I can't get fired for this, can I?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 5throx, Jan 31, 2012.

1. 5throx

5throx Rookie

Jan 31, 2012

I busted a couple of kids viewing naughty pictures on the internet during some lab time. I immediately referred them for discipline. I can't get fired for that, can I?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2012

Did you have specific instructions and websites that the students were supposed to be viewing? Have students signed an internet type of contract?

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 31, 2012

Unless you were expected to monitor every student every minute on every computer, it sounds like you acted appropriately and should be commended. It was handled, it sounds, quickly and without drama. I'd think whomever is supposed to construct and maintain the school's firewall is in more of a pickle than any other adult.

5. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2012

I think you did well. It's impossible to be monitoring what every student is doing for every second of the day, especially if you were trying to help other lab groups.
    Did you assign something on the internet for all the students or were these students using the computer when they weren't supposed to?
    Also, I'm surprised that your school doesn't block this content.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2012

Alot of students know how to get around those blocks. I dont think you would get fired for that.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 31, 2012

Even if you had rewarded them for whatever reason with free time, you are not at fault for their inappropriate choices. You handled it appropriately.

8. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jan 31, 2012

Never say never given the makeup of public schools. Anything can get you sacked, even if the district is at fault.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 31, 2012

The same thing happened to me a few years ago. Nothing happened to me, the kid was suspended, and the AP and I still giggle about it sometimes.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 31, 2012

I had two boys looking at nasty, nasty stuff on my classroom laptops. I had 30 laptops scattered around the room, and they were working on their writing pieces. They weren't even supposed to be ON the internet. With my room setup, there was no way for me to see all screens at the same time, and they played that up.

Now, I did know they were doing something because I've taught middle school for a really long time. I checked their history--which isn't accessible by students--and OMG! They didn't just watch "regular" stuff either. It was seriously gross.

I printed the history and printed hard copies of some of the screen shots. They boys lost their internet rights for the rest of the year due to violation of the acceptable use policy.

I was doing everything I knew to do, so no trouble for me.

11. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jan 31, 2012

While you never say never with public schools, I don't see why you would unless there's some aspect you're not telling us. But based on what I see, there should only be consequences for the students, not you.

12. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2012

Most likely you won't. Probably even the person who arguably should get fired for it won't. It's possible to limit the ability of students to get to those sites reasonably well. http://www.opendns.com, for example, offers the option of blocking at the router. This means futzing around with PC settings simply won't work. To break it they'd either need their own router, or a combination of physical access to the router and the admin's login and administrator access on the computer they wanted to view the images on. I'm betting the net admin hasn't done much if anything.

Are school net admins usually this bad?

13. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Feb 1, 2012

It is the job of the school net techs to block material and sites like that, but kids are resourceful and often very determined to find ways around those blocks. It's happened in our district a couple of times. When kids find a way around the current blocks, net support finds ways to prevent that from working again, which means a LOT of things usually get blocked (even to teachers and admins) for a few days till they get the new security measures in place.

I don't know of a single incident of teachers OR the net techs being fired because kids found a way around the firewalls and blockades in place.

5throx - It sounds like you handled the situation swiftly, efficiently and effectively. It also sounds like you followed school protocol in dealing with the issue, so I don't see how this would reflect on you or be grounds for termination. I've monitored up to 30+ students in the computer lab before. Even with all the monitors turned where I can see them, it is impossible to see every screen the entire time. As long as you don't allow such activity to continue (which you didn't) and address it right away (which you did), you should be fine.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 1, 2012

Any updates, 5throx?

15. 5throx

5throx Rookie

Feb 1, 2012

Everything went well. The kids lost computer privileges for the remainder of the year, recieved what we call reverse supsension, meaning they have to stay after school on early release day.
    The P said that everything was handled just fine, and that if anyone's to blame it's the network administrators.
    Thanks, everyone!

16. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Feb 1, 2012

Glad it turned out well for you. You absolutely did the right thing :)

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 1, 2012

Whew! Hopefully that pit in your stomach has settled.

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2012

I'm glad everything worked out well for you. You did just what would have been expected of any good teacher!

19. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2012

That's great news! You did really well handling the situation too, so if you had gotten in trouble for it, that would have been completely unfair.

20. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2012

Glad that your P is supportive of you! Also glad that there are consequences for the students.