I can only be as good as the tools I am provided allow me to be

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Mr Magoo, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Nov 29, 2016

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 29, 2016

Good information to give to the teachers here. Did your note to the main classroom teacher include information on the problems with taking attendance? It might be that he or she had NO CLUE the information was so out of whack.

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2016

Sometimes the tools may not be perfect, but flexibility is an important skill as a teacher - whether the regular teacher of a sub - and you want to make sure you can figure out a way around any problems that arise. Next time, you may consider calling the office and letting them know: they might be able to print correct roll sheets for you (if not immediately, certainly by the end of the first class). And yes, sometimes sub notes will require that you do a little bit of your own thought process, whether writing something on the board, setting something up really quickly, etc... Definitely give feedback to the regular teacher about anything so they can make sure it's better the next time, but also know that it's your job to make it work for that day!

Caesar753 and dgpiaffeteach like this.
  5. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Nov 29, 2016

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    mathmagic likes this.
  6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2016

There you go! Problem solve the situation - and here, you gave a concern, but do the best with that concern: send a student that you see making wise choices at the beginning of the time.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2016

Couldn't you just take attendance on the rosters provided and add the names of any additional students to the bottom?

Teaching is all about flexibility and resourcefulness. Something like an inaccurate roster wouldn't even be a blip on my radar, honestly, because I'm so used to things not going as planned.

teacherintexas and mathmagic like this.
  8. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Dec 1, 2016

Wow. I would feel absolutely lost if I had no way to contact the office other than via student. What if a fight breaks out? What if you need them quicker than a student can get there.

I guess I'm spoiled, our school allows the subs not only to use the computers, but we have our own login. All the classrooms have phone as well. I rarely have roll sheet issues.

9. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Dec 3, 2016

I have a low tolerance for stupid schools and the people who work there. In this situation, I simply would not sub for them.

Regarding the rosters not being accurate, I run into this all the time. It is a pain. I have had classes where 10-15% of the class roster is inaccurate. Students on the roster have moved, transferred, in reform school, jail, had a baby, etc., and new students are now in the class. In schools where I have online attendance, I ignore the paper rosters and seating charts since I assume they are not updated.