I can't decide on how I want to celebrate my 30th birthday this year

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, May 19, 2012.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 19, 2012

I'm turning 30 in August. It's been a very tough, emotional year for me. Very. And I would like to start my new chapter in life in a very fun, carefree way.

But, I'm having a hard time deciding on what to do! Originally, I wanted to go to Europe and visit my family. However, money is tight. So, I decided I'll put it off until next year when things are looking better.

I like to travel so I want to go somewhere. I want to go somewhere I haven't been before.

Some thoughts:
    --I've been to Oahu, but would like to go to another island in Hawaii.
    --Canada (I'm thinking Vancouver) (road trip up to Vancouver, visit my brother in Seattle on the way.)
    --Alaska
    -- New York

I just can't decide! Or maybe another place that I haven't even thought about? Hmmm...

The other issue is flying. Hubby is terrified, and he's gotten me pretty paranoid too. Flying to Hawaii is pretty easy as we live in CA.

Oh, decisions, decisions....

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 19, 2012

Do you want to take an Alaskan cruise?

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 19, 2012

Mexico? You don't even have to fly from Cali, you could drive.

5. bison

bison Habitué

May 19, 2012

Alaskan cruise would be fun! Or a road trip around parts of the US you haven't seen? New York is great but might be really humid in August. I don't know if that would bother you, but it was miserable for me! I went to visit my BF's family in July last year and never want to go back in the summer (but probably will to see the family again).

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 19, 2012

My husband and I went to The Big Island (Hawaii) for a long weekend over spring break. We really liked it-it's a lot more laid back than Oahu. We only had a few days though, so we just stayed on the Kona side. I want to go back to the Hilo side, which is where they have the Volcanoes National Park. We went ziplining while we were there-it was a lot of fun!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 19, 2012

Ceasar, I would LOVE to take an Alaskan cruise! I heard they are wonderful. I'm wondering about the cost.... I didn't even think about doing that for my bday. I'll have to look into it.

Linguist, I actually have no interest in going to Mexico at this time. I just have heard too many things that are going on there... just too nervous. But, you did remind me of what I would absolutely LOVE to do... visit Machu Picchu. One day...

Bison, I did a 15 day camping road trip with a college last year (geology/anthropology class) and had such a blast. We went through Oregon, Washington, Montana, Idaho, Nevada, Wyoming, and then back into California. It was a FANTASTIC trip, but I think I need to wait another year before going on such a road trip. :D

Far, I SOOOOO want to visit Volcanoes National Park. I'm a huge geology nerd. I already planned to do that if I head back to Hawaii. AND, I also looked up ziplining, too. :)

Sigh... everything just sounds so much fun.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 20, 2012

For me, with turning 30 came the wisdom that I didn't need to rely on anyone else to have a good time, surprise, or make plans for me. We only went away for the weekend, but I researched the trip, made the hotel reservations, made dinner reservations for my birthday, and planned the itinerary. I didn't want my family or BF doing it for me. I am pretty sure I paid for everything myself, too. It was liberating.

If it was a short trip for me, I would go to Hawaii.

9. bison

bison Habitué

May 20, 2012

That road trip sounds amazing! I want to go!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 20, 2012

11. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 20, 2012

My mother celebrated her 85th by going on an Alaskan Cruise (loved it), after celebrating her 80th by going for a hot air balloon ride. She took a ride up the Mount Washington Cog Railway for her 90th. 95 is coming up in three years: rumors abound.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 20, 2012

I want to go on an Alaskan cruise. My MIL went on one and she LOVED it! I'd also love to visit Macchu Piccu!!

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 20, 2012

I've been to the Grand Canyon and it is a BLAST! I loved it!!! So breathtaking and gorgeous. And the geology nerd in me enjoyed identifying the different layers... :whistle:

Been to Navada, but never Vegas. Just Reno and Lake Tahoe. Honestly, I don't think I'm a Vegas type of gal. :p

I've always wanted to go to Maine ever since I was little and watched Murder She Wrote! Something else to consider now....

Okay, a hot air balloon ride sounds amazing. Your mother sounds like a fun gal. :) I wonder what she plans to do for her 95th? Jump out of a plane?

14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 20, 2012

Salt Lake City is cool, or the Dakotas withMt Rushmore and the little-known N. Dakota badlands and Teddy Roosevelt National Park.

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 20, 2012

I vote for Hawaii :)

16. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 20, 2012

I live in Washington State if you want some ideas up here just ask here or PM me....the San Jaun Islands are popular....quaint....take it easy feeling....people ride bikes on some of the islands or just wander around the small towns .... Mt Rainier if you haven't already been....Alaskan cruises that leave from Seattle too....lots of choices depending on what int you , time, and money!

17. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 20, 2012

A friend and I are going to New York for her 30th this summer!

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 20, 2012

I turn this big three-o this year as well. No big plans... But I hope you have a blast!

19. bros

bros Phenom

May 21, 2012

Alaskan cruises leave out of Seattle usually and cost around $800 a person

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 21, 2012

I've been to 1/2 of the 4 places you mentioned (Hawaii & NY) & I'd definitely return to them in a heartbeat! I've always heard that Alaskan cruises are great, so I'd go for that too. I'd also go to Canada.

It's been the longest time since I've been to Hawaii, so I'd probably want to return there first.

Have fun!

21. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

May 23, 2012

I highly recommend a trip through Maine and the area. We lived in Portsmouth, New Hampshire which is a great little town on the border of Maine. It's very homegrown, lots of local restarants. You can drive right up the coast to all these great summer towns: Kennenbunkport, Ogunquit are the two names I remember off the top of my head. Also, Boston is a couple hours away and I really loved Boston. You could potentially start in Boston, spend a couple days and then drive up the coast and stop at these charming towns and B&B's. I never did Niagra Falls, but that is also relatively close, maybe a day's drive away. And you could potentially roll NY city into this trip, there is a train from NY to Boston. Love me some musicals!

I've also lived on Oahu if anyone wants insider scoop for a visit there shoot me a pm for my favorite beaches and non-tourist hikes.

22. bison

bison Habitué

May 23, 2012

Great idea, Heather. Boston is a GREAT city. Love that whole area, especially Cambridge. :)

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 23, 2012

Well, it won't be for my birthday, but I just found out that next year I'm going to Punta Cana for my friends' wedding! :) Awesome! :D