I Can't Sing

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Bri120, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Bri120

Bri120 Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

I'm all of a sudden very nervous because I don't know any K songs. Did I mention I cannot hold a tune either!!

I'm soo nervous. Do you use a lot of songs in K ?

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 13, 2010

I can't sing either but I think it makes me that much better! I try to act confident. Sometimes... I'll just sing what I am thinking! The kids LOVE IT! Almost anything can be sung to Farmer and the Dell!

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2010

The kids have NO clue whether or not you can sing, so sing your heart out!!!

5. kinderokSA

kinderokSA Rookie

Aug 13, 2010

The sillier you are the more the children enjoy it and the more they participate. I can't sing either. Powerpoints and Dr Jean cd's work miracles.:) Have fun with it!!

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2010

Let's what CDs are for - to drown you out. Kids don't care and most of them are worse! This tickled me because I originally taught high school - my mother asked me why I would choose that and I told her it was because I couldnt sing.

7. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Aug 13, 2010

I can't sing either, but the little kids always seem to appreciate their teacher's singing voice for some reason. I remember when I was a student teacher a few years back, the teacher had the kids write me something nice so that she can make a tiny book out of all the nice comments/compliments. It was hilarious when so many of them commented how I had such a lovely singing voice..yah right!

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2010

Kinder kids also can't really sing!!! SO, you can all sing your hearts out and have fun! I taught kinder for three years and after a little bit you feel more comfortable singing and getting down and silly! :)

9. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 14, 2010

agree with all the above...Be confident and silly, the kids will love it!

10. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Aug 14, 2010

I agree with all of the above, the kids don't know and don't care, the most important thing is that you use music to engage and motivate them. Here is a link to all the different music I use in my classroom. I can't sing either :)

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 14, 2010

My kids cover their ears when I belt out a song! :p I always have to figure out the tune with a few bars first before I start. They're 5, they don't care--they're just having fun learning!!!! :)

12. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2010

Fake it. They won't care, they won't even know. Use CDs as a backup, make up a lot of hand motions, and it will be fine. I was very uncomfortable with music until a couple of years ago when people started coming in to observe more frequently (I'm a new teacher mentor in my system, so all of the new to grade PK people spend a day in my room in the Fall)...and now I'm just like, oh heck. Whatever. They've probably heard worse. I just go for it. And it's not so bad at all.

13. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 14, 2010

Oh boy - I'm NOT a singer - trust me. What I do, is for MOST songs, I have the cd going in the background which helps me not sound so retched. Trust me, the LOUDEST child singing will be WORSE than you - that's what usually happens to me. Just open wide, smile, and sing like your heart is in it - that's all they care about. :)

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2010

My old kinder partner (back when we had half day kinders and there were two kinder teachers in one room) sang even worse than I do! Her kids still adored her and sang right along, and eventually they all started to sound just like her! :lol:

15. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Aug 15, 2010

I agree with all the above posters. Just sing and have fun and your kids will too!