I cannot get an interview!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Discouraged, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Discouraged

Discouraged Rookie

Jun 27, 2007

Please help me.
    I recently graduated with honors and now hold a BS in Elementary Education. I have personally dropped off my resume to seven schools in my district. I have it in a nice presentation folder, on quality resume paper, with a cover letter, letter of recommendation from my professor who supervised my final internship, and copy of my honors certificate. I have followed up with phone calls and e-mails. I am even in contact with my former elementary school principal who is now the director of elementary schools in my county. He has contacted the schools on my behalf as well.

My application is complete with the county, and I have selected the postings for which I have dropped off my resume. I have also applied for my 5 year professional certificate. In addition, I am ESOL endorsed and a member of NCTM.

I am baffled because the only phone call I received was from my Level II internship principal, letting me know the position was filled internally and the posting was a formality. I am aware of a peer graduate who had to take her state certification exam 4 times before passing... and she has a job!!!:confused:

Please help me. No one is contacting me and I don't understand why.

Signed,
    Discouraged
    Manatee County, Florida

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 27, 2007

You are going to have to branch out more. Usually FL has a lot of teaching opps out there.

I know how discouraging it can be. I tried to get hired on in the county where I went to college... REALLY HARD to do if you don't know the RIGHT people. I went to church with a board member and I couldn't get a teaching job. I got a Title 1 assistance job but it was like pulling teeth to even get it it seemed.

Good luck with your hunt!! Don't give up!!

4. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Jun 27, 2007

Can you contact the human resources office for the district? Usually there is someone that specializes in the hiring for elementary and then someone who specializes in secondary. They should be able to tell you about open positions. Would you be willing to start looking in another district just so you have more options? I know how frustrating it is when you are looking for a job. Hang in there.

5. Discouraged

Discouraged Rookie

Jun 27, 2007

Manatee County has an internet based system with job postings. It tells the posting date, closing date and e-mails me when new postings open and old ones close. I also check several times daily. I know where the openings are and take my resume personally. I haven't gotten any response. I don't even get a response to my follow up e-mails or calls.

6. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Jun 27, 2007

I think you should start looking in other districts.

7. MrsV

MrsV Rookie

Jun 27, 2007

I would suggest looking at surrounding districts and apply every where you can.

I just graduated and a lot of my peers wanted to get a job in the huge district where our college was located. The jobs just are not there. But there are plenty of positions available to surrounding communities. Many of my peers are still holding out for those non existant positions in that big district and may not have a job come August.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2007

7 schools may not be enough. I have teachers in my school who commute 45 minutes to an hour to get to work. Don't limit yourself. And don't compare yourself to the teacher who had to take the licensure test 4 times- some people are not good test takers but may still interview well, have a great personality with colleagues and kids and be great teachers. Focus on yourself- branch out and seek out opportunities where-ever they are.

9. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jun 27, 2007

One thing I know about the district that I NOW work in, they want experience. Especially for general edu positions. They are fine with hiring brand new teachers right out of college for most sped positions, because not everyone wants to teach sped.

I am finishing up my 2nd year teaching in a district, 45 mins away from my house. Next year I'm going to be teaching in my home town district, where the school is like 10 mins away from my house.

When I first interviewed with my home town district, they always hired someone with some experience. I had some experience teaching at an after school program and summer school, but they wanted somone with at least 2 years of experience.

Also, in most districts now, teachers are switching positions within a district. I know that has been happening in my home town district. In their master contract it states they have first dibs on any job over anyone else. Principals also received emails from the head HR person stating that they couldn't hire outside the district.

Also, it is always who you know too. If you don't have strong enough recommendations (that people know within your district) then good luck. I was very lucky that I had a recommendation from within my home town district. She works as a consultant to many of the schools there. Not stating that she is the reason why I got the job, but she did give me an excellent recommendation. I also know that the other person that interviewed against me was someone who just graduated from college. I had 2 years of experience over this person.

10. Georgia"Teach"

Georgia"Teach" Rookie

Jun 27, 2007

I am recent college grad who also graduated with honors, along with excellent test scores, great references, and a bazillion college activities. The bad news? It took me about 4 months to finally secure a job. The good news? I got one!

Like you, I didn't want to apply outside my immediate district. I grew up in an amazing public school system in Georgia that is growing rapidly, even adding three new secondary schools this year! After attending job fairs, emailing old teachers/principals, and speaking with family friends, I soon began to realize that I had to start looking elsewhere. I applied to eight districts total! It took forever, but I landed a job at an equally nice school outside of my alma mater district. It was hard to let go, but it paid off. I am really excited about starting the new school year.

