I can't believe what I missed

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jd123, Mar 2, 2007.

1. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Mar 2, 2007

I subbed for a 3rd grade class today. Their was a flag salute assembly outside, then, right after, another assembly in the multipurpose room. I forgot to take the kids to the second assembly!!:eek: I was wondering why I was so ahead of the teacher's scheduled plans. When I reread everything, I realized that I completely missed the second assembly. I felt so dumb, because it was on the plans. This was a 1/2 day assignment, so I did let the teacher know what I did when she returned to the room. She was very kind, but still... OK, who can top that?

3. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Mar 2, 2007

I will tell you what I did, many years ago. I looked at the clock and thought it was time for dismissal. I had the kids get packed up and we went in the hallway to wait for the buses. About that time, the principal came and told me that it would be another hour until it was time to dismiss. So, I took the kids back and we tried to get caught up with the lesson that I thought we wouldn't have time for. I was glad when that day was over!!!!:eek:

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2007

Ouch!

Well, on a smaller note, I did miss a class (or most of it) last week.

I picked up an entirely new schedule about 3 weeks ago. Now suddenly, it matters which day of our 6 day cycle it is, since I have SAT prep classes sprinkled throughout my schedule.

It was day A, and I completely forgot I had a 3rd period SAT prep until they called down looking for me.

Oops!!

5. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Mar 2, 2007

On my original post, I was going to write their flag salute ceremony was outside. I guess I changed mid sentence. I do know their vs there!! Anyway, thanks for your stories. I haven't been subbing for very long, so I have much to learn. Hopefully, the mistakes will be minor.

6. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Mar 2, 2007

This probably isn't close but... I subbed for a second grade class not too long ago. The students were all telling me that their teacher takes the bell with her and rings it when it is time to come in. She didn't mention it in her plans but somethimes little things get overlooked. I took the bell with me and rang it at the appropriate time and the kids all lined up. Another teacher out on the playground came marching up to me and yelled that she had the whistle and she was in charge of blowing the whistle when recess was done, not me and my bell. Then she marched away and blew her whistle. I was completely embarassed and I'll listen with a grain of salt every time those little guys tell me about what teacher always does and stick to the plan.

I should probably add that they stagger recesses so I ended theirs early. I can see why she was upset.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 3, 2007

Speaking of following the plans...

I'm an aide and even though I've been in the classroom for over a year at that point, it was the first time I had subbed all day by myself. I normally never look at time and it was evident when I realized it was past recess time and I had never even given them their snack. To make matters worse, there were 2 lovebirds (1st freaking grade) who kept staring at each other during a spelling test and I hadn't finished that either. This is my own classroom. I managed to finish recess, then snack, then the test, etc. We were fine. I managed to cover all the lessons for the day (with minor modifications) ONLY because speech class (deaf ed) canceled. She didn't have enough therapist available for the group session. She stayed with me though because I couldn't finish their lessons and do the take home folders which I normally do during her speech pull out time. Whew! They went home intact! The next day was MUCH better! (subbed 2 days in a row).

8. teachabc

teachabc Rookie

Mar 5, 2007

I have overlooked things in the plans too. I think as a sub, you are so nervous and what to get every little thing done...and of course you want to be perfect too!!! We are human. Too many teachers dont realize that about subs. We DON'T know everything there is to know in that particular school. Am I right here???

9. rlbbas123

rlbbas123 Rookie

Mar 6, 2007

I have also overlooked things in the plans. I am sooooo glad I am not the only sub who is nervous, wants to do a great job, and still make mistakes. Want a Laugh- yesterday I subbed and had lunch duty and while getting the first class to line up I dropped the bucket of spoons all over the floor in front of students and teachers. What a day. I will say that sometimes I am so focused on trying to be prefect, I go home worrying myself to death over my mistakes.

10. teachabc

teachabc Rookie

Mar 6, 2007

I know EXACTLY how you feel!

11. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2007

I find it strange that no one at the assembly noticed that you were missing and didnt come to find you.
    When there is a sub on my grade level team & we have school programs I try to keep an eye out for that class...just to make sure!

12. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Mar 18, 2007

Wow, love2teach, that's a good point. Hmm.

13. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Mar 29, 2007

Just the other day I wrote on a teacher's mini white board with a permanent marker. And no, alcohol/hand sanitizer would not get it off!! I had to write an embarassing letter to the teacher and the next day brought her in a new one. That mistake cost me ten bucks and a lot of embarassment!!

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2007

But I bet it also got you a real admirer for the professional way you made up for it!

15. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Mar 29, 2007

I have written on a white board with permanent marker too. I have used white board cleaner or hair spray to get it off.

16. hatima

hatima Devotee

Mar 29, 2007

I've been in similar situations before. The other teacher didn't say anything to me. She had the whistle to end recess, it was very windy and cold. She had let recess go ten minutes late. I didn't bring mine so I just started to call the kids I was subbing for to come in. It was then she realized she'd let the kids run over. She had forgot a watch. I'm obsesive about the time. Which if I'm at a different school daily is a little bad. At one school I was nearly 10 to 15 minutes early for everything, including dismissal. I was running on my watch which was set to another schools time.

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 21, 2007

If you use Dry Erase Expo marker over permanent marker it comes right off! It is amazing. (as long as it is on a white board!)