I can't eat??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by elizak83, Aug 15, 2008.

1. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Aug 15, 2008

Ok so I know a few ppl have been following my "crying" thread...
    Since this whole episode began I can't keep much food down. I try...but I can't (normally I have a healthy appetite.) I don't want to end up getting sick...but this week this is what I ate:
    -a cup of grapes
    -a half a sandwich
    -a small piece of chicken
    -an ice cream bar
    (example: I just ate grapes yesterday...the half of a sandwich was today)
    I've also drank water....

Does anyone have any suggestions for vitamins I should take until I get my appetite back?? Or any specific food that will get me nutrients? I know I need to eat...but I just can't. Thanks for any suggestions!
    I want to stay healthy..and my

3. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 15, 2008

Ummm, I can't help you with ways to get your appetite back, except to add exercise. In the meantime, you might want to drink an ensure a day and make sure you add a daily vitamin too.

4. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 15, 2008

Wow, what has you not able to eat is it stress? I suggest vitamins also. They have those vitamin drinks like ensure my mother in law drinks those and they swear by them. They have them by the pharmacy at Walmart.

5. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 15, 2008

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. As for food, try small amounts of fruit/veggies, esp. bananas or a bowl of whole grain cereal. You don't have to eat much as long as you are eating well.

6. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 15, 2008

When I was a freshman in college I had depression hit me and hit me hard. I lost 20 lbs because I couldn't eat anything....

Drink plenty of fluids. Try to eat. It was hard for me, but I forced myself to eat a few bites per meal. (I also ended up seeing my Doctor and was put on meds.) You might want to consider seeing a doctor if you really can't eat...

7. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

Add exercise...it will help your appetite and your frame of mind. It is great for stress! Make sure whatever you do eat-- is healthy.

8. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Aug 15, 2008

I'm on depression meds..but I just started a few days ago (due to my circumstances) so maybe it just needs to kick in.

It's just really odd for me to not be able to eat anything w/o force...

9. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 15, 2008

Are you seeing a therapist elizak83? That will do you wonders.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 15, 2008

This may sound silly, but drink some chocolate milk (assuming no allergies). Not only is it incredibly comforting, but it's what my trainer recommends to replenish the body after a workout. The emotional wringer, IMHO, counts as a workout.

11. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Aug 15, 2008

My reg. doctor prescribed my meds and had to write me a referral for a therapist...I have an appt. at the end of next week..(I used to be on meds for depression and she just prescribed the stuff I was on before.)

Ive always had a little struggle w/ dpression...but I never had no appetite (but then again I've never been through this serious of a break up.)

12. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 15, 2008

I'm glad to hear that elizak83. A good therapist will give you the tools to handle the grief and adjustment.

13. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 15, 2008

I hope you're doing better than you were last week. I know how miserable you were! I lost 45 lbs after a particularly rough breakup, so I totally understand the whole not eating thing. I was literally never hungry!

I liked someone's advice about Ensure. I think that would help.

Good luck to you, sweetie!

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2008

I've been in your shoes (depression) and not eating. It was very weird because I had never ever not felt hungry. I would pick at my food and take a couple of bites. After your meds kick in, you should regain your appetite. Ensure is a good idea. Force it down and it will keep your body working properly so you can get better. Maybe milkshakes with a protein powder would be more appealing for a start?

15. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 16, 2008

Just remember that if you don't eat (or at least get nutrition from somewhere,) you'll probably get sick. You don't want a sub in the first week! :)

16. Engteach13

Engteach13 Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

I understand what you are going through. I went through the same thing earlier in the year and I lived on diced peaches for like two weeks because for some reason that is all I felt like eating. I would just eat a little bit here and there throughout the course of the day....a cookie here, a couple of grapes there....the important thing to remember is that your appetite will come back.

Another thing I would recommend is not eating alone as much as possible. I found that when others were around I had more of an appetite. I guess because I was not sitting thinking about "him."

Hang in there. I lost 15 pounds and was able to keep it off...greatest diet ever...lol...

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 16, 2008

I'm sorry you haven't been eating well & have to get on meds to help you through this time. Get better soon!

(Isn't it something how when there's a big breakup, some women need the meds, the therapist, can't eat or sleep, get depressed, cry their eyes out, can't concentrate, move back home to mom & dad, etc., etc. while the men are on w/ the next girl(s) having the time of their lives. I hate when that happens!)

18. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 16, 2008

Try Slimfast or Carnation breakfast drinks to get some needed nuitrients.....it takes a week for the meds to kick in, or so I was told...hang in there! :hugs:

19. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Aug 16, 2008

Woo hoo.. I ate some fruit today! (at a wedding I had to go to.)

He called me today to tell me how great being single is and how he went out on a date last night....do I REALLY need to know this???
    :(

20. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2008

Do you have caller I.D.? If it's him, DON'T ANSWER! He's not calling to make you feel better, that's for sure!:mad:

21. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 16, 2008

OMG!!:eek: Don't pick up again when he calls you, unless you want to tell him to go to he**!!

22. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

He is an a$$! Don't answer the phone, and if you don't have caller i.d., have your parents answer, but I'll bet he called your cellphone. He is purposely toying with your emotions. The guy is cruel and you need to stay away from him. He is not dealing with a full deck. Nobody in their right mind would want to be that heartless to somebody. Get an apartment ASAP!! The sooner you can physically and mentally remove yourself from him, the better. He scares me! If I were you, I would stay with a friend or in a hotel in the meantime. He sounds like a complete jerk! I would love to spend five minutes in a room with him.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 16, 2008

What an a-hole! Now he's being smug & flaunting that he can get anyone he wants. You could either hang up right in his face, completely avoid all his calls, or act like it doesn't bother you one bit & say good for you & then make sure you tell him you're the best he'll ever have!

24. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 16, 2008

In the event you can't avoid another call like this, this should be your response:

"It sure is, and so did I!" Even if you don't think it is and you didn't. He'll shutup!

25. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 16, 2008

Actually, those calls from him will help get you to the next step...anger! If you haven't already decided that he's not worth it, those calls should do it. No one should ever hold on to anger, but it would sure be useful right now to give you the strength to do what you need to do for yourself and not worry about him. If he tries the "I love you, I made a mistake" line, just replay that phone call in your mind to avoid caving. Wow, what an idiot!!

26. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2008

I dated a guy like yours for 5 years. He made me an emotional wreck. The last straw was when he told me we should break up. I cried and cried, but I MADE myself go out alone on New Year's Eve and that's when I met my present husband. So, of course this jerk found out and he started calling me, but my roommate saved my life by answering the phone one night. He asked her "If I was WITH someone and she told him, "yea, I THINK so." He never called me again, thanks to the smart answer from my roommate. My advice to you is the same as everyone elses on here. That guy is a first class JERK (and that's too good a word to describe him.) He doesn't love you. He wants to hold onto you like a toy and play whenever he feels like it. MOVE ON.

27. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 16, 2008

It's unhealthy for you to talk to him.

Please move on.

I think everyone here has given you really sound, caring advice. Please take it.

As quickly as you can, start thinking about your future and know that this will pass and you'll be happy again one day.

Proceed cautiously with your next relationship. I may sound like a prude, but I wouldn't get physically involved with anyone again unless I knew it was going to be for a life-time commitment. I've seen a lot, have been a life time observer of human nature, and know living an uncomplicated life is healthier and happier.

Find a "life-partner", that way you're not going to be stuck in as many emotional roller coasters.