I can't stand glitter

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by agdamity, Mar 12, 2008.

1. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 12, 2008

:eek:I walked into my room today after art class, and my room was COVERED in glitter!!!! :mad: My class decided to have a little glitter fight instead of doing their art, and it was over every single chair desk, table, etc. in my room. The floor was covered, and the students had glitter ALL over them--on their clothes, in their hair. I bet I have some mad momma's calling in the morning! (Understandably). Their punishment? Next time, they can't do a fun art activity. :eek:hmy: That was what my principal came up with, I would have prefered that they clean every speck of glitter off the floor, personally, but it wasn't up to me.
    Anybody else have glitter stories to share? I'm afraid I'll be seeing glitter for weeks!!:lol:

3. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Mar 12, 2008

I know. I LOOOOVE sparkly stuff, but glitter is so messy. However, I found some glitter-glue at the Dollar Tree. It's awesome. The kids just squeeze it out of the tube. All the bling, none of the fly-away.

Of course, if they chose to have a fight with the stuff, it might be worse than regular glitter. Sticky, gluey hair and clothes!

4. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Mar 12, 2008

Why couldn't you make them clean up their mess? They made it they should be responsible for cleaning it up! My Kinders clean up their own messes.

5. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2008

Your principal doesn't know too much about effective punishments, does he? Your choice would have been far, far better.

My son once made a mess in the school (I think accidental, but he was disobeying rules) and was punished for it and threatened with "Next time, you'll have to clean it yourself."

WT....????? Next time??? The school thought I was angry about the punishment -- I was angry they didn't make him clean it up that time!

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 12, 2008

Yes, glitter glue pens are awesome, but this was the regular stuff!! My principal doesn't believe the students are at school to clean--she's great in some areas, but this discipline is lacking. Later on in the day, I caught one of my students with a glitter bottle he stole from the art teacher, and he was given no punishment of any kind other than "give it back." I write him up for it, and that's all the office does? They wonder why my class is out of control?

7. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Mar 12, 2008

I love glitter projects, but won't hang them inside my room. Out in the hallway is ok. I supervise the usage over a pan and put it away. I am always afraid someone will get it into the eye and scratch a cornea. I had that happen to me when I was little.

8. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2008

I HATE GLITTER!! I have probably used it 3 or 4 times in the last 6 years! The glitter pens are better...but not much! I just hate that it gets everywhere!

I would have had my class clean the glitter up and lose the privlage to do a fun activity the next time!

Also, who teaches this art class? Shouldn't that teacher be resposible for making sure that your room is clean when the class is over?

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2008

During my first year of teaching I had a student who threw the glitter up in the air just to watch it come down. It annoyed me no end.

She also threw corn and peas up in the air at lunch. I remember making her clean the entire floor under our table.

Didn't do any good. Her sister, who subs in our school, tells me she still throws things up in the air.

That was 23 years ago.

10. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Mar 12, 2008

I don't mean to hijack - but is there such a thing as a phobia of glitter? When I read the title of the post I had vague recollections of hearing something like that.... Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.... Or maybe I heard that some kids that have sensory issues are sensitive to it?
    Anybody hear of something like this?

11. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Mar 12, 2008

Shouldbeasleep: too funny!! :toofunny:

12. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Mar 13, 2008

I let my sixth graders use glitter once, on the covers of the dragon books they made for the kindergarten.

It was horrible.

The carpet was still twinkling on the last day of school.

13. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2008

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 13, 2008

One of my kids threw a grape at a classmate a few years ago. I didn't even approach the principal. I made him go around and pick up all the grapes that had been dropped on the floor of the cafeteria (we are the last grade to eat so there were A LOT of grapes). Then he stayed in the cafeteria during PE time to sweep, mop, and scrub tables. He didn't throw food again! I have a dust buster in my room so on the rare occasion that glitter comes out I can usually handle it, but there's one area they use it, and that's it. I agree with the others above. Where was the art teacher during all this fiasco?

