why????

16. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 12, 2007

Just crazy!

Does your school/district have a policy manual regarding discipline? Someone needs to hole this principal's feet to the fire. I know kids aren't perfect and there are a lot of problems out there, but the principal needs to hold kids accountable for their actions. I believe this kind of stuff is going on across the country, which accounts for where we are headed. Scary.

Onward soldiers! The only thing between society and complete chaos is us!!

17. AHB

AHB Rookie

Jun 12, 2007

I hear ya bonneb! I don't know who reads those policy manuals besides us???The principal was sitting in on the meeting and every time a question was asked like "why did you do that" or "did you know how dangerous that was" the mother answered for the student and no one said anything about it. It really is sad how impotent we are to protect the innocent in not only our classrooms but our society. It is scary- I have a child in school! I'm seriously thinking about home schooling because of everything I see day to day.

18. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Jun 12, 2007

Sorry for your situation Jenny G! I hope that you are able to take some action!

As for the spanking... OH.MY.GOD. I'm shocked!! I cannot believe in this day and age an elementary school would get physical as punishment. If I ever heard that a principal smacked my child you would literally have to pull me off of him. (Not that I would EVER let my child enroll in a school that used corporal punishment...YIKES).

19. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 13, 2007

I don't think it is our place to spank (as teachers or administrators)...but I do think there is a time and a place for it. Too bad the parents aren't up to creating positive, productive citizens and let their kids run a muck! Ok...back away from the soap box.

As far as the situation with the principal....it might be about time to say the heck with if it comes back to me. Go to a union rep...talk to someone at Human Resources.... If this is a consistent problem, and it's not that the principal is just being a jerk to the teachers but harming/not protecting the kids (not that it's okay...but kids first), then something needs to be done. I hope that you can find some solution...we're behind you 100%

20. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jun 13, 2007

I would have called all the parents first thing before school was out. Write out exactly what happened and who said what.
    I am a member of OEA and NEA and there is no way I could live with that mess!. Get email on yahoo or somewhere and send information to the media. Those kids are headed for really bad bullying or worse!!! Slow parents and slow kids need you.