I can't even begin...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by smalltowngal, Jun 16, 2009.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2009

to describe the feelings of disappointment, rejection, sadness, etc that I feel when a position that I haven't even interviewed for is taken down. The 7th grade ELA position that I applied to and dropped my stuff off for has been taken down. The application status still says Application Complete, not Closed, but it seems in this district that when a job is taken down, that means it's been filled. What is wrong with me that you can't even interview me? Am I that bad? Is my resume that tarnished for some reason?

Sorry guys, I'm in a bit of funk lately and this news doesn't help. :(

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 16, 2009

I am so sorry. I imagine that you've posted your resume/cover letter here for us to look at?

The only thing that will get you a job is to apply for more jobs. Hold your head up! Someone WILL hire you.

4. smalltowngal

Jun 16, 2009

PF~I've posted my cover letter and resume here so many times...and I've made every change suggested on both.

I'm really starting to think about relocating AGAIN! I just don't know where I would go. :(

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2009

I bet there is a lot of internal hiring going on.

Have you posted your resume/cover letter for people here to look at? Maybe there are ways you can jazz them up. But, I bet the issue is internal shuffling of teachers and hiring.

Hang in there!

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2009

Did you make any changes to your resume that went against your instinct? Several people told me to delete my section describing my work beta testing popular computer games from my technology skills section. They said it wasn't "professional" enough. I took most advice, but I stuck to my guns on that and left it in. And, all my interviewers asked me about it and I was able to mention the patience it took, the organization, attention to detail and the networking with other testers and programmers. It might not relate, but I think it added a little "hook" that I used to highlight some of those characteristics that I related back to teaching. I don't think leaving it in hurt me at all and may have helped by adding a memorable little hook.

7. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jun 16, 2009

Many times positions are just posted as a formality since it is a requirement.In all reality the position is filled from the inside or someone with connections. Keep trying,it is very likely not your fault you were not interviewed. Good Luck.

8. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jun 16, 2009

I feel that way a lot when I see postings taken down or when I get emails saying they've chosen a qualified candidate when I didn't even get an interview - so frustrating!!

Good luck! I know you will find something (as we all will!)!!!

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2009

I'm sorry, STG. It's so hard to just keep plugging away, but hopefully soon all of your hard work will pay off.

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 16, 2009

Hugs hun.

11. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 16, 2009

I am sorry STG!! It is so frustrating. Just don't give up, there is a job waiting for you. I know in my district, they post jobs that they know who they are going to hire already. They have to go through the formality and interview everyone who wants to transfer. I wanted so many times to say, am I wasting my time or would you actually consider me. You are very qualified and somebody is missing a great teacher. Good thoughts for you!!!:)

12. Mommatothebear

Mommatothebear Rookie

Jun 16, 2009

I totally get this. Makes me want to e-mail the principals and say "What's so wrong with me that I wasn't even worth talking to?!"

13. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jun 16, 2009

you explained my same feelings so perfectly. i just wish i could explain to them how AWESOME i am! lol obviously not in those words. i just dont understand and dont know what to do anymore.

14. smalltowngal

Jun 16, 2009

Thanks guys! That's why I'm so thankful to have yall for support. The position had been posted for 2 weeks so I figured all internal hiring was over. Have to keep plugging away!

15. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2009

I agree with molly that there's a lot of internal hiring occuring. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

16. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 16, 2009

STG I'm sorry and I am angry too. I say that because out of all the people on here, I swear you gave me the most advice when it came to interviewing, resumes, phil of ed, ty notes, you name it. I am one of your biggest fans!

I know the advice everyone, myself included, is telling you is stuff you already know. There is nothing else I can add to that. I know you know your job will come but I know it doesn't make it any easier. :hugs: I wish I could do SOMETHING!