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 13, 2008

I absolutely hate glitter! It makes a terrible mess and is nearly impossible to clean up. I have banned it from my room completely except in two instances-glitter glue is used occasionally, and glitter if (and only if) it is kept in a meat tray with sides and the students don't ever touch it directly. In other words, our local craft guru can use it in my room and no one else. One year I moved into a room that had been formerly occupied by a glitter lover. I had been in this room for a year and was still finding and cleaning up pieces of glitter! It haunts me worse than dust bunnies!

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 13, 2008

I love glitter. It is messy. But the kids have so much fun with it.

I can't believe your principal did not make them clean up that mess. I would have made them clean it up in kindergarten!!

17. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 13, 2008

I feel like a square peg in a round hole here!

Yes, they should have cleaned it up. But I have to admit there is something intriguing about glitter!! It just begs to be thrown! It is one of the few things on earth that almost duplicates something amazing in nature - for me, it is the sparkle of a certain kind of snow . . .

I am smiling, imagining glitter all over my room, sparkling like crazy. I know the janitor must hate it, and I always apologize when we use it, but if it was all over my carpet I think I would just enjoy the little sparkles till they got carried away on kids' shoes. I know, I am weird. And I have to admit that I once doused my daughter's entire birthday party crowd with sparkly cake decorations - it was an urge that was too powerful to resist! To this day, that one mom thinks I have a screw loose!

18. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Mar 13, 2008

We made "math monsters" with glitter last year. Each student traced a classmate's outline on a piece of giant paper. The students then cut out, colored, painted, glued, and glittered their "monsters" to perfection, after which we measured them with rulers and lined them up end to end down the hallway to show how tall we all were combined. It was the most fun we had with art OR with math all year!

And, luckily, several of my students also had IEP goals to learn how to vaccuum! ;)

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 13, 2008

No no I am the same way. I wouldn't mind glitter all over. I just hate when it gets in my eyes!

20. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 13, 2008

Glitter in the eyes would not be good!

21. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 13, 2008

The art teacher travels from room to room with a cart because we are tight on space. She was in the room during this, but she is brand new and has only been in my room about 5 or 6 times, so she is still figuring out how to manage my class (they are extremely challenging.) I did notice, however, that there were better glitter policies used today in the classes she went to :) ( The second graders were very fascinated with the glitter project, and they were so quiet while working--I guess it's only my 4th graders who go bonkers!)

22. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 13, 2008

Me, too! I absolutely love glitter! I love the way if feels in my hands, the way it sparkles, everything. I live near a party supply store, and they sell glitter by the GALLON! Why would I ever need a gallon of glitter? I teach high school English! But I bought it anyway... tee hee!:D

23. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Mar 13, 2008

Glitter is one thing with which I have a love/hate relationship. Love the sparkles -- hate the mess! I feel the same way about Easter grass, Christmas tinsel (the old-fashioned "icicles"), or live Christmas tree needles (you know, the ones that get all over the house?).

24. rainyday

rainyday Rookie

Mar 14, 2008

I hate the texture of glitter. I also can't touch cotton wool or being around balloons. Makes for a boring art lesson in my classroom with all my silly quirks haha.

25. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 14, 2008

I like messing with glitter. I don't like my students messing with it.

Last year (we had just moved into our new building) someone (adult) tried to run a poster board with glitter through our brand new laminator. The laminator was smoking!

26. Oregon Sub Girl

Oregon Sub Girl Rookie

Mar 14, 2008

These were 4th Graders! Oh they should know better by then! I also am a lover of glitter, but I love controlled glitter projects. We do them one at a time with an adult helper and the glitter and project are in a cookie sheet. We end up with some on the floor, but I also don't mind a sparkly floor and most of it stays in the tray.

27. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Mar 15, 2008

LOL! This cracks me up! We had glittered snowflakes we made before Christmas, glittered hearts for valentines, glittered shamrocks for St. Patty's day....I LOVE GLITTER! It can be messy, but I love looking at all those pretty sparkles dotting the landscape of my room! :)

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2008

The art teacher should have made the kids clean up- no way should you have come back to the mess. That said, I do love glitter! You have to be careful though - a little goes a long way! Also glitter can cause severe problems if it gets in your eyes...BE CAREFUL!!Some glitter is made of metal and if it gets into the eye can cause a corneal abrasion. Children should be supervised when using glitter or have an adult apply the glitter.