So, to make a long story short, research other districts and apply to those. It's true that teachers are needed everywhere, but don't settle for anything you aren't comfortable with. Plus, you never know what great school lies outside of your home territory!

11. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jun 27, 2007

You need to apply in multiple districts.

Some districts do not start hiring until late july/early aug when their enrollment is solid.

12. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jun 27, 2007

Don't give up hope Discouraged!

It sounds like you have excellent qualifications and credentials to teach. Unfortunately, getting an interview is a tricky, tricky business.

A lot of it has to do with who you know and I really think that another huge part has to do with timing. I'm sure the district you're applying to receives tons and tons of applications and sometimes the people who get called to interviews happen to be the ones that come across their desk at exactly the right time.

The other problem for new teachers, is a lack of experience. Many districts won't even consider teachers without experience. It has nothing to do with you, it's just their policy. It sucks, but it's the way it is.

I really suggest that you widen your job search. I applied everywhere that had an open position in my area. Everywhere. I couldn't even tell you how many districts I actually applied to LOL

But it worked! I now have a position in a district that I initially didn't even know existed until I applied there. It turns out that it's a great fit for me as a first year teacher.

You never know what may end up being a great fit for you, so apply everywhere and see what happens. Finding a job is the goal. Once you've had a job and gotten experience built up, you can be more choosey about the exact district you want to teach in.

Good luck and keep at it!

13. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jun 27, 2007

The issue with applying outside one's own district in Florida is that our districts divided along county lines. A job in another county can be quite a commute. For example, I'm in Palm Beach County, which is (literally) the size of Rhode Island. If I were to work in another district I'd have to drive to Broward County (45 minutes away), Martin County (an hour away) or Hendry or Glades County (over an hour away).

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2007

Unfortunately, you might have to consider moving in order to get a job. I had to move across the country to find a teaching job. Although my subject area is short on teachers, most of the open positions are in places I'd prefer not to live. And NONE of them are in my home district. My options were either a) to move, and b) to not teach.

In many districts, elementary ed teachers are a dime a dozen. It's not unusual for there to be literally hundreds of applicants for a single open position. I think that in most of these cases the person with the best contacts is the one who gets the job.

I agree that seven schools is definitely not enough. You should be applying to dozens of schools. I really think you will need to consider teaching in a different district, or even in a different state. It's perfectly acceptable if you aren't willing to do so, but then you might need to look at waiting a loooooong time for a position.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2007

OK but how about seeking out more than 7 scools in your district? And if you really want to work you will commute or relocate to do it. Teachers in my district (a few) drive 45 minutes to get to my school. I commute only 20 minutes but my school is worth the longer commute for those who make it.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2007

I know of teachers who commute 45 minutes. That's the norm! It's very hard to get a teaching job. I, luckily, only have to travel about 20 minutes to get to my school. I think, when I first graduated, I must have applied to at least 10 school districts. I had to inteview at three different school districts before finally getting hired. I know of some subs who have been trying to get a job for 3 or more years! Be patient. There are many, MANY who have been looking for a long time. Eventually, life will lead (drag) you to the school that you are meant to be at.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2007

18. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 27, 2007

Districts are also divided along county lines in Nevada. In Northern Nevada, it's easier to apply to other districts because they are near one another (about an hour for some, only 20 minutes for others, depending on where you live.) I was hired in the district I live in, and my commute will be about 30 minutes, but that's pretty average around here.

Be very aggressive with dropping off resumes. I spent two days driving throughout my district, dropping off a resume at every school that had an opening. In the end, though, a lot of it is who you know. I was offered two positions, but both were friends with the principal and vice principal at the school I student taught at. I also worked in the district (at the school where I student taught) for about 2 years before I did my student teaching. I was able to establish a good rapport, and because my principal and vice principal knew what I had to offer, they were able to help. Talk to anyone you know in the district....everyone knows someone. See if they can put a good word in for you.

19. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 27, 2007

It might be a matter of timing - I know here a lot of principals are on vacation for most of the month of July, but sometimes there are teachers who decide not to return; so there might be a call even in August where a position opened up at the last minute.

Have you had someone else look over your resume, etc? I had a friend who went to 4 interviews before a principal pointed out a pretty glaring mistake on her resume.

It took me over a year to find a position after I was certified, but I truly think it was meant to be, because I am really happy where I ended up. Just keep at it. If you don't have anything when school starts up again, consider subbing to make contacts at schools or even a teaching assistant job, if you can afford to.

20. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Jun 28, 2007

You've only applied to 7 schools, within ONE district and are feeling discouraged???

I'm not sure what the availability of teaching jobs is like in FL, but here in NJ, it's a nightmare.

I've sent out over one hundred resumes- to one hundred districts (not individual schools yet)... including places I would prefer not to teach, and those up to an HOUR away from me. I've had 2 job interviews so far, one screening, and one planned for tomorrow. That's 4 interviews (only 3 were official)... from 100 districts.

You haven't been called to interview, because you've only applied to one district! It's extremely hard to get an interview, and you're limiting yourself.

21. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

Um, I'd like to remind everyone that I wasn't the original poster, so there's no need to chastise me for not wanting to commute more than an hour - I was just trying to add some insight. I've personally accepted that I may not get a position in my home district, which is fine - I've been working in the corporate sector my entire adult life, so another year or two isn't going to kill me. When it's my time to teach, I'll be hired. For some people, an hour-long commute or moving to another area simply isn't an option, as we may have to consider spouses, elderly/ill relatives, etc. Telling us, "if you really want to work you'll commute or relocate" is insulting, and you don't know our situations. My husband, for example, can't move out of Palm Beach County; I'm certainly not going to leave him and maintain a separate household.

22. teach101

teach101 Companion

Jun 28, 2007

I agree. I am in the same boat Edelweiss. I am currently employed in the corporate sector so feel like I can be more particular in where I apply. I am trying not to drive over 30-45 minutes, if possible. I have two small kids and want to have time with them too, not commuting one hour+. If I don't find my dream job I can always try next year. We all have our own priorities.

23. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

I'm sure that no one meant to imply any one who isn't willing to commute is a bad or un-dedicated teacher.

Nobody wants to commute, but it is often a reality with teaching. I'll be commuting 20 minutes each day, which I am over the moon about. It could be a lot worse.

I think the point is that if you really want a job, you have to be willing to apply to lots of places and just see what happens. Applying outside of your preferred district doesn't mean you have to teach there, it just opens up more options for you to consider.

If you're someone who is willing to wait a long time for a position to open up close to home, then that's totally your choice. I'd just be worried that time would hurt your situation instead of helping it. If the district you want to get into is high in demand, they may only take applicants with experience.

Sometimes you have to work somewhere you may not want to for a while to gain some experience in order to be considered for your ideal location.

24. lcc2shc

lcc2shc Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

I'm sorry that you are having such a hard time finding a job. You live in the same county as some of my family. That's so funny that we are that close. I live in Lee county. I hope that someone calls you soon so that you can get the job you want. (((hugs)))

Lori

25. MrsV

MrsV Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

I totally agree with hawkteacher. We all have priorities in our lives. If you really want (or need) a teaching position this year, you may have to make some sacrifices. I think that this is the case in any career.

Some may not have the luxury of waiting it out. I know a lot of my peers are really counting on a job this year. You have to do what you have to do to get a job.

But like I said it is a personal decision. You have to weigh it out: Do you want a job this year or can you hold out for your dream job that may or may not open up this year?

26. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

I don't think anyone was trying to upset you. Teaching is a job that in many areas you will need to wait a long time or move in order to get a job.

I know several teachers who needed to move to Virginia to get jobs. It is tough here in New York. There are people waiting for jobs to open up for many years before getting one. Sorry if I missed it, but is it true you are only certified in el. ed? If so, that could be a problem. Good luck:rolleyes:

27. storyh

storyh Companion

Jun 30, 2007

Don't give up hope. The right job is out there. Branch out. I have had difficulty getting interviews and jobs and more than likely will be driving 45 mins. -1 hour when school starts up. Good luck and keep trying.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2007

No one meant to insult you. Of course not everyone can relocate, or wants to.

But, not knowing the personalities involved, all we have to react to is the words in the posts. So the original poster, who "cannot get an interview" has been offered a variety of strategies which may or may not apply to her or you or anyone else looking for a job. We're just trying to provide options, not insult or pigeonhole anyone. We're hoping that one of these suggestions will be an "Oh, yeah, why didn't I think of that??" suggestion that gets her and you and everyone else a job.

29. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jun 30, 2007

Nice wording, we need to be honest here in order to be helpful. :love:

30. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 1, 2007

I moved across the country to teach in a poor, urban school, and I am incredibly grateful (now) that I did. It was VERY challenging. But, I moved back, and got a job at my first choice of schools. It was a difficult job, and my hat goes off to inner city teachers who do it for years and years. Anyway, people (especially in suburban school) will look at that on your resume like they struck gold.