I can't sleep!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2008

It's blatant as stated in my title- I. Can't. Sleep.

I've tried for two hours, but I have tossed and turned continuously, and I finally thought, Drat, maybe the computer will make me more tired.

It's because:
    • I am in a new classroom this year.
    • I am the Team Leader and have plenty to organize.
    • So much is running through my mind on how I am going to move my belongings two rooms down.
    • How am I going to move the white bookcase on my own without knocking myself over?
    • I feel bad a few friends couldn't get in the same 5th grade class (yet I think they'll be okay).
    • I NEED to bring trash bags tomorrow.
    • I need to make sure I have snacks with me, also.
    • Technically, it's not tomorrow. It's only five hours from now.
    • What?!?!

Anyone else suffering from school-related insomnia?

3. LinzerCastle

LinzerCastle Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

YES!! The insomnia started about two weeks ago! The second I lay down my mind starts running through my "to do list" for this year!

Even when I actually manage to fall asleep, I have school dreams! It's crazy. Although I have to say, I have been pretty productive during the late hours I've been keeping!

It's nice to know I'm not the only one!

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2008

Uhhh... will I actually wake up in about four hours is the question...

I've already "slept" two... well, tossed and turned, but I think I'll be working on adrenaline, anyway.

I had a hilarious school dream last night. Well, I was LIVID and had to pinch myself awake, but my "students" were dumping my books off my bookcase and stuffing the shelves with lots of individual crayons. You could have touched the shelves with a pin, and I am positive those crayons could have shot out at you. When I was going to say something to them, I couldn't talk. Before that, I spent what seemed like an "hour" doing a time lesson with them (why TIME in fourth grade??). Then after they said they "got it", they couldn't answer any of the questions. It was insane.

5. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

I have been having the insomnia too...but mine is more anxiety related...I HATE insomnia!

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2008

My mind is on this blasted new room... A LOT. It's like every five seconds, I get an idea. I think it's also that I am the advanced teacher. I am ecstatic over that because according to many, it's "my forte". The team leader concept is currently over my head (though I'm excited and my mind is racing there, too) and I don't it'll hit me until a few days from now.

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 30, 2008

Try taking melatonin--- its all natural stuff and you won't get hooked on it. It's the only thing allowing me to get to sleep now--- I'm dealing with a move into my own apartment and being a brand new teacher in a few weeks.

8. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

ME, TOO!!! I wake up thinking of things I need to do, buy, look up, make, etc. I have a notebook beside the bed and I write it down, but then I can't always get back to sleep. I had to take Tylenol PM night 2 nights ago because we have a big teacher's conference right now and I couldn't settle down. My mind was racing!!!

9. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

That's why I've been on here since 4am.:eek:

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 30, 2008

UGH! I had awful anxiety-induced insomnia last night! I was wide awake and panicking from 4:05 until 6:30, then my alarm went off at 7:00.

I'm sure it'll only get worse :(

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 30, 2008

I almost did the same exact thing, but I reasoned it would only make me more anxious.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2008

Oh, I rolled around in bed with thoughts of bulletin boards in my head :) I have no idea when I fell asleep- at 2:20 I turned the alarm clock so I couldn't look anymore.
    I also was planning out my day tomorrow (when I am going back to work in my room). So, I likely won't sleep tonight, either!

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 30, 2008

Tis a curse!!!

Most nights I go to sleep but wake up EARLY dreaming about school. Last night I dreamed I was in my old school and was going to have to move classrooms after I'd just set it up. Then I was writing lesson plans the rest of the night.

I leave children's Benadryl liquid by my bedside & will take just a small swallow to go back to sleep.

I've also kept a notebook on the night stand and jot down great thoughts during the night.

14. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2008

I am too- I woke up at about 2:00am and rolled around thinking about school and anxieties for about an hour more or so... then woke up again at 5:00ish -- thought about how I want to set up my room this year... fell asleep and was up again at 6:30. UGH!!!!!!
    I think it's time to break out the Tylenol PM

15. LV2Teach333

LV2Teach333 Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

I'm going through this also!!! I have so many butterflies in my stomach.... I'm excited, but so nervous! I'm a first year teacher and am so worried about setting up my classroom!!

16. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 30, 2008

I'm suffering from this too. I'm going on vacation right before school starts, and I'm starting to panic about getting everything done! We are also doing a TOTALLY different reading series this year (Treasures) which seems to be brand spankin' new everywhere. My four blocks trained head can't get wrap my head over some things....honestly the third grade spelling list is to easy! I've tossed and turned the past two nights!

17. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

Sorry! I do the same thing. At least you can get into your classroom to work! I'm still waiting...Sometimes I take Melatonin, it really helps me fall asleep.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 30, 2008

If I don't go to sleep, it's by choice becuase I'm such a night owl! During the school year, I'll still go to bed as late as 11:00pm or so, but during vacation days, sky's the limit. Every once in a while, I'll go to bed at 3 something am.

BTW, anyone who needs a completely all-natural sleep aid that won't interfere w/ anything else you may be taking or is non-habit forming, PM me!

19. Bookworm

Bookworm Companion

Jul 30, 2008

I am feeling much better about my anxiety/insomnia after reading this. I can't figure out why I still get like this every year? Especially when I'm looping this year. I wake up thinking about the dumbest things. Last night is was "Where did I put my new staple remover at school?"

20. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

Oh, I think sitting for hours on this site only fueled my insomnia last night. Suddenly, I had so many other things to worry about - things I'd read in posts but hadn't considered yet. Ack!

And yet, here I am, again. It's an addiction. :p

21. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 30, 2008

I've been up late at night too! I stay up so late working then I stand up and I'm about to pass out! That's like at work. I am running around putting my room together then when I'm still, I feel like I'm going to fall over because I haven't eaten anything. Ah back to school time is not healthy for teachers!!

I'm also worrying because while I do get to stay in my same room (FOR ONCE!), I needed to rearrange some furniture and get desks instead of tables and move wall displays to make the fire marshall happy. OY. I'm switching grade levels so I'm wondering, is my classroom TOO primary for second graders? And then the planning! I'm also going to be the webmaster, I thought I knew how to do it and then the principal showed me the program and I was thinking WHAT THE HECK IS THIS?! It was so different than what I was used to....

Okay enough ranting. I got 7 hours of sleep which is decent, time to get ready to go to work!

22. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 30, 2008

You all are making me anxious just reading these! I have two weeks until I can get into the classroom to set up, and those weeks will be spent here at my office job. I'm working on school stuff all day, but I turn my two week notice in tomorrow afternoon and I have no idea how my boss will take it. Up to this point, he has been super easy going and never asks what I'm working on. But as soon as I turn that notice in, he might be hyper alert to what I'm doing over here, and then where will I be? I'll be awake at night, like you guys, worrying over how I'm going to get it all done!! I wish I could be in the room, setting everything up right now. What bliss that would be. So you may be tired in the morning, but at least you're tired in your classrooms. ;)

23. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 30, 2008

That's so funny - I did the same thing the other night--I was trying to think of a title for my word wall (Hollywood themed) and it occurred to me-I had to get up and write it down. Could barely read it the next morning, but....

I am anxious about the school year and still have a lot to do, but I think my not being able to sleep is my body is off schedule. I'm used to sleeping in a little bit (my puppy is still on school time, so I get up and let her out and then go back to sleep for an hour). Sometimes I indulge in a nap mid-afternoon and then I can't fall asleep until about 2:00 - wake up tired the next morning and the cycle continues. I have to start training myself to get up early again or I am going to be snoring through our in-services when we go back.

24. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2008

I do the same thing, but sometimes I do it 4-5 times in one night. I write notes about school nearly anywhere... and at any time. :lol: