I can never just be easy . . .

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by GG Fan, Jun 15, 2010.

1. GG Fan

GG Fan Rookie

Jun 15, 2010

I'm in an interesting situation. My position this past year included three different roles. For next year, two of my roles have been given to other staff members, leaving me as a part-time employee. This was not done based on my performance; my evaluations were good and the principal said he was asked before I was hired if there was a way to divvy these duties up. Since he was new to the school too, he wanted to see how things worked first. Right before school got out the principal asked me if I would be interested in any of the aide positions that would be available. Basically, I would be a part-time teacher (1/2 my salary and 1/2 my insurance paid) and a part-time aide (hourly rate). I guess I was relieved at first because part-time isn't going to cut it and I would have to find something to supplement. However, the more I thought about it the more upset I got . . . because I realized that two of the aide positions he offered me are the aide positions that correspond to my director roles that he gave to other people! So basically I was demoted. And obviously I'm looking for a full-time teaching position.

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2010

So did you tell him yes IF another full time position doesnt come along?

4. GG Fan

GG Fan Rookie

Jun 15, 2010

When I was told my teaching position was being cut to part-time I told him I would keep it unless a full-time position came along. I haven't given an answer about the aide positions yet. Next week I will probably tell him that I will take one of the aide positions, but not either of the two related to my previous duties. I can't see NOT taking it and supplementing our income, but I do think most of the aide pay will end up going to childcare. I need to crunch some numbers and see if we would actually keep more money in our pockets if I just worked part-time. But if I should be lucky enough to be offered a full-time teaching position later this summer, I will take it.

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2010

Yes, childcare can be expensive, definitely crunch those numbers!!!

6. GG Fan

GG Fan Rookie

Jun 15, 2010

What a tangled web we weave! I got a call this morning for an interview!! However, it's for another part-time position. But, it is 12 miles closer to home and I would get to teach in an area I enjoy. I'm still going to have to crunch numbers, but I'm definitely going to go to the interview and learn what I can.

7. GG Fan

GG Fan Rookie

Jun 24, 2010

Oh my gosh! I just noticed what my thread title says!! It's supposed to say "IT can never just be easy"!!! Oops!

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with Headstart. We have several teaching positions open in my area (including some right here in my town). I quickly crunched some numbers and it looks like I would be making roughly about the same at Headstart as I would as part-time teacher/part-time aide at my school. Headstart also offers insurance and a retirement plan. But I worry about leaving public school and getting out of the system. Maybe I'm better off just staying where I am? Any words of wisdom?

8. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jun 24, 2010

EDIT: Never mind. I got the pre-school part right, but it is not a gifted program. It is a program focused more on a young child's well-being, especially ones who come from a low-income family.

I have no advice to give, other than if you quit the part-time job, you would lose a lot of your networking in the public school. Do you think you were making progress with your networks to secure a future position?

9. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2010

HeadStart is very respectable experience so you should have absolutely no worries that it will be frowned upon.

10. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Jun 24, 2010

In my area, Headstart works very closely with the public school system's pre-k, to make certain the transition is smooth. Good luck!!!

11. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Jun 24, 2010

I teach Head Start and am part of our school district. We work closesly with the elementary schools to ensure smooth transitions to kindergarten. We share the many staff development days and I am on several commitees with elementary teachers in our district. We even host the kidergarten team meeting (meets each month with all the K teachers in our distric) at our Pre-k building 1 per year. I am not sure how it works with other districts.

12. GG Fan

GG Fan Rookie

Jun 29, 2010

Thanks for all the insight into Headstart. I didn't realize they worked so closely with the public schools.
    I have made some decisions this past week. 1) I'm not going to consider any part-time positions or any outside of the public school system. It's so hard to get into the system right now that it's probably not a good idea to take myself out. 2) I called the principal and told him I would take one of the aide positions. He did let me have first choice, but since I was waffling between two positions I said he could assign me one of them (but I also mentioned there was one in particular that I do not want) 3) I'm going to keep looking for a full-time position but I accept that I may have to just suck it up where I'm at for this year. 4) I'm going to be happy that I have a teaching job. Even though it's not an ideal situation, at least I don't HAVE to find another job.
    I appreciate everyone's advice. I'm still holding out hope that one of these days it will all be easier - that I'll find that job close to home, that pays decently, and allows me to teach what I want to teach.