I Can't Believe I Did This!!

Discussion in 'Paraprofessionals' started by txteach2b, Dec 10, 2012.

1. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Dec 10, 2012

I was emailed earlier last week to sub for a teacher Thursday and Friday (one class only), and I told the AP I could do it. I didn't erase the message, so I would remember, and it got buried. I was thinking about the sub job the day before I was scheduled to do it, and for some reason, I thought it was for the next week. I went on to my regular class Thursday. I thought all was OK until the AP passed by me in the office later in the day...

AP: "How did things go with Mr. Teacher's class this morning?"

ME: "That was today??" :eek:

AP: "Yeah. You mean you forgot?"

ME: "Yes. For some reason, I thought it was for next week!" :eek:

AP: "You mean they were totally unattended?"

ME: "Yes." :eek: :eek:

AP: "DON'T FORGET ABOUT TOMORROW!!" (with no yelling, but I could hear it in his voice that he was frustrated)

ME: "Writing a note right now, before I forget!!"

That was the first time in weeks I had been emailed beforehand about subbing for a teacher, and I usually write the notices on the board, but for some reason, this time, I didn't. I feel so embarrassed that I forgot to go to a class!!

The next day when I went to the class, another AP was unlocking the door, and a student was telling her about the day before. They sat there the whole time, and didn't tell the office no one was there to supervise. When I asked why they didn't say anything, the AP looked at me and said something along the lines of they wouldn't say anything just so they could have a free day.

This is only the second time that's happened since I started working here, and it's been seven years now. The first time was in my very first year. I just hope it doesn't happen again. I was kicking myself hard for that one! Others told me not to worry too much about it, that we all make mistakes. Thing is, I usually don't make mistakes like that!!

3. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Dec 10, 2012

I wouldn't worry about it. We all make mistakes and it's in the past and has already happened. The only thing you can do, is do better next time and not be so hard on yourself. If you were really in trouble, they would have terminated you but they didn't so you are still in good standing, to change.

When I started off as a Teacher's assistant my first year, I made alot of mistakes. But I vowed to change them and do better, now it's been 3-4 years, and I do alot better. The longer you work in school, the better you get at it. So don't be so hard on yourself. As long as they didn't terminate you, you still have a chance to turn this whole thing around by working harder. I hope this helps : )

4. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Dec 10, 2012

Yeah. I've been here seven years, and rarely make mistakes like that. He just had this look on his face, like...irritation or something. Thing is, he can't say much, because he's quite forgetful himself. Looking back on it now, it's like...oh well. Things happen.