I Can't Find a Job!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lopesss, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Lopesss

Lopesss Rookie

Jan 8, 2017

Hi All!

I just finished my student teaching experience and I'll be officially graduated with my Master's degree on Monday, the 23rd (woo!). I'll have my Master of Arts in Teaching with two certs: P-3 General Education and P-12 Teacher of Students with Disabilities. I've been applying to jobs since about mid November. I am extremely organized and I have all of the schools I've applied to in an excel spreadsheet just to keep track. I've applied to about 15-20 schools.... and I've gotten two interviews. Both of which I did not get the job.

I know it's a weird time of the year for schools to be hiring, so I'm hoping more jobs will pop up as the months go by and also during the summer. I'm starting to think maybe it's me. Maybe my cover letter is too long or my resume isn't formatted correctly? I'm becoming very discouraged. My student teaching experience was excellent and my recommendation letters are great. I know I have the option of subbing but where I'm at right now in life, I really need something steady with benefits... I've even applied for aide and 1:1 positions and I haven't even gotten call backs for those. I have a family friend who graduated with her Masters and just a K-6 cert (no special ed cert) and got a tenure track job right out of school! It doesn't seem fair. Was I too optimistic? I mean, I knew it would be hard but I had no idea it would be this hard. Any thoughts/advice? Thanks!

3. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Jan 8, 2017

When I have put in my application for any job I always put my picture on the application.

Just a idea

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 8, 2017

It's the time of the year. Sub if you can to check out districts and schools as well as to get your name out there.

readingrules12, Lopesss and waterfall like this.
  5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 8, 2017

It's extremely rare for districts to post positions mid-year. Your friend that got a full time job mid-year was just extremely lucky, IMO because that's not typical. Subbing is a great idea to get your foot in the door to nearby districts. You may be able to find a long term job this time of year, which would help pad your resume for full time positions in the fall. In my district we usually fill long term positions from within our daily sub pool, so it's important to get your name out there through daily subbing right now.

Lopesss likes this.
  6. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Jan 9, 2017

If you Sub you will learn a lot about all kinds of classes and student behavior.

Be sure and write bad students names down. (Then the next time you do that class it is better) And if the class goes wild and you can't figure out students names. If it is 1 or two students, just point to them and tell them to go to the office. (Then take roll again to figure out who they are)
    (The office does like it if you give those students a pass to the office, if you figure out their names do that - and when you leave tell the office who you sent as most hide out in the restroom and don't actually go there)

If it is super bad, (Step next door and get a Teacher for help) Or send a nice student to the office for the Principal . (If the class intercom does not work or you don't have one)

After the Principal gives his lecture to the class, in the hallway ask the Principal to take the bad students out of the class room. (Just point them out)

Subs are tested by the students when they are new.

So you will have to make a example of some of those that really test you.

In a class with a couple hundred students (Band) I saw a Sub as soon as he came in he Band Hall , point to a random student (It seemed to me)
    and said You ! Go to the office !
    (After a quick argument with that student, the student left )

Then the students were under control of the Sub.
    (That was Jr High)

Just my 2 cents

P.S.
    Picking good classes (Those where students act better) instead of bad ones is very very important.

I have found the closer you are to the office, the better the students act.
    (At the very far end of the school it gets worse)

P.S. 2
    I write my class room rules on the board.
    (Other Subs , may or may not do that)

P.S. 3
    If in the Teachers notes it says in certain periods a Teachers Aide will help you. Take that with a grain of salt. 75 to 90 percent of the time when it says that, the Teachers Aide hides out, where ever it is Aides hide out.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    anon55 likes this.
  7. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jan 9, 2017

You may not like what I have to say, but I will be real honest with you. You lack teaching experience, regardless of your masters degree. You are not entitled to a job because of fancy degrees and certificates. What value are you to the school to be on their teaching staff? The most qualified candidate(experience) gets the job.

I didn't get a full time gig until 8 years after I had my credential and I wasn't on a forum whining about it. I substitute taught and did long term sub positions. Finally, I went out of state to get a job, then moved again, and again until I finally settled into where I wanted to be. It was a rough road but I got it done and never felt entitled.

My advice to you is to look at states and areas in desperate need and start there. You need to start at the bottom and work your way up in your career. It is like that for any job or career. Everyone starts at the bottom, gains experience and moves up the ranks. Degrees and certificates are technicalities that permit you to hold a certain job, but experience is what gets you the job.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2017

I don't really think this is preferable.

OP...I agree. You are competing for jobs with others who have more experience, education and who have forged connections thru subbing/networking/prior positions.

You might try posting your resume and cover here on the forums...good advice is often given on 'tweaking' these. And yes, it's not the best time of year to be looking for a position.
    See if you can get on some subbing lusts and get experience to add to your resume so you will be more marketable come April/May when the bulk of job openings hit.

Lopesss likes this.
  9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2017

Getting the principal involved doesn't make the best impression of your abilities.:2cents: Subs/teacher candidates need a good handle on behavior/classroom mgt and labeling kids as 'bad' and putting their names on the board is generally not the best practice.

teacherintexas and Lopesss like this.
  10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 9, 2017

I was a midyear graduate too, with my credential and masters.

