I can't/don't make kids cry?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Em_Catz, Sep 6, 2011.

1. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 10, 2011

I have a couple that if I even redirect them they put their head down & cry. It's gotten better as they've learned that it's their behavior that I am correcting & that I still love them.

I am sure that if it goes beyond redirecting that I may have major tears.

Ah yes, some kids are supersensitive. Either that or they've learned that tears get them out of trouble.

2. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 10, 2011

I feel terrible when I "make" kids cry!!! That is NEVER my goal when correcting behavior! The goal is to help the child how to make better choices - I can do this without tears.

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2011

I just don't understand how some teachers intentionally try to make students cry, or are pleased when kids do cry. That makes no sense. Why be in the profession if that's one's goal?

4. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Sep 11, 2011

Interesting that you brought this up. I was just speaking to some co-workers about this very thing last night. I personally prefer for them not to cry from being humiliated, frightened or scared. Now on occassion they may cry once they see that I am not bending my rules to fit their demands thats a different story.

I do believe in talking to my students a lot.... understanding why they behave a certain way and letting them know that I will and have to treat everyone fairly... which means all need to follow the rules. Now if they cry as a result of that and say to theirselves, " aww man I'm not going to get my way with her... I'm so sad... I'm going to cry." Different story.

On the same note, several of my students are going through special home situations and we as teachers have to be very careful with the emotional distress that we give our students we don't want to scar them and cause them more distress when they see us.

5. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Sep 11, 2011

I'm sorry, but the term "Jack up a kid" bothers me for some reason... I realize it's slang, but for some reason it doesn't seem appropriate for a teacher to use it when referring to a student. :unsure: :confused:

6. a_apple_z_zebra

a_apple_z_zebra Rookie

Sep 16, 2011

I'd take comfort in the fact that you don't make your students cry!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2011

I understand that kids sometimes cry. That's about them.

But when the intention is to MAKE those kids cry, then it's about the teacher. And, in my humble opinon, it's mean spirited and unprofessional.

8. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Sep 17, 2011

I am happy to report that my crier has been moved to a much more suitable class that will better meet his/her needs. I am all for inclusion, but there are times it is not the correct placement!!

As I settle in to my new building, I have learned to keep my door shut. I only open it when we are entering and exiting the room. I can't stand the yelling and threatening. The sarcasm is driving me crazy. In my old building, we didn't act like these teachers act.

I know what I would like to say to them. But right now I need to take care of myself and my class. It is really hard when you are in this type of situation:(

9. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2011

I am teaching a fourth grade class. Two times this one student has cried and two times I have put my arms around him to comfort him. He cries because he is immature and he gets frustrated. If a student cries, I want to know why and how we can fix it. In my grade, it is usually frustration. Last year one of my students cried because she could not get equivelant fractions. We worked on it and now we laugh about it together. Math makes me cry sometimes too.

I do understand that if it is a tool for manipulation, that is one thing, but for a student to feel that crying is the appropriate reaction, something is wrong. I do not understand, nor will I ever, why a teacher would want a student to cry. It makes no sense. I would maybe ask the teacher why that is a goal? Just to see what the response is, what the thinking is behind it...

10. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Sep 18, 2011

I can only think of a handful of times that I contributed to a kid crying since I started teaching last year. I don't want to make kids cry. To me, that's going to breed resentment, not respect.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2011

Yeah, I don't at all like the term jacked up. The term means, at least here, to beat up. I also don't get "thisclose" to my students...that seem like a tactic to intimidate and I don't like it.

I've never intentionally made a student cry, though some have. Usually they cry because they are upset with themselves for their decisions. That I haven't been effective in my discipline because I don't reduce them to tears is incorrect.