I can't believe I forgot about Wish Book!!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rainbowbird, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 22, 2013

I can't believe I forgot about my Wish Book!!!!

Now hear me out. I'm not crazy, really.

About 17 years ago I was going thru a really rough patch in my life. My wedding had been called off, I was short on money, I was living in a crappy apartment, I was lonely.

I read about making a wish book in a book I was reading-- I think it was Chicken Soup for the Soul.

You take a journal or blank book (I used a photo album) and add pictures and images of all the things you want in life.

So I did it. I put in pictures of couples in love. Of people getting married. Of wedding rings. I loved log homes, so I put in some pictures of some nice ones. I added pictures of children and flowers and gardens and dogs. I had a dog, but I added pictures of the same breed because I loved them so much.

Well, I made the book and put it away. A few months later, I started hanging out with a guy I used to work with. Pretty soon we were dating. He had a dog, and his dog got along with my dog. :lol: We had a lot in common.

He loved log homes too. In fact, he had just bought one.

Well, we ended up getting married. I moved into his log home and we created beautiful gardens together. I got a better job and made more money. And then we had a beautiful family. We have a gorgeous son and daughter. We will have our 16th wedding anniversary next week.

We no longer live in the log home, but we love our new home, and have made beautiful gardens and memories here.

I don't believe in magic or ghosts or anything like that. And maybe it's coincidence, but I think it's the power of suggestion. When you see images of what you want, it clarifies your focus and you go after what you want.

Most of what I put in that book came true. I did put pictures of horses in, but eventually decided I didn't really want the expense of one along with the time they consume. But guess what, last year I inherited my MIL's horse. It's actually still stabled in another state, and is really too old to ride or move, but I DO have a horse. LOL

I did receive another dog of the same breed type that I love for free a few years ago...she just arrived into my life because she needed a home and the friend of a friend knew that I liked the breed. I got her for free although she was a purebred worth a great deal of money. (I like mutts, too, btw).

So I am off to find clippings of teachers, students, classrooms, and school supplies. Just thought I'd share. Try it, it can't hurt!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  3. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Jul 22, 2013

That's great! You know . . . that's a good assignment for students, too, ha ha.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2013

I think I need to start my own wish book!

5. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 22, 2013

:yeahthat:

6. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Jul 22, 2013

Oh boy! I'd better get started....Lord knows I could use one! Haha.

That is so cool how things happened for you though. Thanks for sharing Rainbow bird!

7. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 22, 2013

Every so often I come across something on this crazy Internet that is inspirational. :)

Thanks for this, Rainbowbird. Maybe Somebody was so impressed with your "Wish Book" that He wanted to make some of them come true! :)

My hobby is paper crafting...maybe I should make one. :)

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2013

There was a book everyone was reading a few years ago called 'The Secret'. In it, the 'law of attaction' was discussed. Inspiration boards/books like that described above are a way to focus one's motivations, energies and thoughts. It's not magic though...you have to follow thorough with actions toward those ideas.:thumb:

9. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 23, 2013

Listlady, that would be a good assignment! It could be a year-long thing.

I got out the book after I logged off last night. I hadn't taken a look at it in many years. I had forgotten about some of the things I had put in it. For example, I had pictures of families with a boy and a girl. Well, I have a son and a daughter.

I also have pictures of groups of these little dogs I like, lounging on chairs and sofas etc. This summer, I have had three of them lounging around my house! I am taking care of two for my dad, who is currently in a nursing home. I'm not happy about the reason why they're here, but I'm glad to be able to help him out this way.

Superficial thing: I put pictures of home furnishings that I liked. Was surprised to see that the bed and bedding that my husband and I picked out a few years ago almost exactly matches the ones in the book! Shaker style bed with Amish quilt. I had forgotten that I ever put it in there. I guess maybe my tastes haven't changed, but on the other hand we looked at a lot of different beds and bedding.

Friends....I devoted two pages to friendship. At the time that I made the book, I was feeling like I was short on friends. Some had moved away to take jobs, some were mutual friends with my ex-fiancée and things got weird.

I now have so many good friends who have provided so much laughter and support over the years.

I wanted a trip to a tropical place. Put a picture in...went to FL for the first time this year.

You get the idea. I do think it just focuses our needs and desires. And the only cost to making the book is the album. I actually purchased a nice one with flowers on the cover, but you could use anything you've got laying around. I used old magazines for most of the pictures. I remember making in (it was 1995, because I put the date in) and thinking, well, it can't hurt to try. And things just got better from there.

I'm glad that some of you enjoyed reading about my journey. :love:

10. SPEDteach1017

SPEDteach1017 Rookie

Jul 23, 2013

Thanks for your post, rainbowbird! I have been reading books about the power of positive thinking, and everything you said totally makes sense!
    Think I'm going to start on my "wish book" now!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2013

This is a wonderful idea, Rainbowbird. I'm going to start one for myself and think about how I could use this as a year-long activity for my students.

12. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 23, 2013

Its like the Vision Board from The Secret..The Law of Attraction :D

Place photos, clippings, sayings, etc. of all the things you want to attract in your life!!!!! If you're a Scrapbooker you can use your supplies for the vision board.

I have one :)

13. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 23, 2013

So one more thing happened today. Last night when I read the wish book, I noticed one page that I really hadn't done anything about. An area of my life that I have neglected. That would be art and creativity. I used to paint a lot and make things, like crafts, too, but I haven't done anything for years, about 10 to be precise. I thought, "I've got to do something about this!"

So today the phone rings and it is a friend who I haven't talked to since Feb. She signed up for watercolor classes and wanted to know if I would like to do it with her! I was going right by the studio this afternoon on my way to run errands, so I said, I'm doing it, and went in and signed up. So I will be painting every Thur. from 5-7! Classes start in Sept. I thought about the fact that I might get a job and will feel too busy and stressed. But then I remembered how last year when I was teaching, I was so busy and stressed and felt like I had nothing else in my life except teaching. Not a good feeling!

I highly rec this wish book to everyone!

14. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 23, 2013

It does sound very similar!

15. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 23, 2013

Definitely!!!!! :)

16. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 23, 2013

If I get a job--excuse me, WHEN I get a job, I am going to have my students do one, as well!

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2013

Glad you changed that to WHEN!!!