Midyear positions are extremely rare, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just apply when and if they come up - that's all you can do. It's good that you're organized and working on applying. As for jobs for next year - it's VERY early, and you still have lots of time for that to happen. I think you're worrying a little prematurely. ;)

When I finished my program, I worked two para jobs while applying for teaching jobs. I was an RSP aide during the school day and an after school program leader in the afternoon. It worked out well for me. I did get a job (had to move an hour away - the market was TOUGH in 2012). It was at a year round school, so I actually started teaching July 5, which was pretty crazy! I think I got hired in April.

Keep applying, go to job fairs if there are any in your area, and don't worry this early about not getting a job for next year yet. There is still lots of time. Make sure your resume and cover letter are the best they can possibly be. I know the uncertainty stinks, but it won't last forever.

Lopesss likes this.
  11. Lopesss

Lopesss Rookie

Jan 9, 2017

There is absolutely no need for you to be so rude. I am not whining. I'm asking for help/advice. That is what this forum is for. I'm sure when you were in a similar position as myself and feeling frustrated, you would not have appreciated someone saying that you were "whining," about not being able to find a job. I am of excellent value to any school district. I'm a great teacher and I care deeply about my work, as I'm sure all of you do.

As I stated before, I have a family friend who received a full-time tenure track position right out of school with her only experience working with children being babysitting (and her student teaching experience of course) so it can't be impossible. If I've offended anyone with my post then I apologize, but if your intention was to comment on my post to criticize rather than help someone who you share a similar experience with, then you should have kept your comment to yourself.

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 9, 2017

Quick question - did the friend graduate in the spring? Way easier to get hired quickly then. Just asking to help you out. ;)

Lopesss likes this.
  13. Lopesss

Lopesss Rookie

Jan 9, 2017

Thanks for being so helpful. And yes she graduated in the spring. She did not get the job until early August.

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 9, 2017

It definitely is possible to get hired right out of school. (Or, in my case since I finished school in December, technically for the following school year.) The more flexible you are, the more possible it becomes. :) I would ask around and find out when most of the posting/hiring happens in your area. That might give you some peace of mind while you wait - although those August hires can still happen! Good luck!

Lopesss likes this.
  15. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jan 9, 2017

Well forgive me for offending you. Do you have a right not to be offended? Is my post filled with microaggressions that are insensitive? Do you need to sit in your college safe room with a teddy bear to be free from my harsh criticisms?

For someone with a masters degree and seems to think they are "highly educated" yet cannot understand and accept the most rudimentary principles of obtaining a job, I am beyond flummoxed. You mention your friend who obtained a job with your similar qualifications but you have not. Are you trying to enlighten us on some new epiphany that the world is fair and you have been wronged?

If you truly want a teaching job you could get one tomorrow. There are countless teaching jobs throughout our country unfilled that would hire you tomorrow to start. The question is how bad do you want it? Will you move to some God forsaken place to get your foot in the door and gain your experience? Or are you going to tout your degrees and certificates and wait for someone to hand it to you because you feel entitled? Stop whining and go make it happen already. Stop with the excuses and unfairness BS. The world will never meet you halfway, nor does the world owe you anything. Go make it happen.

16. Lopesss

Lopesss Rookie

Jan 9, 2017

You have some serious issues. You clearly take pleasure in tearing other people down and it's weird. You have no idea who I am so do not judge me by saying that I am "entitled." I pray you don't speak to your students like that. I will no longer entertain you. Have a good night.

anon55 likes this.
  17. Education4all

Education4all Rookie

Jan 9, 2017

Good night Lopesss

18. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Jan 10, 2017

As a Sub , I don't write anyone's name on the board.

Generally, the ones that act up usually refuse to give their name and the class refuses to give the name up due to retaliation.

Good example : 1 of the 2 students I sent to the office, one of them I did not know the students name. (That student refused to give it and the class also refused)

19. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2017

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  20. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2017

21. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2017

22. Lopesss

Lopesss Rookie

Jan 10, 2017

There is a job fair coming up at my school that I'm planning to attend. You're right. Some people just get lucky. And that's a pretty crazy story about the woman who sued and got a job! It's insane to think that things like that actually go on. Thanks for the advice.

23. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2017

Lopesss likes this.
  24. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Jan 19, 2017

I graduated 4 years ago with a Masters in ElEd. Worst thing I could have done. Districts may say they want educators with MAs, but they would prefer you get it while working. You're too costly to them if they have to hire a person with no experience that requires high pay.

What I want to know is, if I need experience to get a job, where the heck am I supposed to get it if no one will give me a chance? I did a LT sub position last year. I sub. I have experience, but apparently it's not the right kind or something. People who get jobs right away must know someone who knows someone.

