I can't believe what I did.

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by stephanie90102, Apr 27, 2006.

1. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Apr 27, 2006

I only have six more days of teaching in my first grade classroom. My supervising teacher was out for today and there was a sub, which isn't a big deal, because she usually isn't in the classroom anymore anyways. I was in the middle of putting masking tape on the floor for a grid map activity, when the phone rang. The office told me to tell a child in my class to meet her brother and go home with his friends. So in my rush to finish taping before I had to get them from special, I put it in the back of my mind. Fast forward to dismissal. I was getting everyone ready and became preoccuppied with one boy who was bullying another, so i never told her. Twenty minutes later, the secretary calls and asks me if I gave her the message. I can't believe I forgot! I usually never do! The secretary hung up on me and said that they would track her down. I asked the teacher next door what to do and she said to not get too worried about it, as no one can remember everything. I am scared they never found her. This is a ritzy town where all the kids walk to school, but at the same time, I can't help but imagine the worst. I plan on telling my supervising teacher tomorrow, but can anyone offer me any advice to help me rest my mind? Thanks...

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 27, 2006

Have you talked to your cooperating teacher yet? If not, call her (if you can) tonight and talk to her about it.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 27, 2006

Don't worry your not the first person this has happened to. Just remember to write your self notes from now on. That is what I have to do.

5. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Apr 27, 2006

Aww, don't worry! Things like that happen! I know I have done that before! I would try to contact your cooperating teacher to show to her and the secretary that you made an effort to make it right. That is all you can do! The child will be fine! Just learn from the experience. I bet you won't make that same mistake any time soon! ;)

6. adria

adria Comrade

Apr 27, 2006

Mistakes and reflecting on those mistakes makes you a great teacher. Don't be so hard on yourself, it's great to know that you care and you are not in denial about what happened.

7. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Apr 27, 2006

And don't forget to apologize to the student tomorrow so she knows you care and felt badly for not getting the message to her. And yes, mistakes happen to everyone, we are human after all.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2006

How did the secretary know to call you after dismissal? How does the student USUALLY get home? I would have checked down in the office to see what was up. This does happen all the time though if that's of any help....We try and not change any dismissal instructions without it in writing but it does happen. I have one kid who at least once a week will tell me on the way out the door that she isn't supposed to take the bus that day. We've called the mom many times on this problem and have told her no note, no changes....but still putting the kid on the bus when I'm worried maybe she shouldn't be on the bus, maybe someone won't be home when she gets there is nerve wracking.

9. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Apr 27, 2006

That does happen a lot - especially when it isn't in writing. My specials were always at the end of the day, so if the secretary called I had to write a note and put it on the child's desk so I wouldn't forget. Later, they switched to a voice mail system so the parent could call direct and leave a message. If my light was flashing I would always check it when the students were back from their special class and I could tell them right then. At another school, it was nice - The secretary would take notes throughout the day and deliver them 30 min. before school was out. Then I could give the note directly to the student.

10. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Apr 28, 2006

I keep a section of my dry erase board for those types of messages. I am TERRIBLE at remembering things - so I have trained my kids to read the board at the end of the day and make sure to tell me if there is something written there.

The last one out the door erases it so it's clean for the next day.

Don't worry. It'll be OK.

Kelly :)

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 28, 2006

I agree with the others. It happens to all of us at one point or other. We get notes (usually) and I hang them on the door. (There's a bulletin board on the door.) Definitely be sure you talk to the student and let her know what happened. Other than that everything will be fine.

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 28, 2006

Amanda-That's what our secretaries do. They have a door with little plaques that have our names on it. All day long they put messages for students on a sticky message sheet and put it under the teacher name. 30 minutes till the end of the day they do an all call for a messenger from each classroom to get the messages. Any phone messages for the teacher are just emailed to them.

13. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Apr 28, 2006

That is a great way to handle it.

14. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Apr 28, 2006

Well, what happened? I've been worried all day...LOL.

15. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Apr 28, 2006

The little girl is safe! Apparently, she and her brother never went home with the right people and just ended up calling them to pick them up. Thanks for all the support everyone, you are all lifesavers!

16. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Apr 28, 2006

Stephanie,
    Everyone's comments are correct. Every teacher has her scary stories about missed/forgotten/never received messages. This year, after 20+ years of teaching, I found myself nervously turning on the 10 o'clock news to see if my student was reported, and if my photo would be shown as the missing link of communication.

17. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Apr 29, 2006

Don't worry. I forgot to give my ESL kindergartner his new bus stop info paper on my 2nd day. It wouldn't matter but lil guy has speech problems beyond the language barrier (I rarely understand him) and doesn't know his name is Jonathan (goes by Jonny) so he didn't respond when the bus driver called out his name. The driver was expecting a new kid and thought nothing of it. He got dropped off at his old stop and fortunately went to a neighbors. Another day his mom didn't get to the stop at the right time and drove to the school looking for him. Meanwhile he got dropped off because a woman was standing at the stop and he acted like he knew her. Again all was well. I was freaking out, I literally understand a few words he speaks.

Oh I see they are safe. Anyway...it will probably happen again:eek: Hopefully not soon!

18. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Apr 30, 2006

That is a great idea! I will keep that in mind. The end of day is always the crazies part of the day.

19. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Apr 30, 2006

A lot of teachers in my school walk around with notes safety pinned on their shirts. You can't forget about that message when every student in the school is giving you strange looks! I have had this happen to me a few times, with a student who lived in a shelter. We had to walk her to a social services agency quite a few times to be sure she got home safely!

20. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 2, 2006

Don't get so broken up about it -- mistakes happen, and the only thing you can do now is learn from the experience. What some teachers do is write each message on a post it note when they get it, then inconspicuously stick it to the student's desk while they're roaming the classroom. This way the student gets the message, it doesn't have to wait, yet doesn't cause an interruption, and they're not likely to forget it if it's sitting on their desk all day.

When I was subbing once, the office forgot to give me a similar message... oh the mother was hopping mad! I was being very responsible about it- I waited until everyone had already been picked up/ bussed out, and she was the only one left. I asked her some questions, got her mom's cell phone number, and when I went to the office to make the call, the secretary asked who I was calling and she was like, "Oh, her- there was a fax from her father today, here it is" Luckily, nothing terrible happened, the message was for her to join the after school program, which she finally did about five minutes before it was over... :)

21. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 5, 2006

Someone said apologize. Always a good idea. I have you
    beat. When I interned in PE I was teaching gymnastics.
    I had kids that could do real stunts and I was spotting them.
    I had a girl doing back hand springs (6th grader).
    I was spotting as she did some. I glanced away at another kid
    and she did one but landed on her head making her neck go
    really crooked. She had a real frightened look on her face
    but seemed ok. Next day Im called to the office to meet her parents
    with the principal. Im thinking "good lord I wont ever get to teach PE because Ive already blown it with this incident and the girl is gonna sue and blah blah blah." Turns out the parents wanted to know if I thought she was ok enough to try out for cheerleader.
    As if I could give some sorta medical opinion. (which I do alot now
    but usually say GO SEE a doctor).
    It scared me into being pretty careful my last 27 years.

22. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

May 5, 2006

Just today I pinned a note to one of my students to remind her that she was a car rider today!

No one can remember everything!

Kelly :)