Don't anyone ever come to the state of Iowa unless you teach Special Ed. The state is always bitching about shortages, but they literally never say it's only in SpEd. If you're an English teacher, you might as well just go work at Walmart.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  25. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Jan 19, 2017

Just one word of caution about job fairs. At least around here, they hold them way too early. People come in and hand out resumes in the hopes that the face to face contact will give them an edge. Which makes sense, but in February and March, many districts have no idea what they are going to need, so they may take your name and resume and then you're forgotten. They probably take those resumes back to HR and toss them. Just don't go in thinking you'll definitely get a lead or an interview. There might not be anything to interview for.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  26. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Jan 19, 2017

Iowa's the same way. Admins will also be biased against where you went to school. Went to an out of state school? Pass. Yet I have seen some truly rotten teachers out there.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  27. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2017

IloveSF likes this.
  28. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2017

29. Teachertimes

Teachertimes Rookie

Jan 20, 2017

With a masters degree you'd have a hard time getting hired. You are more expensive with not much experience. I graduated in December and one of my cohort members and I interviewed for the same job he was hired and I wasn't. It was the only mid year job for eled in my county. I was hired very early at the end of April for the following school year. I was long term subbing at the time to build up my network.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2017

Evidently, it's not always about 'luck' as your feedback letter indicates. That district hired people who had experience in and who had established themselves as a valuable hire for the school district. It's the same advice given time and time again on these forums-subbing/LTS positions strengthen resumes, make candidates more desirable and competitive.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Leaborb192 likes this.
  31. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2017

32. msleep

msleep Rookie

Jan 21, 2017

Please don't do that.

cocobean likes this.
  33. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Jan 21, 2017

Not trying to offend, but honestly you will need to toughen up a little if you wish to teach. Your students will likely say worse to you than what Education4all has said to you.
    :)

Leaborb192 likes this.
  34. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2017

35. SUPER STAR

SUPER STAR Guest

Mar 5, 2017

Hello, Don't lose hope just yet, You need to identify amount of time you need to spend while looking for job. Don't spend the whole day looking for the job it can be very disheartening.Work on you resume format with your relevant industry which for this case is Teaching and professionally write your cover letter

36. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Mar 11, 2017

This is me. An MA but I only have being a para and a LTS job to go on. I wish I would have know this (or at least figured it out) before I went back to school. Nothing I can do about it now.

37. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Mar 11, 2017

That's what I was going to say. If you walk in and the first thing you do to the "bad" kid is send them out, all that shows is that you either can't handle behavior issues or you choose not to. That doesn't say much for you as a regular teacher.

I subbed in a room recently for 4 days (3 days in a row and then one the week before). There was a kid in there that has a reputation of testing subs like they've never been tested before. I had this kid last year too, so I knew this going in. First day he was terrible, but I attempted to do the best I could. Kids kept telling me to send him to the office, but I had a feeling that that was what always happened, and it didn't exactly say much for me as a teacher. The next week, I had to administer state tests, so it needed to be quiet, and this kid is not quiet. I sent him to the hall and stood in the doorway so the other students could have the right to test in a quiet environment. At lunch, I asked the secretary if I could send him down there to test. I did this less because I was failing in my attempt to get him to behave and more at the fact that IMO, the other students were being ripped of their right to test in a quiet environment, and I wasn't having that. The secretary said, absolutely, send him down. The next day, the counselor kept him, and the third day he came back to class and was actually a bit better. The principal came in and told me I did the right thing. I don't think he would have said that had I gotten rid of the kid the minute he stepped out of line.

Besides, dealing with those issues gives you experience because, yeah, you'll have a kid like that too, no matter where you teach.

38. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Mar 11, 2017

I think it's honestly often a mix of things - luck, right place/right time, who you know, where you sub, how impressive your credentials are...and on and on. I'm an introvert with social anxiety, so I find it very difficult to network, kiss butt, whatever. I try, but it's just not my personality to be Miss Suzy Suckup. I know a guy who graduated after me (at semester) and got a job the next August. However, he's Mr. Extrovert Butt-Kisser, so I have no doubts that that (along with being male in ElEd) got him a position. Does it make me mad? Yes. Is it fair? No. Am I willing to completely change my personality? No. I don't think I or anyone else should have to do that. I'd prefer they hire me with the personality I have because students like it and respond well. Hopefully someone out there will hire a somewhat shy teacher who is much more outgoing in a classroom.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  39. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2017

If you can't convey in an interview who you are in the classroom, it's going to be VERY difficult to land a job. One doesn't have to be a suck up to get a job....administrators and hiring committees see righ through that. Competitive candidates have not only education and experience, but they are also able to speak effectively as to their pedagogy, philosophy and passion for what they do.

40. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Mar 12, 2017

Don't act like you know how I am in interviews based solely on what I posted here. It's not like I go into an interview and hide in the corner mumbling, "Please don't talk to me," or talk so softly that no one can hear me. It's taken me a lot of practice to fake it and act confident, but I don't believe I give off some shy mouse persona in interviews. I go in there, smile, shake hands, look people in the eyes, and answer the questions to the best of my ability. I speak up and come prepared with relevant examples. Just because I may be quiet in a room full of strangers doesn't mean I do it everywhere. I've seen many a quiet teacher in classrooms, so apparently some of them get jobs.

And that may be your experience with admins, but I've known plenty who love people who suck up to them. I worked for one. They might see right through it, but the love it just the same.